BBC Radio 2 - Country Alerts

This is the place to place any interesting 'alerts' that may be of interest to members.

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

BBC Radio 2 - Country Alerts

Postby livewirer on Sun May 15, 2011 6:16 pm
IP:

1) I'm surprised no one has mentoned Alison Krauss & Union Station In Concert on Thursday.
Interview with Jo Whiley and a one hour show Live from The Mermaid Theatre in London.
Was anyone lucky enough to win tickets and be there ?
The musicianship as you would imagine was outstanding. Shame no RED BUTTON :( but recorded the audio from Free Sat :wink:
LISTEN BACK / Playlist - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010xysc

NOTE - Alison Krauss will be Aled Jones guest next Sunday 22 MAY on Radio 2.

Apparently she was on TV this morning not sure where and Jools Holland which I missed

2) The Secret Sisters - Live on Radio 2 today at 8:30am singing 2 songs live in the studio 'Tennessee Me' and 'Sweet By And By' despite getting to bed at 2:30 am from gig night before!
Listen Back to conversation and hear them Live - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0112yng#segments

Please share any BBC Radio 2 country highlights
Last edited by livewirer on Sun May 15, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Re: BBC Radio 2 - Country Alerts

Postby Moshe on Sun May 15, 2011 6:36 pm
IP:

The Secret Sisters are all over Radio at the mo. They were on Loose something or either on Radio 4 yesterday evening & this morning were guests on Aled Jones on Radio 2 singing live with their glorious harmonies.
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby livewirer on Sun May 15, 2011 7:11 pm
IP:

Moshe wrote:The Secret Sisters are all over Radio at the mo. They were on Loose something or either on Radio 4 yesterday evening & this morning were guests on Aled Jones on Radio 2 singing live with their glorious harmonies.

Yes Aled Jones said they weren't wearing bright red lipstick this morning. Wonder if they were wearing polka dot wartime dresses? Maybe it doesn't matter for radio?
Sounded like quite a response today, Radio 2 absolutely love them. I can't see them crossing over to commercial radio like Smooth and Magic - Can you ?.I've heard them a bit too much now , I could do with a rest from their radio overkill. Even showed up on ex BBC "yer Man "Brian Mann Town 102 in Ipswich (Interview at The Stables Gig)

How the markets differ between America and the UK hence why they keep coming back as their market IS here.
In America they aren't on charts or getting country radio airplay. If the CMA's were over here they would WIN Vocal Duo Of The Year
I bet they won't get CMA nominations for that or the Horizon Award but you WILL' get JaneDear Girls or Thompson Square instead !

Here in the UK there is a continous diet and craving for music of a bygone era.
Just can't get enough of it and cover songs especially. Also noticed that ADELE has made 'Make You Feel My Love' her own . That's what listeners request on Radio 2.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby Moshe on Sun May 15, 2011 8:16 pm
IP:

Not sure. "Tennessee Me" is very catchy, smooth & retro-cool. I think it could get a few plays on Magic or Smooth.
There is more of a market for the rootsier, more retro country over here.
What the Secret sisters do is not where American Country Radio is at, but they could find a home on AAA in the States
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe on Mon May 16, 2011 7:08 am
IP:

:lol:
I'll start a new Radio & TV section & hopefully this will be the place people will post prog info
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby JohnC on Mon May 16, 2011 10:32 pm
IP:

I'll start a new Radio & TV section & hopefully this will be the place people will post prog info

Go ahead moshe...

It's working now.

:sweat:
The MAN, The MYTH, The LEGEND:
John C
Site Admin

Postby Moshe on Tue May 17, 2011 8:57 am
IP:

Thanks John!! 8)
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe on Tue May 17, 2011 9:02 am
IP:

Not exactly country, but related. "THE FREEWHEELIN' BOB DYLAN:A FOLK TRIBUTE" is on Radio 2 Wednesday 18th at 10PM. Various folk artistes doing songs from said album
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Re: BBC 4 - Country Alerts

Postby Moshe on Tue May 17, 2011 9:07 am
IP:

More Dylan
BBC4 Friday 20th
9pm Arena: NO DIRECTION HOME-BOB DYLAN. Scorsese's documentary
10.55PM TANGLED UP WITH DYLAN:THE BALLAD OF AJ WEBBERMAN. The infamous Dylanologist who used to trawell through Dylans' garbage & arive at wild interpretations of his songs. He's still at it :shock:
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe on Tue May 17, 2011 9:12 am
IP:

7:30PM Thursday 19th- ITV 2- AMERICAN IDOL-THE TOP 3
Country singers Scotty & Lauren & eclectic singer Haley battle to get into the Finals
9PM Friday 20th ITV2-AMERICAN IDOL: The Results show. Scotty lookjs set to go through to the final but who will go through with him, Lauren or Haley? Or will things take a different turn & Lauren & Haley end up in the finals together??
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby livewirer on Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 pm
IP:

One for the diary
Wine, Women & Song (Gretchen, Suzy Bogguss & Matraca Berg) will be appearing live from Maida Vale Studio 10am on BBC Radio 2 with Bob Harris and Mike Harding for Radio 2's 2Day on 22 June, 2011.
Sources – BBC Press Release
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... 2day.shtml
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby Moshe on Thu May 19, 2011 8:11 am
IP:

livewirer wrote:Image
One for the diary
Wine, Women & Song (Gretchen, Suzy Bogguss & Matraca Berg) will be appearing live from Maida Vale Studio 10am on BBC Radio 2 with Bob Harris and Mike Harding for Radio 2's 2Day on 22 June, 2011.
Sources – BBC Press Release
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... 2day.shtml

Cool!! That should be a good one. I saw these girls a few years back at that church type place in Islington
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe on Fri May 27, 2011 1:55 pm
IP:

SUZI QUATRO IN SEARCH OF PATSY CLINE (8PM MONDAY 30th BBC RADIO 2)
Seventies Detroit-born Rock N Roll Icon Suzi Quatro travels to Nashville to explore the legend of Patsy Cline. A 90 minute prog
A bit later, at 10PM there is Part 1 of a two part documentary THE MUSICAL HISTORY OF GREENWICH VILLAGE. Narated by John "Nashville Cats" Sebastian the prog explores the folk music mecca back in the day. Part 2 is on Tuesday at 10PM
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby livewirer on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:47 pm
IP:

Bob Harris has a session with Matraca Berg on 7th July

Her new Album THE DREAMING FIELDS hasn't made the Bilboard Top 200. It's got a NE at #42 on the Country album Chart .
I'd estimate its sold 2400 (Based on John Rich at #40 selling 2,483).
It's #23 on the Americana Radio Chart and on the UK Country chart it's at #18 was #15 after 3 weeks.

Think she'll bring in the big bucks as the writer of 'You And Tequila' the new single for Kenny Chesney and Grace Potter.
I wouldn't be surprised if it went to #1
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby Moshe on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:54 pm
IP:

CMA MUSIC FESTIVAL (MONDAY 20TH, TUESDAY 21ST & WEDNESRAY 22ND 10PM BBC RADIO 2)
BBC Radio 2 coverage of the recent Country Music festival in Nashville over three nights, each show of one hour duration
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Next

Return to CM Program Alerts