Country Music Round-Up

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Country Music Round-Up

Postby Smudger » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:45 am

Anyone remember the mag/paper “Country Music Round-Up”? I was recently given a few old copies from 1993 and 1994 – here’s some snippets from them to jog your memories:

Tony Best Leisure was advertising country music holidays in Tenerife and in Pontins.
Acts included:
The Sarah Jory Band
The Haleys
Memphis Roots
The John C King Family Band
Ida Red
Lemon Grass
Fever
West Virginia

The Yorkshire Dales Country & Western Music Festival was held at Harewood. Acts included:
Cross Country
Stu Page Band
Kenny Johnson
Fever
Alan Westwood Band

The Second Yorkshire International Festival of Country Music was in the Harrogate Conference Centre. Similar line up to Harewood, as well as a few US acts: Stonewall Jackson, Billy Walker, Jean Shepard and Justin Tubb

Americana 94 headliners were George Hamilton IV and V, Hank Wangford & The Lost Cowboys, Stu Page Band and Fever.

Garth Brooks and Willie Nelson were on tour in the UK in Oct 1994

Apparently there was a “bright future for UK country singer Tracy Elsdon”................

Interesting review by Maurice Hope of Shania Twain’s debut album. He said it was a “useful modern-day country debut offering”.

There was an article about black country singer Aubrey Lovejoy, called “The British Charley Pride”. Whatever happened to him?

There were reports from all over the UK about the local scene in different areas like Yorkshire, Scotland, Midlands, North-west etc – lots of useful stuff at a time when the internet wasn’t the source of all knowledge!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Re: Country Music Round-Up

Postby lo&m » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:18 pm

I was at that YD festival at Harewood. Stu Page's band was exceptional. They were on top form that day.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:02 pm

I remember Country Music Roundup. There was also a rival country music newspaper format thingy, & then a magazine (can't recall its title) edited by Mick Green
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:38 pm

It had several titles over the course of it's life. IIRC, It began as Country Music International (after another title with the same name but different owners had folded) Then became Country Music News and Routes (Irene T would later resurrect this title). A complete revamp came next with two magazines in one. Country music News and Routes continued but then you turned the magazine around and upside down to read Line Dance UK. After a few years and with the line dance craze fading, Mick Green dropped this unique concept and went back to a standard magazine form with a new title, Country Music and More. Eventually the economics of niche publishing got too much and it folded too, although it carried on in an on-line form for a while.

I hope I've got these details correct. I'm typing it from memory alone. Brian Ahern would be the man to ask if he still frequented the boards, he was Mick Green's co-editor for years.

Actually, I've still got a load of these mags in the attic. Haven't seen them in years but I know they're there. Ought to throw them all out but it's difficult to throw something that once meant so much in the bin.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:02 am

Bill, that jogs my memory. I think you have all that right.
I wish I'd kept some of those old magazines & newspapers.

I recall seeing Brian Ahern's name in quite a few by lines back in the day.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:22 pm

I kept nearly all of my magazines. Far too many. Haven't even counted what I've got. I guess that's a job for a rainy day. You could have them but I've got no way of moving them down to wimbledon and it'd cost way to much in freight.
lo&m

Postby Tal » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:38 pm

The info on this forum about the magazine Country Music Roundup emanating from an international magazine is not correct. Dave Mills had the idea for a magazine in 1975 and he put it into practice in 1976. It was all done by hand, it was typed manually on paper using what is now an old-fashioned typewriter, I can’t remember now whether Margaret, Dave’s wife, or Sarah typed it out but we reproduced the sheets on a duplicator I think then gathered them up in chronological order and stapled them together with three staples each. They look a bit basic now, though not in content, but a lot of hard work went into getting the first one out and even getting the content material to start with. The title of the magazine was ‘Lincolnshire Country Music Roundup’. Even that first edition sold very well, mainly via the Broken Lance Country and Western Club show; so much so that by the second volume we upgraded the cover to glossy paper. As time went by we got better at the job and the magazine got well established. Eventually Dave either sold out to or went into financial partnership with someone (would that have been Colin Kettle?) . It was then the magazine dropped the ‘Lincolnshire’ from its name and became just ‘Country Music Roundup’.
I still have the first and second copies and append photographs of the covers. Dave was the editor (the boss), I was news editor, Sarah Rickerby was secretary and Margaret held the lot together. The first edition was published January 1976.

