Guy Clark

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Guy Clark

Postby Moshe » Tue May 17, 2016 1:39 pm

Texas singer songwriter Guy Clark died this morning, (Tuesday 17th May) at the age of 74 after years of health problems.
Guy Clark has had his songs recorded by many old school country singers including Jerry Jeff walker, Emmylou Harriss, Ricky Skaggs & Johnny Cash amongst others. One of his most recorded songs was "Desperados waiting For A Train".
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Guy Clark

Postby lo&m » Tue May 17, 2016 4:17 pm

He's been poorly for some time so we were expecting this news. Still sad when it happens.
Guy Charles Clark, the gravel-voiced troubadour who crafted a vast catalog of emotionally charged, intricately detailed works that illuminated and expanded the literary possibilities of popular song, died in Nashville Tuesday morning after a long illness. Mr. Clark, a Nashville Songwriters Hall of Famer, had been in declining health for years, including a lengthy cancer battle. He was 74 years old, and the author of 13 compelling studio albums.

Born in Monahans, Texas on Nov. 6, 1941, and raised in the Lone Star State, Mr. Clark was a Nashville songwriting fixture for more than 40 years. Mr. Clark and his wife, Susanna, were ringleaders in a Nashville roots music circus that included luminaries like Harris, Crowell, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, Mickey Newbury, Billy Joe Shaver and many more.

“The patron saint of an entire generation of bohemian pickers, Guy Clark has become an emblem of artistic integrity, quiet dignity and simple truth,” wrote Robert K. Oermann in the 1995 liner notes to Clark’s “Craftsman” collection.

He lived his professional life quietly creating in workrooms and playing to supportive audiences in clubs and small theaters, and these venues seemed to suit him more than an arena ever could. His music allowed him to travel the world and experience what he viewed as its prime pleasures, some of which he detailed in 1995’s “Dublin Blues”: “I have seen the David / I seen the Mona Lisa, too / And I have heard Doc Watson play ‘Columbus Stockade Blues.’”

“Something else that’s important,” he told Sandmel,” “is dignity. ... I’ll bet that when you’re dying, you’re not going to think about the money you made. You’re going to think about your art.”

In the end, then, Mr. Clark had something fine and gleaming on which to dwell.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/05/17/guy-clark-dead-74/80932338/
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby kev » Tue May 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Yes, sad news. As Clive indicates, I feel like I know his songs more through other people covering them than his own versions. I really like "Texas Cooking", which George Strait did at some point but the original version was the best!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Tue May 17, 2016 6:53 pm

I like this one that he co-wrote with Rodney Crowell:
Smudger

Supreme Member

Return to Gone, but not forgotten