Country Stars Who Vanished!

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Country Stars Who Vanished!

Postby lo&m » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:19 pm

A little more on Kathy Mattea. She is one who found fame and fortune to be a double-edged sword. She worked hard to get to the top, had hit records and won many awards. IIRC she won the CMA's female vocalist of the year three times. However the pressure of staying at the top was doing her head in. So at the height of her success, she left Nashville altogether and went to Scotland to work with Scottish folksinger, Dougie Maclean. I remember reading an interview at the time where she said (and I paraphrase) 'It destroyed my career but saved my sanity.'
Actually, it didn't totally destroy her career. Kathy may have stepped out of the limelight but she has continued to make records. Probably her most well known post-fame record is COAL, a collection of songs about coal mining, which was a big thing in the West Virginia of her childhood.

My favourite Kathy Mattea song. Cheeky and infectiously good-humoured.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: Country Stars Who Vanished!

Postby Moshe » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Yes, Kathy Mattea is an interesting one. I recall seeing an interview with her where she said the Nashville image makers didn't know what to do with her. They tried some videos in which she was covered in make up with soft focus shots showing a "sultry, feminine" image, which just was not her.
I recall her saying something like had she stayed in the Nashville system she'd have ended up on loads of Vallium & other drugs. Sometimes you just have to follow your heart & be true to yourself. Kathy still has a loyal following, her "Coal" album was critically acclaimed & did well enough to keep her in business.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Previous

Return to Saloon