The Hayley Oliver Band cease

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

The Hayley Oliver Band cease

Postby livewirer on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:48 pm
IP:

Nigel Nesbitt from The Hayley Oliver Band announced on Facebook (Monday July 14, 2014)
It's with great sadness that I have to report that Hayley Oliver Band has now ceased.

The band would like to thank everyone for their support over the past 6 years, with out you all we wouldn't have been able to record the 2 albums and play
some of the fantastic gig's that we played. Hayley is going to carry on with a new band, I'm sure she will keep everyone posted on her FB page, and the 5
members of the band wish her the best of luck in the future" We have achieved a lot in the past 6 years including 2 British Country Music Awards and 11 UK No1's in the Hotdisc charts (a World Record) which we are very proud of. We have also been to some amazing places and met and played for some great people, we have also had the honour to play with some amazing musicians, including Albert Lee, John Permenter, Gerry Hogan, Sean Kenny, amoungst many others"The remaining 5 members of the band will be continuing on a new project and we will be concentrating on a more Americana/Country rock sound, so watch this space. Thanks Nigel..

Hayley Oliver will be continuing with a new band and the old band will be continuing on as well.
Their last gig was at a country festival in Kolding Denmark in June:

Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Re: The Hayley Oliver Band cease

Postby gunner25 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:54 am
IP:

Hi Livewirer,

Yes we had to call it a day, nothing to do with playing the music, but disagreements with going forward to bigger and better things finally split the band.
We had been told by professional people the way to go forward to go make it to the next level following the last album, as we needed to work on our look and look at more up to date material, the band were fine about this but Hayley wasn't, and after everything that has been put into the project over the past 6 years we wern't prepared to just keep playing the CMC's to the same audiences playing the same stuff, we just didn't want to be like all the other bands doing the same circuit year after year, but we wish Hayley all the luck in the future.
One other thing that got to us is we put the band together was to push Hayleys career and get her more exposure. I think we did a pretty good job?
As when we first got together Hayley was singing on her own and couldn't break into the bigger venues and Lee Williams just couldn't get any interest from the states.
That all changed when the band was put together as everyone knows, the doors started to open.
The funny thing was most of the time the band was introduced as Hayley Oliver and her band, and comments like "Hayley really knows how to pick great tunes for the new album" , well Lee Ellis the guitarist put the band together, and did an awful lot of work with Hayley behind the scenes, and he choose all the songs on the new album. All of the arrangements of the songs were done by the band, and thats all 6 of us, not just Hayley, and we also had a unique sound, that again made us sound different to other bands on the circuit, again all the bands work!!
This is not me being nasty or throwing the muck around, it's some of the facts that made the band just give up on the project, which is a real shame, because believe me Hayley is the best female singer in the UK, and it would be a shame if she just ends up singing to the same old audiences and the same old venues, hopefully the gig in Kolding will help her get into europe, where she deserves to be amounst audiences that revel in her talent.
The band are going to carry on and concentrate on Americana style of music and hopefully play again soon.

Thanks
Nigel

Thanks
Nigel
gunner25

Postby livewirer on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:13 pm
IP:

gunner25 wrote: One other thing that got to us is we put the band together was to push Hayleys career and get her more exposure. I think we did a pretty good job?

Hi Nigel, Thanks for this.
I was reading back through the other Hayley Oliver Band thread and have been compiling a Blog Post looking at the bands achievements also with a view to the challenges faced by UK artists making original music and the difficulties in selling music.
Have reached out to Hayley but no reply yet.

I had never heard of Hayley Oliver until the band formed and her second album started getting played on local BBC Country show. From there spiralled much more radio airplay (including BBC Radio 2 coming on board)and being able to play both Hayley's "material" and the band project live on stage rather than Hayley singing to backing tracks.

I think the DJ's were dazzled more by Hayley and looked on her as "the star" with having a very good voice so it took the shine off the band as a whole.
Whole is greater than the sum of its parts? = Teamwork! She did always praise the band herself and emphasis that in interview.

If she doesn't want to "sell out" to country and continue to keep it save that's up to her. I don't think she will win over any new / younger fans or sell many records. I've hoped she would have a more commercial appeal.

Do those "professional people" have a view or answer as to why over a year on Hotdisc with all those No1s, 5 star album reviews from Maverick, Country Music People and CrXss Country resulted in the last album ABINGER ROAD not selling at retail or as you did mention at your gigs :?:

Personally the first band album NATURALLY had little appeal to me because of all the covers though I understand it was to showcase the band's live set.
I've watched videos of Festivals, BCMAs and recent Denmark one and they are OK as far as attending a local country festival but I wouldn't spend money on travelling long way to see so many covers of well known songs.
The ABINGER GROVE album is a very good quality product. It's just a bit too safe and there was only one song that has a more modern commercial edge.
It's as though it was aimed at a 55 and over audience or that financial concerns were of less importance to recoup the expense of making and promoting, and if that was the case, treated merely as a very expensive but rewarding hobby.

Since April last year there was relatively little activity on the Hayley Oliver Band Facebook and no updates on the website. Never felt fans were hungry for the music (when asked about who was interested in the album) or excited about the Hotdisc success. They seemed more passive than pro-active.

