Merle Haggard

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Merle Haggard

Postby Smudger » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Not unexpected, but very sad all the same. Merle Haggard has died of pneumonia today on his 79th birthday.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Re: Merle Haggard

Postby kev » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:06 pm

Yes, damn sad!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:06 am

Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:12 am

Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:04 am

"We need to have music that contributes to the well-being of the spirit. Music that cradles people’s lives and makes things a little easier.
That’s what I try to do, and what I want to do. You don’t want to close the door on hope.”- Merle Haggard

BLOG: Merle Haggard (1937 – 2016) dies aged 79 on his birthday
...Obituries, Photos, Video, the Country Industry and Worldwide Artists react to Haggard's passing on Social Media:

PRESS RELEASES:
Reactions To Merle Haggard's Passing from The Country Music Community and Beyond

Country Stars React To Passing Of Merle Haggard

The singer is survived by fifth wife Theresa Ann Lane (above) and his six children.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:37 pm

A giant has fallen. Country music will never be the same again.

Video orbituary from the Guardian.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2016/apr/07/why-country-music-pioneer-merle-haggard-will-be-missed-video-obituary?CMP=share_btn_fb
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby lo&m » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:07 pm

Willie Nelson “He was my brother, my friend. I will miss him,”

Toby Keith “The greatest singer songwriter of my lifetime is gone. Thanks for the music and friendship. R.I.P. Hag.”

LeeAnn Womack “I was always so inspired by the fact that Merle picked up the fiddle in his 40s, not because he was looking for some great career move, but because he let the music lead him. He went on to record ‘A Tribute To The Best Damn Fiddle Player In The World’ (Bob Wills) and an accompanying tour, and I just always thought he looked so happy playing that fiddle. He is a true legend whose music was always inspired, never contrived. Our world is so much richer because he was in it.”

Brad Paisley "There are no words to describe the loss & sorrow felt within all of music with the passing of Merle Haggard. Thank God for his life & songs."

Carrie Underwood "Love and prayers for the Haggard family. Merle was a pioneer...a true entertainer...a legend. There will never be another like him."

Jason Aldean "extremely sad to hear of the passing of one of the greatest of all time Mr. Merle Haggard."

The Band Perry "His are the footsteps we follow in. Rest easy, Merle."

Sheryl Crow "The world will not be the same without Merle Haggard in it. Voice of reason, good man, true American artist. An original."

Ron Howard "I had privilege of acting w/him. A fun & gracious man who always had a mandolin or guitar near by."

Josh Turner "Pains me to say that country music icon Merle Haggard has passed away. So honored to have known him and shared the stage with him."

Trisha Yearwood "Rest in peace, Hag. One of a kind, and the definition of legend."

Kacey Musgraves "I think I'll just stay here and drink."

Jason Isbell "Merle Haggard was the best country songwriter there ever was."

and more. http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/06/merle-haggard-death-reactions

lo&m

Postby lo&m » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Merle's final Opry appearance.
lo&m

Postby lo&m » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Good interview with Merle here. It covers among other things: Bakersfield, his first sight of San Quentin and a critique of modern country that includes this line ... " And when it’s over, everyone throws their babies in the air and says, “Oh my god, isn’t that great?” And I’m thinking, “What in the hell are they hearing?”
http://performingsongwriter.com/farewell-merle-haggard/

A heartwarming story concerning Merle and Toby Keith

Merle's Final Show*. It was Super Bowl weekend. Merle had already cancelled months of shows, but this particular booking was a big payday. Merle had to pay his band and crew, so there was no calling in sick for this gig.

Toby Keith was in town with his wife to watch some football and have some fun. Toby got word that Merle was in Vegas, so he went to see him… Merle was in bad shape. He needed to be in a hospital - not on a stage; but The Show Must Go On. Merle would not take charity from anyone, but he did turn to Toby and say, "How many songs of mine do you know?"

"All of 'em" answered T.

"All of 'em?"

"Yep. And I won't need a teleprompter."

"Well, stay nearby." After four or five songs, Merle's infected lungs were spent. He couldn't draw enough air to sing any longer. "We've, uh, we've got a special guest here tonight…" Toby came out and sang the rest of the show. Merle gave his last concert. The Strangers got paid. And the audience, while not realizing it at the time, saw something special.

Never speak ill of Toby Keith to me; thanks to him, Merle exited the stage with his dignity intact.

* I have been informed that Merle played a couple of shows after Vegas, so this was not the FINAL show. I knew he and Kris were set to play a rescheduled LA on Feb 3, because I was missing it due to my travel schedule. I had no idea it was postponed a second time.

Whether Vegas was the last show, second-to-last, or whatever, the fact remains that when Merle needed a helping hand, he got one, and the audience was not left wanting. Merle was an artist and a showman until the end.

The reason I know about it, is that I phoned T after the Super Bowl to talk football. That's when he told me what happened. Knowing what a Merle fan I am, he sent me this pic. I asked permission to share the photo before I did so.
W Earl Brown
lo&m

Postby lo&m » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:44 pm

“I’ve probably got 300 to 400 songs that I haven’t released that I collected over the years. We call it ‘The Archive.’ And we haven’t released anything from that. When I get unable to record or sing anymore, or get killed or something, well they’ll probably put it out”

http://countryrebel.com/blogs/videos/118828995-merle-haggard-left-behind-something-special-for-his-fans?a=ta&var=MerlesMusicVault-CR
lo&m

Return to Gone, but not forgotten