Does an artistes charachter affect how you listen to their music?

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is NOT specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Moshe
Ultimate Member

Does an artistes charachter affect how you listen to their music?

Post by Moshe » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:42 am

This question arises following a discussion on the US chat show The View, and the issue has been raised elsewhere regarding Michael Jackson following a tabloid TV show making unproven allegations.
The suggestion regarding MJ was that radio stations should stop playing his music. This appears absurd because A) there is no proof of guilt and B) Michael Jackson is the most influential figure in pop music over the past half century.
Of course Garry Glitter is never played, but then he never mde any music of worth & was emphatically proved guilty.

But i think for most of us there is some line beyond which we cannot appreciate someones music.
In country music, the most despicable person to have lived was Spade Cooley. A minor figure in western swing Spade not only brutally murdered his wife when she asked for a divorce after one too many beatings, but he forced his 5 year old daughter to watch telling her "You're going to watch me kill her". There is no coming back from that and this violence and sadism had been evident throughout his life.
So, no, I would not listen to anything Spade Cooley did.

Then there is Wagner, poster child of the Nazis and advocate of mass extermination 'before the Holocaust happened. Luckily for me, I can't stand the overblown BS of his grandiose compositions, but even if I did like his music- (many do)- I would find it hard to separate the music and the man.

Beyond that? I do not care about a musos political affiliation, whether they sleep around or anything else.
But many people do. The Dixie Chicks were hated on after a throw away comment, Leann Rimes was hated on for her sex life.
Of course it is nice when someone whose music you like appears to be a wonderful person. But I would be severely limiting my musical listening if I were to reduce it to only those I agreed with or even liked.

The question is, the art or the artiste? Do we judge the art by the character of the person who makes it?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)

kev
Ultimate Member

Re: Does an artistes charachter affect how you listen to their music?

Post by kev » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Spade Cooley "A minor figure in Western swing"??? His band were second only to Bob Wills in the 1940s and he had a live syndicated TV for about 10 years. He wrote "Shame On You", which has probably been sung by every country singer ever! Minor?? Yeah it's true that he appears to have been a right b*stard but I was listening to and enjoying his music before I read about his life so I continue to enjoy it!

Gary Glitter? Yeah, his music hasn't stood the test of time - not that you ever hear it anywhere - but he was an important part of the whole glam rock thing in the early 70s and it's weird to see his input being totally written out of history!

No, I think it's the art for me! As for Jacko, his music is a bit like Queen for me: I accept it's well done but it's been played too, too much over the years and I'll happily never hear it again! Oh, and he had a dodgy nose!!

Moshe
Ultimate Member

Re: Does an artistes charachter affect how you listen to their music?

Post by Moshe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Yeah, I think I has to be up to every person to find their own limits.
The fact that Wagner, who advocated mass extermination, is still played and enjoyed by many sensible people. A leading Jewish Israeli composer regularly conducts Wagner compositions & maintains it is the art that is important, not who created it.
I'l go along with that. As to MJ, I think he was an amazing performer, a creative genius but totally bonkers. I do not think he was a paedophile, though he did weird things.
People argue as to whether Lewis Caroll was a paedophile. In my learned opinion I think that like MJ he was a-sexual, but a literary genius.
I think we have to keep it to the art not the creator.Otherwise we may be down to burning books, CD's & destroying digital files!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)