Since November we have seen a lot more young Brit country acts come forward who got in the C2C2014 spotlight.
Both The Shires and Ward Thomas have youth on their side and look and sound great. They can play their own instruments allowing them to play anywhere and invited in for sessions.
No Hotdisc necessary for them with The Shires getting signed by Decca and both playlisted by BBC Radio 2 and endorsed by Bob Harris, Terry Wogan and TV exposure on BBC Breakfast and ITV's Weekend show.
They are making original music written by themselves but have the necessary team in place to make things happen.
They are both doing well with ITunes sales though really deserve to make the Official Top 100 singles chart.
In fact having their singles in front of a 15-million Radio 2 audience with 4-5 weeks you think they would :?:
That is their BIGGEST challenge getting people to actually buy the singles and albums.

What are your intentions as a new Americana band?
What are the sorts of music / covers do you want to perform live?
Many of the traditionalist country fans walked out on Zac Brown when they experimented at the O2 yet others loved it including Bob Harris.
In fact one of their recent US shows was far more diverse and eclectic.

Before the C2C Country To Country 2014 The Guardian wrote:
“Thanks to Taylor Swift, TV show Nashville and Radio 2, country music has never been more popular in Britain”.
Bob Harris making reference to a bias to a more younger audience at the festival has referred to it as a “Tipping Point Moment” and that the “switch has been flicked”: “The kids in the audience are the future of country music and country has made a connection with them

Regarding The Shires The Pocklington Arts Centre wrote: "The groundswell of interest in country music in the UK is now officially unstoppable"

I'm not convinced yet by the spin.
I'm more inclined to believe this post

lo&m wrote: That's like comparing apples and oranges. The UK country scene today is quite unlike that of decades ago. Back in the '70's and '80's British acts would go to Nashville, book a studio, make a record with top quality session men and then come back home and sell the record at gigs...A few (Poacher has been mentioned) actually got records released stateside and scored publishing contracts but almost none put in the long-time work
needed to survive or even thrive in America. This should not be thought of as laziness or short-sightedness on their part. It made sound economic sense to work this way because the UK domestic scene was so large that bands could work full time and make a good living out of it. The UK scene today is a fraction of what it was then. It's glory days are well and truly behind it. Nowadays bands and singers have to cast their net more widely and they have the internet to do it on, again, unlike performers of times past.

You often hear that the CMC's that are left can't afford to book bands because of dwindling audiences or that the clients just want something to dance too. The scene must have been bigger years ago. I can often remember going to see different bands at Works clubs.
Alan Cackett Maverick Magazine: complained about the The Hayley Oliver Band doing cover versions and described the Henry Smith Band as "the worst offender" at the BCMAs.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby livewirer on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:10 pm
IP:

The Hayley Oliver Band have called it quits and split.

We take a look at how they formed, the music they made and what they achieved on the British Country Music scene.
http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk ... quits.html

livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby lo&m on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:56 pm
IP:

Congratulations livewirer. That's a serious piece of work.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby CountryCoop on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31 am
IP:

A really good post livewire and a lot of information I didn't know
CountryCoop
Newbie Member

Postby gunner25 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:14 am
IP:

Hi Livewirer and others who added bits to the Hayley Oliver Band thread.
Well it's been 4 months now since we did our last gig in Denmark, the band said that we would be back with something else and we are going to be soon.
I will not give as much information as you would probably like at the moment but we have found a very talented female singer/songwriter with a beautiful voice, great lyric's and a talented piano player as well(doe's it get any better than this?) And she's beautiful as well.
There will be a song released soon on Hotdisc and a video hopefully before Christmas.
We are currently working on the new material with her and at present there is a 4 track EP just being finished.
I will let you know (if you are interested of course!!) when and where you will be able to hear this first release.
Watch this space
Because this young lady will make a BIG impact on the British Country Scene, she is modern country, writes really catchy songs and i think you will all be pleasantly surprised.
The Band are back as promised !!!

Nigel : 0)
gunner25

Postby livewirer on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:24 pm
IP:

gunner25 wrote: ....but we have found a very talented female singer/songwriter with a beautiful voice, great lyric's and a talented piano player as well(doe's it get any better than this?) And she's beautiful as well.There will be a song released soon on Hotdisc and a video hopefully before Christmas.
Nigel : 0)

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for the heads up.
Don't know of many Brit female country singers who play the piano.
The break up reminds me of a superb London group Callaghan. The lead singer and keyboard player went off to America to record her album and is now based in Nashville.
There was Debra Andrew some years ago who get a bit of Radio 2 exposure and UKCountryRadio.com highlighted her. Her album was much more a Christian release than country. Very noce voice though. Haven't heard anything about her for 2 years.

I thought in this thread that you had come to the conclusion that Hotdisc was a waste of time because despite the chart success it didn't help to sell the album.
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby gunner25 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 pm
IP:

Hi Guys, exciting news.
The former members of the Hayley Oliver Band have now teamed up with a new singer, superbly talented singer songwriter LIV AUSTEN.
The former band will now be called The Banned, and the first single is called Rain On My Side band will be released in January on Hotdisc.
Check out Liv on You Tube.
Attachments
Liv Austin & The Banned small.jpg
Liv Austin & The Banned small.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 6676 times
gunner25

Postby Smudger on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:42 am
IP:

Good singer, and I like that song!
Smudger
Supreme Member