Don Williams has died, aged 78

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Don Williams has died, aged 78

Postby livewire » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Country Music Hall of Famer Don Williams has died, aged 78:
(May 27, 1939 - Sept 8, 2017)
Don's publicist Kirt Webster and artists Janie Fricke and Silvia share their memories with Devon O’Day on 650AM WSM
Gretchen Peters, Rosanne Cash, Charlie Daniels, Jake Owen & more react to Don Williams' death - BLOG POST

Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Re: Don Williams has died, aged 78

Postby Moshe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:46 pm

A great country legend, & a huge crossover star back in the day.
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 am

Very sad news. Don Williams was the first "big" country star that I saw live in the UK, sometime in the early 80s, and he was still recording good songs a couple of years ago, like this one:
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am

The only album I owe of Don Williams is MY HEART TO YOU.
Have relations who saw him lots of times and is their favourite country singer.
2014’s REFLECTIONS was a #1 Official UK Country Album (chart March 22, 2014)

Moshe wrote:A great country legend, & a huge crossover star back in the day.

Wimbledon's now disgraced Cockney King of Country/ Wembley International Festival Of Country Music promoter Mervyn Conn claims he was the reason for Don Williams UK popularity. Taking the credit Conn said: “I was at a party in Nashville and they were playing this great record,” he recalled. “Of course, no one had heard of Don so I arranged to handle him exclusively and set up a meeting with ABC records. “At that time people listened to me because I knew what I was talking about. I told them they’d have a big star on their hands and they did because You’re My Best Friend was an instant hit and Don became a huge star. Without me the record would never have been released so I really kick-started his career.”

Don Williams (May 27, 1939 - Sept 8, 2017)
BLOG UPDATED
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Country Music Hall of Famer Don Williams has died after a short illness. He was 78.

After beginning his career in Nashville in the late 1960s and signing a songwriting contact in the early 1970s, Williams made his chart debut with “The Shelter of Your Eyes” in 1973.

Over the course of his decades-long career, the so-called “Gentle Giant” of country music recorded hits like “Tulsa Time,” “Good Ole Boys Like Me” and “It Must Be Love.” Williams earned 17 No. 1 country hits throughout his career.

Williams held his final performance and retired in 2016, saying it was time to “hang up his hat and enjoy some quiet time at home. I’m so thankful for my fans, my friends and my family for their everlasting love and support,” Don said at the time.

In 2017, the singer was the subject of a tribute album, Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams, which included performances of his hits by artists such as Garth Brooks and Lady Antebellum.

I'll be playing Tulsa Time in tribute this week.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Moshe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:29 pm

I really like "Tulsa Time". I recall hearing the guy who write it, Danny Flowers, who was also guitarist in Don Williams' band, talking about how he wrote it. It was when he & Don's band were unable to get out of Tulsa due to snow blocking the roads out of town.
He also recalled playing that song for Don Williams & Eric Clapton who was visiting in their hotel room. Both Eric & Don wanted to record the song. Both did, of course.
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Gone, but not forgotten