W21 & Chris Country Radio

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is NOT specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

W21 & Chris Country Radio

Postby SaloonGirl on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:00 am
IP:

Here's a couple of website members may be interested in....

www.w21music.com
www.chriscountry.co.uk - available in DAB but only locally. So, you'll be able to listen on the car stereo to your favourite country artists.

Both are sponsors of the inaugural "Buckle & Boots Country Festival" in June in the Stockport/Manchester area. Details at http://www.buckleandboots.co.uk

Enjoy!
Saloon Girl x
SaloonGirl

Re: W21 & Chris Country Radio

Postby PeterJD on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:18 am
IP:

Saw this, great news that Phil Vasser is over for that festival and he has been added to the pop up stages at c2c, alas booked up for the dates of the first festival and off to Glasgow for c2c.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD
Supreme Member

Postby livewirer on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:05 am
IP:

SaloonGirl wrote:Here's a couple of website members may be interested in....

www.w21music.com
www.chriscountry.co.uk - available in DAB but only locally. So, you'll be able to listen on the car stereo to your favourite country artists.
Both are sponsors of the inaugural "Buckle & Boots Country Festival" in June in the Stockport/Manchester area. Details at http://www.buckleandboots.co.uk
Enjoy!

W21Music seem to be very active on the scene the last 12 months. They have and are sponsoring several live events and festivals. I think they are actually promoters because of artists that they profiling on their website. These include some very big names like Zac Brown and The Band Perry.
They started a 24/7 radio stream on Jan 1st. I listened to the first few days but haven't since. The CEO complained about the lack of support and ignoring UK artists on National radio (despite Radio 2 playlisting many C2C Pop Up stage acts) hence the station playing a lot from their roster.
They quote "w21Music Live is Dedicated to Playing the Very Best UK Country Music 24/7 with a Few of Your Favourites from Around the World, Live Shows, Competitions, Interviews and Much More"

W21 Music Awards were announced on Weds 30 Dec 2015
UK Awards: 4 went to The Shires.
UK EP of the Year 2015: Megan O'Neill with COMING HOME - They sponsor/promote her
Musician of the Year: Glen Mitchell - They sponsor/promote him

Chris Country Radio - I've listened to a few interviews on this station. Apart from that just a few hours streaming the "robotic" (no human) playout tracks and became bored. The station is getting a lot of attention on social media and in the press. David Allen in Country Music People wrote using Chris' words that "He is obsessed with American mainstream country". Because of this I'm not a fan. I prefer a variety with lots of worldwide Inde acts. When W21 came online with their radio station I wondered if this might draw audience from Chris Country Radio, CMR Nashville, UKCountryRadio and other 24/7 stations. Ran a 24 hour survey on social media and Chris Country Radio was a clear winner.

How many Forum Members listen to these stations and who is your favourite :?:

Chris Country were a sponsor at the 2015 BCMWards and for W21's International Awards:
Chris Country Radio International Awards:
International Male Artist of the Year: Luke Bryan
International Female Artist of the Year Award: Carrie Underwood
International Duo Of The Year Award: Striking Matches
International Band Group of the Year Award: Lady Antebellum
International Newcomer of the Year Award: SaraBeth - W21 Music sponsor/promote her
International Song of the Year Award: Kacey Musgraves "Biscuits"
International EP of the Year Award: SaraBeth with self titled EP
International Album of the Year Award: Zac Brown Band with JEKYLL and HYDE - W21 Music sponsor
International Video of the Year Award: Maddie and Tae "Girl in a Country Song"

I was critical of Zac Brown Band with JEKYLL and HYDE for choice of International Album of the Year Award which they couldn't understand. To my ears just 2 tracks which you can call "country", hence the album TITLE as its all over the place genre/style wise. Making that their top pick worries me.

PeterJD wrote:Saw this, great news that Phil Vasser is over for that festival and he has been added to the pop up stages at c2c, alas booked up for the dates of the first festival and off to Glasgow for c2c.

Buckle & Boots Country Festival: Dates: 24th, 25th & 26th June, 2016
Weekend Ticket (£50), Friday (£20), Saturday (£25) and Sunday only (£25) Tickets
Festival partners include Chris Country Radio and W21 Music.
Buckle & Boots wrote:“We’re delighted to be bringing in multi chart-topping country powerhouse Phil Vassar from the US to help us establish the festival and make it a must-attend event for country fans annually right here in the UK.

The first round of artists (full band sets) were announced (Mon 25 Jan 2016): Jess and the Bandits (US/UK), Raintown (Scot) & Gary Quinn (UK).
I'm not familiar Phil Vassar with his music, don't have anything. Having to listen to his music to see if I remember any of it :!: With him coming to C2C started looking into his profile. Regarding his songwriting recognize all the 90s #1s by other artists written by Vassar.
In 2002 he won Top New Male Vocalist during the 37th Academy of Country Music awards. In Feb 2010 he ended his first European concert tour. TRAVELING CIRCUS his fifth studio album made little impact peaking at #29 on top country Albums. NOEL his first holiday album I remember wasn't up to much. Since then has done anything signficant unless someone can put me right :?: So C2C and Buckle & Boots seems like an opportunity to relaunch himself.
So C2C is a chance to see him for FREE.

It will be interesting to see how well this sells. Raintown (Scot) Gary Quinn and Luke & Mel all 2013 BCMAward winners at the time were on the Wolvestock Festival line up for 2014 (moved indoors to Wolverhampton Civic) with cheaper ticket prices than Buckle & Boots.
Due to poor ticket sales the Festival was scrapped. Wolvestock returned last year without them probably with other acts that came cheap.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby livewirer on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:37 pm
IP:

Yer another mention in Country Music People (David Allan) for Chris Radio.
he wrote...with just a hint of British sparce presentation it's young fresh and strangely additive even to an old stager like me"

I'm still hearing young Brit artists say they don't listen to radio very much. They seem to find music on YouTube.
This must be by chance? How can you put a name into a streaming service search without having heard them first on radio?
I'm presuming they must pick up on music on social media.
A lot of this explains why so few young Brit artists seem to promote their music to radio.
Just telling your social media followers can hardly be enough, what about the rest of the world!
Discuss
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music