This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark.

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark.

Postby lo&m » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:26 pm

I've started this topic because not everybody reads Christian's news topic and it might get lost in there. If you're a songwriter, you'll know about Guy Clark. If you're not, he is the gold standard we all aspire to. It's worth linking to for what it says about the art of songwriting.
“Guy’s songs are literature,” says Lyle Lovett, among the venerable artists who eagerly gathered for This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark. “The first time I heard Guy Clark, I thought it made everything I’d heard up to that point something other than a song. His ability to translate the emotional into the written word is extraordinary.”

Accordingly, Clark’s most vibrant (“Instant Coffee Blues”) and vivid vignettes (“Desperadoes Waiting for a Train”) reel with cinematic landscapes (“The Last Gunfighter Ballad,” “The Cape”). Novellas frequently unfold within minutes (“Better Days,” “She Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere”).

Clark’s singular storytelling chills with striking familiarity (“The Dark”). “Songs are like Japanese painting,” he explains. “Less is more. One brushstroke takes the place of many if you put it in the right place. I’m trying to get whoever is listening to think, ‘Oh, man, I was there. I did that. I know what that’s about.’ Too many details take away.” Clark’s add volumes. Remember that old blue shirt? Mad Dog margarita? June bug on the window screen?

Find it here. http://countrymusicnewsinternational.blogspot.com/2011/09/this-ones-for-him-tribute-to-guy-clark.html
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to Singer/Songwriter