BBC Country Season

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

BBC Country Season

Postby Moshe » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:39 am

The Country Music season on the BBC kicks off on Friday on BBC4 with a new documentary "The Heart of country: How Nashville Became Music City USA". Many of the usual suspects contributing. (9PM). This will be followed by Country Queens at the BBC (10:30) consisting of archived BBC footage of country acts. A couple more country themed repeats follow: Dolly Parton: Platinum Blonde(11:30) & John Denver: Country Boy(12:30)
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: BBC Country Season

Postby Smudger » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:48 am

Moshe wrote:The Country Music season on the BBC kicks off on Friday on BBC4 with a new documentary "The Heart of country: How Nashville Became Music City USA".

Great programme last night. They showed some not-often-seen clips of Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and others, as well as some good commentary on the history of Nashville music. I was pleasantly surprised as I thought it would be the same old stuff being shown but it was well worth a watch. Looking forward to next Friday now.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:53 pm

In the Bob Harris slot this week: An evening with Brad Paisley. Still on iplayer for four weeks. No Bob Harris at all. Just Brad Paisley with fellow songwriters Kelly Loveless, Lee Miller and Chris DuBois. Four guys sat around with guitars playing acoustic versions of his career-defining songs, talking about how and why they came to be written as well as fooling around and telling jokes on each other. Brad comes across as a level-headed, quite grounded, not to mention insanely talented individual. Recommended listening.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby Smudger » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:18 pm

lo&m wrote:In the Bob Harris slot this week: An evening with Brad Paisley. Still on iplayer for four weeks. No Bob Harris at all. Just Brad Paisley with fellow songwriters Kelly Loveless, Lee Miller and Chris DuBois. Four guys sat around with guitars playing acoustic versions of his career-defining songs, talking about how and why they came to be written as well as fooling around and telling jokes on each other. Brad comes across as a level-headed, quite grounded, not to mention insanely talented individual. Recommended listening.

It's also on BBC4 next Friday.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:44 pm

Talking of BBC4 next Friday the line up is:
9PM JOHNNY CASH: THE MAN, HIS WORLD, HIS MUSIC a 1969 documentary on the singer
10PM BOB HARRIS: MY NASHVILLE , a documentary by Bob on Music City
Then, at 11PM while BBC4 has the Brad Paisley thing, more interesting (to me) , on the Red Button you will be able to see a concert recorded at the home of BETH NIELSON CHAPMAN with fellow songwriters GRETCHEN PETERS, Jason Isbell, Kim Carnes & Suzy Bogguss. That's the one I'll be checking out. I heard a bit of the Brad thing on Thursday & thought it was just OK.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:42 pm

Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:The Country Music season on the BBC kicks off on Friday on BBC4 with a new documentary "The Heart of country: How Nashville Became Music City USA".

Great programme last night. They showed some not-often-seen clips of Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and others, as well as some good commentary on the history of Nashville music. I was pleasantly surprised as I thought it would be the same old stuff being shown but it was well worth a watch. Looking forward to next Friday now.

Plus one.
I had to stop and go back several frames to be sure that was a young Waylon - in the end it was his eyes that convinced me.
Nashville is rough on the living ..................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMLYXPOWHA
Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:39 am

Bob Harris- My Nashville. I just caught up with it on I-player. A really excellent program- covering all strands of Music City. I am unusually impressed. Well worth taking a peek.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Moshe wrote:Bob Harris- My Nashville. I just caught up with it on I-player. A really excellent program- covering all strands of Music City. I am unusually impressed. Well worth taking a peek.

I watched 3 very enjoyable hours of country music TV on BBC4 last night - I hadn't seen the Johnny Cash documentary before but wasn't expecting anything new (to me) - however I was pleasantly surprised. As well as the usual clips there was some great fly-on-the-wall moments, like his visit to his boyhood home, and the audition of a young singer (anybody know who that guy was?). I also loved Cash playing 2 harmonicas at once while performing "Orange Blossom Special" - great stuff!

The Bob Harris programme was good too, but I thought it could have been better. Not enough Ashley Monroe and too much Duane Eddy, and what was Bob drinking when interviewing Kacey Musgrave?? She was drinking Corona but he had some horrible looking bright green liquid in a bottle. The bit about Dave Stewart was interesting but I was bored with the "East Nashville scene". The best bit was Bob talking to the guy that looks after the huge WSM transmitter!

The last programme, Brad Paisley and Friends, was excellent - the man is so talented, as are his song writing buddies, and it was good to hear the stories of how some of the songs came to be. BP's singing and acoustic guitar playing were top notch, as expected.

All in all, it was a great way to spend an evening (along with a few glasses of red wine...................)
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:43 pm

I was out last night & only recalled the shows had been on last night when, blurry eyed, I had a look at Facebook. I watched the Bob Harris thing and loved it. Maybe a bit too much on east Nashville, but it is part of the spectrum and balanced out with all the other stuff. I found the Scott Borchetta segment interesting also, & the bits out & about on lower Broadway.
I heard some of the Brad thing on Radio 2 the other week so i'm not bothered about that, but I would like to see the Beth Nielson Chapman & friends thing-it is not on I-player. I started watching the Johnny Cash movie-interesting. I'm not sure if that is the one I saw in a cinema when I was about 16. I'll have to watch the rest of it this afternoon.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:48 pm

The beeb seemed to have hidden this away on their I-player! But I finally found it. "Back At Beth's"- A Nashville house concert" is a wonderful show featuring some great talent gathered at Beth Nielson Chapman's house. Wonderful singer-songwriters displaying their songs with no phoniness or showbiz glitz & none of the cheese of the Brad thing!
Some big names here & some newcomers & unknown names. Fabulous!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... se-concert
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Moshe,
If you make any of the progs a favourite in iPlayer all the rest are listed in a menu beneath.
Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Return to CM Program Alerts