Glen Campbell

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Glen Campbell

Postby livewire » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Glen Campbell Passes:
Country Music Hall of Fame member Glen Campbell has passed away after a long battle with Alzheimers. He was 81. The passing was confirmed on Campbell's official Facebook and on his website here.
An Arkansas native, Campbell is best known for hits including "Gentle On My Mind," "By The Time I Get To Phoenix," "Wichita Lineman," "Galveston," "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Southern Nights." During his career he won six Grammys, three Grammy Hall of Fame awards and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement award, nine ACM awards and two CMA awards, among other honors.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Re: Glen Campbell

Postby Moshe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am

Yeah, Glen had a unique sound and so many hits during the Sixties and Seventies.
Pleased to see his daughter continuing the family musical tradition.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am

I was never a great fan of his music but he was definitely a very talented musician.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Smudger wrote:I was never a great fan of his music but he was definitely a very talented musician.

Country singer Glen Campbell dies at 81
Glen Campbell (Official) April 22, 1936 - Aug 8, 2017 (aged 81): OBITUARY BLOG FEATURE
a) UK Chart success
b) Chris Country Radio BBC Breakfast + Archive UK radio interviews Willie Morgan CMR Nashville and Brian Clough The American Connection Country Music Radio Show
c) Background Info d) Links to Press Obituaries
e) Tributes from the country music community in US, UK & worldwide

A voice always liked to hear on the radio from the 70s onwards. Never bought any of his music though.
ADIOS is selling a whole lot more in UK than the US
Duncan Warwick Country Music People: The best career move an artist can ever make...
Here's the proof once again
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:11 pm

I recall, back in the Seventies, Glen Campbell insisting, in UK TV interviews, that he is NOT a Country Singer, but a country boy who makes music. He continued to deny that his music was "country" till country became increasingly popular.
I suppose country purists would agree with his original stance, that he is not country.
But the music he made falls right in the middle of the Countrypollitan sound of the 60's and 70's.
Either way, his music became part of the era, and certainly part of the soundtrack of my teens & pre-teens.
I recall seeing Tanya Tucker's accounts of their relationship, and they did not put Glen in a good light at all. Part of the problem was the cocaine culture in which Glen was very much involved.
His life would change considerably, and the final chapter was his battle with Alzeimer's.
Glen & his wife deserve credit with being open with the public about his condition, and that he continued to work as long as he could with this condition.
Some of his kids were in his last touring band, One of them, his daughter Ashley Campbell, (who played banjo in his band) performed with her band at London's Nashville Meets London free festival this summer.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Gone, but not forgotten