I remember Dave and I going to a London show onetime and interviewing Bill Anderson for the mag, I also went as the mag rep to a concert by Tammy Wynette, also I think in London, I know I was amongst various tv cables between the front of the stage and the audience.

I lost touch with Dave over the years but recently had need to contact him again; in trying to locate him I read on your forum, thread ‘Wood It Be At All Possibull For This’ (sic) reference to him having died. Could someone advise me when and where please.
Attachments
LCMRoundup 006.png
Mag1
LCMRoundup 006.png (1012.19 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
LCMRoundup 005.png
Mag2
LCMRoundup 005.png (989.44 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
Last edited by Tal on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tal

Newbie Member

Postby lo&m » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Ah Tal, when I said, "It had several titles over the course of it's life." I was talking about Mick Green's magazine, not CM Round Up. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Just done a bit of checking in the attic and actually Mick's mag was named International country Music and Routes. I've got examples dated 1994. The other magazine was titled Country Music International. It was edited by Andrew Vaughan and dated 1995, so Mick's was earliest. I can't help you with CMRU. I did read it sometimes but the newspaper format was not conducive to preservation.
I hope someone can help you with your enquiry about Dave Mills. If not, you may have to do a search for the UK country music sites on Facebook. There's one called REMEMBERING BRITISH COUNTRY MUSIC BANDS/ARTISTS which fits the bill. I hate recommending FB as it has decimated membership of this forum but it may be the only way you can get news about your friend. Timothy Pitson, if you're reading this, same goes for you.
lo&m

Postby PeterJD » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:21 am

The Haleys, mentioned by Smudger, I had never heard of, let alone heard until 2 weeks ago. I was at the Welshpool Country Music Festival and they appeared, they were a standout for me, very very good.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:23 am

PeterJD wrote:The Haleys, mentioned by Smudger, I had never heard of, let alone heard until 2 weeks ago. I was at the Welshpool Country Music Festival and they appeared, they were a standout for me, very very good.

Yes, the Haleys have been around for a while and are still a quality act.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:42 pm

Brian has been in touch, on FB ironically enough, He confirms what I posted above and adds a little more info.. That Mick Green's magazine preceded Andrew Vaughan's similarly titled but unconnected mag, Country Music International. Mick's mag was originally titled Country music Roots before becoming International Country Music routes (which is when I first became aware of it. I was then a subscriber through the CM Routes/Line Dance UK, Country Music and More days until it finally ceased publication.) Mick began publishing his mag after an attempt to buy CMRU from then owner, Colin Kettle fell through. To add to the confusion there was another unrelated mag titled International Country Music News run by Keith Newton from Leicestershire who wrote for CMRU at the same time as Mick and Brian and which also preceded CM Roots. Irene's Country Routes title was apparently chosen by chance and was unconnected to either of the above titles.

This is might all sound a bit confusing, so many similarly titled magazines, but these were primarily fan-led publications. They're all gone now and most of their proprieters are gone too. But before the internet, these magazines kept people in touch with what was going on; advertised gigs and clubs and kept folk appraised of touring artists etc. They are part of the history of country music in the UK.
lo&m

Postby firlawn » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Country Music Round Up Publishing Co., was eventually purchased and based in Grimsby, South Humbersid
The contact was Mr. John Emptage who was also,the Owner/Editor. Secretary was Doreen Holder. Website was; http://www.cmru.co.uk
The magazine/Newspaper - and sadly, Mr John Emptage are no longer with us. In latter years, I (Dee Hallett) was privileged to be one of the features writers.
firlawn

Newbie Member

Postby lo&m » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:23 pm

From the OP
Smudger wrote:There was an article about black country singer Aubrey Lovejoy, called “The British Charley Pride”. Whatever happened to him?

Aubrey is appearing at Americana festival next year. I guess he's been quietly working away since the 1990s without attracting much attention. On FB he describes his album Silence In The Wind as his current album. It was recorded in Nashville in 2009 and here's a track from it. BTW, he isn't black, he just sings Charley Pride.

lo&m

Postby Smudger » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:11 pm

lo&m wrote:From the OP
Smudger wrote:There was an article about black country singer Aubrey Lovejoy, called “The British Charley Pride”. Whatever happened to him?

Aubrey is appearing at Americana festival next year. I guess he's been quietly working away since the 1990s without attracting much attention. On FB he describes his album Silence In The Wind as his current album. It was recorded in Nashville in 2009 and here's a track from it. BTW, he isn't black, he just sings Charley Pride.

Interesting, lo&m - thanks for that.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Return to Saloon