Name the Series/ Show

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Name the Series/ Show

Postby lo&m » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:28 pm

Austin City Limits with Willie Nelson's Too Sick To Pray?
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby kev » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Right show but it was the recording of Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys that was held back. According to his biography:

There he was on the Austin City Limits stage on November 11, 1975, in his finest rhinestone suit with fur-lined guitar strap, bounding through his entire catalogue of double-entendre ditties. The band never sounded better (nor looked, well, weirder). The audience loved every lyrically devilish twist. There was only one problem. They said it couldn t be aired. There's still some mystery about exactly who they were who made the decision to pull the show.

Having seen the DVD it all feels pretty innocent .....
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:55 am

Correct, Kev.
I have a feeling it was Kinky's song about using a picture of Jesus as loo paper in a visit to a public convenience that caused the offence. The song was humorous, as is typical with Kinky, but was not "dissing" Jesus, simply faced with the dilema of no toilet paper on the roll but a photo of Jesus on the floor. "Do I save my soul or my pants?". I couldn't see what else could have caused offence. Kinky & his band were indeed a funny looking bunch, but the hippy-ish looking audience seemed to love it & all the piss- taking irony!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Previous

Return to Games