Dan Hicks

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Dan Hicks

Postby lo&m » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Dan Hicks, the wildly creative San Francisco singer-songwriter who, with his group Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks, had hits in the 1970s such as “I Scare Myself” and “Canned Music,” died Saturday after a two-year battle with cancer, according to his website. He was 74.
Cited as an influence by Tom Waits and Elvis Costello, Hicks created his own unique sound that he described as “folk jazz,” but many critics found impossible — and improper — to label, as it managed to also incorporate elements of country, western swing, blue grass and several other genres. Hicks was also known for his witty lyrics, as evident in songs such as “How Can I Miss You When You Won’t Go Away?”
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: Dan Hicks

Postby kev » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:39 am

I've listened to Dan Hicks a couple of times and from that description, "incorporate elements of country, western swing, blue grass and several other genres", I thought he was the type of guy I'd love to hear but his music never quite clicked with me.

The first I knew of his was through the fact that Thomas Dolby covered "I Scare Myself" in the early 80s. Great song!
kev

Ultimate Member

Return to Gone, but not forgotten