Country Stars Who Vanished!

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Country Stars Who Vanished!

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:42 am

Well, not all actually vanished, but here are some country stars of recent decades who we barely hear from any more! Any you can add to the list or any comments on these?

LARRY BOONE- had several big hits in the late Eighties/early Nineties, but since vanished!

RICKY VAN SHELTON- He thought he was a star. He even dueted with Dolly Parton, grinning like a Cheshire cat. Nashville thought he was a star. But then- whoosh! At the stroke of midnight the pumpkin vanished!

There are many many more examples, I might bring up later.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Country Stars Who Vanished!

Postby camsgrandad » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:38 am

Moshe wrote:Well, not all actually vanished, but here are some country stars of recent decades who we barely hear from any more! Any you can add to the list or any comments on these?

LARRY BOONE- had several big hits in the late Eighties/early Nineties, but since vanished!

RICKY VAN SHELTON- He thought he was a star. He even dueted with Dolly Parton, grinning like a Cheshire cat. Nashville thought he was a star. But then- whoosh! At the stroke of midnight the pumpkin vanished!

There are many many more examples, I might bring up later.

Ricky Van Shelton was a star Moshe. IMHO he had one of the finest voices in country music. He just decided to retire about 6 years ago, probably fed up of the crap that Nashville was and still is pushing out.
camsgrandad

Postby lo&m » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:29 pm

The O'Kanes.
Three albums in the late eighties and then disappeared. Jamie O'Hara and Kieran Kane. Specifically Jamie O'Hara, because Kieran Kane did pretty well for himself after they split. He had a successful solo career and co-formed Dead Reckoning record label. Whatever happened to Jamie O' Hara though? I don't know. Never mind, I'll always have this.

Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby lo&m » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Moved to Saloon because it's more fitting. Thread may well include UK acts too.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:09 pm

A few artistes who did NOT vanish but who were big mainstream acts, now have a much lower profile:
MARY CHAPIN CARPENTER is certainly still around, but in the Nineties she was a regular on the country charts & a major attraction at CMA Awards ceremonies. One could hardly picture her at the CMA's now.
KATHY MATTEA was a genuine star with country hits & CMA Awards, but took a more leftfield direction.
PAM TILLIS and LORRIE MORGAN both had many country hits in the 80's & 90's respectively. Now they tour together as Dos Divas, & have a very fine album out, too. But you will not see them at the CMA's or hear them on country radio.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby mrs.m » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:45 pm

I always liked Tracy Byrd and he seemed to disappear overnight. He gave up I think, but never found out the reason.
mrs.m

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:56 pm

mrs.m wrote:I always liked Tracy Byrd and he seemed to disappear overnight. He gave up I think, but never found out the reason.

Wasn't it him who had "Lifestyles of the Not So Rich & Famous" out back in the 90's?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:59 pm

So Eighties. These girls have nothing to do with the bimbos who had a TV show.
Instead The Girls Next Door were a pretty good country vocal group signed to the MTM label
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby mrs.m » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:25 am

Moshe wrote:
mrs.m wrote:I always liked Tracy Byrd and he seemed to disappear overnight. He gave up I think, but never found out the reason.

Wasn't it him who had "Lifestyles of the Not So Rich & Famous" out back in the 90's?

That's the one, he made some pretty good music at the time.
mrs.m

Postby kev » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:02 am

Yes, Tracy Byrd was excellent. I seem to remember reading at the time he stopping touring that he was giving it up to have a normal family life with his wife and kids ..... or, as the less pleasant parts of the 'net described it, his wife threatened to to leave him due to his drinking and womanising whilst touring. Take your pick but either way it's a shame he's not recording any more!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby camsgrandad » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:26 am

kev wrote:

Yes, Tracy Byrd was excellent. I seem to remember reading at the time he stopping touring that he was giving it up to have a normal family life with his wife and kids ..... or, as the less pleasant parts of the 'net described it, his wife threatened to to leave him due to his drinking and womanising whilst touring. Take your pick but either way it's a shame he's not recording any more!

I saw Tracy Bird at Minehead Country Festival about 4 years ago, he was top of the bill and very good too.
camsgrandad

Postby kev » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:13 pm

He now runs an electrical store in Beaumont, Texas. He wasn't around the day we were there ....
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:55 pm

I mentioned Lorrie Morgan & Pam Tillis earlier. They tour as Grits & Glamour, & their album is "Dos Divas".
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Maybe this thread should be renamed "Country Stars who vanished, country stars who might have vanished and country stars who haven't vanished at all"......................
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:24 pm

All of the artistes mentioned so far have indeed vanished from the consciousness of the general country music audience. Larry Boone & RVS vanished from music completely. Others, such as Mattea & MCC, remain in music, but way below the radar.
Pam Tillis & Lorrie Morgan perhaps are a bit more visible- after all, they have appeared on the Opry in their Grits & Glamour re-incarnation.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Next

Return to Saloon