Nashville and Memphis advice please

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Nashville and Memphis advice please

Postby PeterJD » Sat May 24, 2014 10:55 am

Need advice please.

Me and my good lady are planning a holiday for next year to Nashville and Memphis via Hendersonville and Jackson (rockabilly hall of fame). We are going in September, this date isnt movable so cant do CMA but hoping to pick your brains on must see places, mainly from a country music perspective, but would welcome any suggestions at all.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Re: Nashville and Memphis advice please

Postby Smudger » Sat May 24, 2014 12:52 pm

We’ve been to Memphis a few times. Here are some of the things we did which you might want to consider:
Mojo Bus Tour – this is a good way to see the city before you decide where to explore further. The best thing about it, apart from the vintage bus, was the tour guide, Memphis Jones, who got us all singing Johnny Cash and Elvis songs while banging on various percussion instruments!

We stayed in the Hampton Inn, overlooking the end of Beale Street. The street itself is a must-go-to. OK, it’s a tourist trap, but there are some great bars with some great music, mostly blues, although you’ll get rock and country too. It’s also safe to walk there at night.

On Beale Street there’s the Blues City Café, with this resident band playing for tips:

Other bars with music are B B Kings and the Rum Boogie Café. There’s also Schwab’s, a fascinating store which you must visit – sells everything.

Away from Beale Street, there’s Graceland (a bit tacky but you gotta go there!), Sun Studios (a lot smaller than you might expect), Stax Studios (if you like soul music), the Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel, where MLK Jr was shot and mustn't forget the ducks which parade through the luxury Peabody Hotel every day……….

And of course Memphis also has great food - lots of delicious southern barbecue! Enjoy!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat May 24, 2014 3:32 pm

Wow! Have fun.
I last went there a long ways back. At that time a good source of entertainment was being in the audience of some of the TV shows CNN used to do such as Nashville now. All that is gone, I believe. I did a tour of Nashville which took in some of the Homes of the stars, which was fun. I would not recommend Conway Twitty's theme park, though!
Still standing, I believe, is the Station Inn which regularly features some of Nashville's top musos performing in a relaxed, informal atmosphere. I had a great night there. The Opryland Hotel is amazing & worth a visit. It is still standing? An indoors tropical rain forest? Blew my mind.
I enjoyed Memphis, too. I presume the Sun Studio is still standing. When I went, they also had a Sun Café built onto it! Beale Street as you would expect. I stayed in a Hotel directly opposite the Peabody Hotel.
If you have time, make a diversion to Gatlinburg. Absolutely beautiful, & because it is high up, not so sweaty there. And then of course there is Dollywood. Favourite food: Pancakes with hot maple syrup. Nice! September will be hot. I went in October & I was sweating. Enjoy!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Sat May 24, 2014 5:01 pm

I'll be in Memphis this time next week before heading to Nashville. Smudged has pretty much mentioned all the things we're supposed to be doing - Gracelands, Sun, MLK, ducks. I'm looking forward to a couple of evenings on Beale Street and to seeing the mighty Mississippi! And then visit Jackson on the way through to Nashers.

I think a Nashville visit at another time of year might be interesting. I'm looking forward to my trip but think that the actual CMA festival is hugely disappointing this year. It's certainly changed a lot over the last few years, very much geared to a younger crowd .... or am I just getting too old?!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Sat May 24, 2014 5:34 pm

kev wrote:seeing the mighty Mississippi!

You mean the muddy Mississippi!
We went to Suede's. the restaurant Carl Perkins owned in Jackson which was run by his daughter. It was full of interesting memorabilia, but I've a feeling it's shut down now. We didn't have time to go to the Rockabilly Hall of Fame.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Sun May 25, 2014 10:45 am

thanks so far guys, I knew I could count on you.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Sun May 25, 2014 11:47 am

kev wrote:I think a Nashville visit at another time of year might be interesting. I'm looking forward to my trip but think that the actual CMA festival is hugely disappointing this year. It's certainly changed a lot over the last few years, very much geared to a younger crowd .... or am I just getting too old?!!

I tend to agree with you although the good thing about going to Nashville during CMA Fest week is the number of concerts/shows/appearances happening around the city. You really don't have to go to LP Field at all to hear some good live music - even the bands playing for tips in bars are worth going to see.

Having said that, I'm sure there's plenty of country music every week of the year in Nashville.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:35 pm

less than a month to go, September the 25th to be exact, shaping up nicely, Chris Young/Cam at the Ascend Ampitheater, and both nights of the oprys 90th celebrations, trace adkins, joe diffie, diamond rio, charles eston, little big town, oak ridge boys and larry gatlin. My task really is to find something that my wife wants to see, she realises nashville is more for me than it is her.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:26 pm

PeterJD wrote:My task really is to find something that my wife wants to see, she realises nashville is more for me than it is her.

If she likes Elvis, blues or soul music, then she'll enjoy Memphis:
Graceland, Beale Street, Sun Studios, Stax museum are all worth a visit.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Smudger wrote:
PeterJD wrote:My task really is to find something that my wife wants to see, she realises nashville is more for me than it is her.

If she likes Elvis, blues or soul music, then she'll enjoy Memphis:
Graceland, Beale Street, Sun Studios, Stax museum are all worth a visit.

I've just noticed I'd already said that earlier in this post!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Don't bother with the ducks - unless you want to get there about an hour before hand to I've in a place where you can see something!

Beale Street is definitely worth a look but not a good place to eat. When I was there earlier this year I spoke to the guy on the door of one of the clubs about where to go to get some more traditional local food and his advice was to steer clear of Beale St, he said,"That's just tourist sh*t!" and directed me to a place away from the main road where I had the most fantastic jambalaya I'd ever had! Wish I could remember what it was called! :lol:

Do get to Sun Studio though - it's an amazing place, just oozes musical atmosphere!

But Chris Young??!! Have you forgotten your medication again? :lol: Don't miss Robert's Western World on Broadway, it's my favourite bar, and has a great lineup of people playing.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 am

Chris Young is good!!!! Ha.

Try and remember tha name of that eating place please Kev, if you can.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:27 am

Our hotel recommended this place for Memphis bbq, but we didn't get a chance to go unfortunately.
http://cbqmemphis.com/about-central-bbq/
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby PeterJD » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:33 am

Smudger wrote:Our hotel recommended this place for Memphis bbq, but we didn't get a chance to go unfortunately.
http://cbqmemphis.com/about-central-bbq/

Might be just the ticket, thank you. Reviews are good too.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:53 am

PeterJD wrote:
Try and remember tha name of that eating place please Kev, if you can..

This is the place I went to - I think they've two sites in the city. Fabulous food! http://dejavurestaurant.org
kev

Ultimate Member

Next

Return to Saloon