Frustration with UK acts

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Frustration with UK acts

Postby PeterJD on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:58 am
IP:

I have a frustration at the moment, it concerns but isn't limited to UK Country artists. I say not limited to as Toby Keiths merch company is exactly the same.
I ordered a Toby Keith T-shirt September the 1st, got charged double, got a refund and then it took 2 months to come.

My gripe though is with unnamed but multiple UK artists. I buy stuff, I buy a lot of CD's from UK artists as I feel they should get my money over larger, bigger US artists. Now my irritation is, and this happens a lot multiple times over the last 12 months, that either the stuff isnt sent or its sent a long time after I order it. To the point now I really wont bother any more. Its like acts dont want my money.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD
Supreme Member

Re: Frustration with UK acts

Postby Smudger on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:18 pm
IP:

I think that some UK acts prefer to sell their CDs at their gigs rather than by mail order. It's a lot less hassle and they maybe haven't got a "team" (or a mrs!) to deal with mail order. Don't imagine that's the problem with Toby Keith though!
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:41 pm
IP:

Personally, I have always, and continue to despatch purchased items within 24 hours as this reflects the professional environment we should ALL aspire to. Solid business sense to keep your customers satisfied and encourage repeat sales. Saddens me to hear of, and see such practices. B
LoneShark

Postby Smudger on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:52 pm
IP:

LoneShark wrote:Personally, I have always, and continue to despatch purchased items within 24 hours

I can vouch for that!
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:14 pm
IP:

I can vouch for that too. Maybe you are the standard I expected from others. 2 acts have had my money and even after chasing them up, nothing. Its happened in the past too. Very frustrating.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD
Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:39 pm
IP:

Thank you both. It frustrates me to hear this Peter, the acts should be ashamed of themselves as they only serve to confirm the amateurish industry (!) British Country Music is seen to be.

I have seen many acts' CDs for sale and for the most part, are poor quality packaging full of standard covers, although strangest enough this seems to be what most people want! For my part, if I want to hear Tougher Than The Rest, then I will buy Bruce, as why would I wish to hear inferior versions?
LoneShark

Postby lo&m on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:23 pm
IP:

I would say that if a person likes hearing a different version of Tougher Than The Rest, they should be able to buy a copy of that version if they so wish. As a musician yourself, you know that everybody has their own style that they bring to whatever they record. Singer X, playing with band Y and recording at studio Z isn't going to sound like Bruce and the E Street band recording at Columbia no matter how hard they try. As to whether that different version is "inferior" or not, surely that is for the ear of the beholder to decide? Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Same thing with covers in general: it does "seem strange" that in the world of British Country music, a lot of people, maybe even "most" people, prefer covers to original material. It's like that Confederate Railroad song goes: "We don't want to hear original material unless we've heard it before." Maybe they' feel comforted by familiar songs? Maybe they lack the will to take a risk on something they might not like? I don't know. I don't have the answer. I'm just glad that there are artists like yourself and the Diablos who do champion original songs.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby camsgrandad on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:57 pm
IP:

If I wanted to hear "Tougher Than The Rest", I would listen to Chris LeDoux's version. Btw Peter, if you'd like a copy of my album, all covers I'm afraid, (some of us aren't as talented as Brian), just pm me your address and I'll mail you one free.
camsgrandad

Postby Smudger on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:41 pm
IP:

I like Travis Tritt's version!
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:15 pm
IP:

Personally I'd like to see someone cover "Wild Billy's Circus Story" ..... can't imagine anyone line dancing to that!
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby LoneShark on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:38 pm
IP:

It's a free country (I think) and people are entitled to buy whatever they wish, just my own opinion on 'done to death tracks' endlessly rolled out on these CDs. I only used Tougher Than The Rest, as a Springsteen aficionado, it pains me to hear the great man's music being, again in my opinion, murdered at times.

I have no general objection to British artistes using covers to sell CDs, but it would be refreshing to hear some less well known ones where comparison may be tempered?

Wild Billy......... I bet they COULD find a line dance lol

Good thoughts to all

B
LoneShark

Postby lo&m on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:40 pm
IP:

LoneShark wrote: I only used Tougher Than The Rest, as a Springsteen aficionado, it pains me to hear the great man's music being, again in my opinion, murdered at times.

You won't want to hear my version, then. :D
I have no general objection to British artistes using covers to sell CDs, but it would be refreshing to hear some less well known ones where comparison may be tempered?

I agree. The art of a carefully selected cover is often being sadly overlooked.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to UK Country music