Northern Nashville Country Music Club, Caithness

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Northern Nashville Country Music Club, Caithness

Postby SaloonGirl » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:22 pm

The Northern Nashville Country Music Club will again be holding their festival in Caithness over the Easter weekend 22nd-24th April 2011.

Amongst the artists scheduled to perform are:-

Gene Watson
Gail Davies
Highway 101
Justine Trevino

Further details are at the link below.

www.nncmc.co.uk/2.htm

Just a thought - if a small club "in the middle of nowhere" can get these US artists to come over then why can't we "south of the border"? Will start a new thread on this topic!

PS - Don't mean to cause any offence to the Scots - but why can't it be held nearer Edinburgh or Glagow....or are you trying to keep this event to yourselves.....only kidding!! :wink:
Saloon Girl x
SaloonGirl

Postby David-N-87 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:32 pm

I wouldn't have the first clue how to get the hell up there....
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. - Matthew 5:14
And tellin' folks that Jesus is the answer could rub 'em wrong....but this is Country music, and we do!
www.youtube.com/davidn87
David-N-87

Supreme Member

Caithness Festival....how on earth do you get there!

Postby SaloonGirl » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:19 pm

David,

I know what you mean and you're so much nearer! I've been looking at this for a couple of years. Fancied seeing Canadian singer Michelle Wright (last year?) but it looked a nightmare journey and still does. How on earth do the artists get there - private jet!

I know you can fly with Flybe from Manchester, via Edinburgh to Wick (£150 - maybe a private charter would be cheaper?) and then I guess it's car rental or bus. Do they even have a service? Alternatively, flying into Aberdeen for half that price (115 miles away)! You can see why I have yet to attend can't you?

That'll be me on the M6 thumbing a lift on Thursday 21st April. Stop if you're passing! :cry:
Saloon Girl x
SaloonGirl

Postby kev » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:48 pm

It's a great line-up, and you don't even mention Ron Williams! Be honest, if I wasn't already commited to Nashville in June I'd probably be heading up north for this!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby GuitarDunc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 am

I remember when we (Settlers Creek) played at Embo, nr Dornoch which was a 9 hour drive each way in the van. Caithness is a further 62.4 miles from Embo!!! You could fly half way around the world quicker than that :lol:

4 Blokes stuck in a van together for 10hrs plus!!! :shock:
Dunc
Keep it Live, Keep it Country,

https://www.facebook.com/creekies
GuitarDunc

Postby Irene-T » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:04 am

Flying into Aberdeen. Then drive
Irene-T

Supreme Member

Postby David-N-87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:34 pm

GuitarDunc wrote:4 Blokes stuck in a van together for 10hrs plus!!! :shock:

Is that a banjo lick I hear?
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. - Matthew 5:14
And tellin' folks that Jesus is the answer could rub 'em wrong....but this is Country music, and we do!
www.youtube.com/davidn87
David-N-87

Supreme Member

Postby GuitarDunc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Whose ur Daddy!!!
Dunc

GuitarDunc

Postby David-N-87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:17 pm

Who's your baby?
www.youtube.com/davidn87
David-N-87

Supreme Member

Postby GuitarDunc » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Squeal like a pig!!
Dunc

GuitarDunc

Postby Smudger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Irene-T wrote:Flying into Aberdeen. Then drive

Inverness is closer, but even the drive from there is not a dawdle!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Re: Caithness Festival....how on earth do you get there!

Postby TJ » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm

SaloonGirl wrote:
I know you can fly with Flybe from Manchester, via Edinburgh to Wick (£150 - maybe a private charter would be cheaper?) and then I guess it's car rental or bus. Do they even have a service? Alternatively, flying into Aberdeen for half that price (115 miles away)! You can see why I have yet to attend can't you?

That'll be me on the M6 thumbing a lift on Thursday 21st April. Stop if you're passing! :cry:

You know, Saloongirl, last weekend, you could have attended an event which would be just as Country, just as enjoyable, even featuring a Scottish CM band (as in the Caithness Festival), for a fraction of the cost, inconvenience - less than 20 minutes drive from Cheadle Hulme.
Chew Valley Country Music

13th Oct GARY PERKINS & THE BREEZE
(Tickets now on Sale - £7, call Trevor on 01457 833421)
TJ

Postby Zum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I have played at this festival for the past four years.It is a six hour drive from My home in Glasgow.This festival is organised and run by the Northern Nashville CMC who have their club nights in the Royal British Legion in Thurso.http://www.nncmc.co.uk/index.htm
Our band have played the club often doing our own set and also backing visiting Artistes usually from Ireland.
I travel up on the Friday,leaving home at about seven A.M and arrive at about one P.M then set the gear and sound check and run thru the programme with the singer and that takes us till dinner time,then on stage at about eight pm. and finish at one a.m. then break down the gear and get about three hours kip at a friends house and another six hour drive and get home about noon.
All in all about twenty six hours travel/playing.and £60 in fuel.
I'm not complaining but sometimes the punters do'nt realise what muso's do.
Best regards
Billy
Zum

Postby lo&m » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:44 am

Wow ! all that work, and in a place where there are more sheep than people. My only question is how do the Northern Nashville folk turn a profit ? Is it because it is the only entertainment available in the area ? So the locals would turn out regardless of who was appearing ?

I'm not having a dig at anyone connected with it. It's a genuine question. How do they manage to make a profit ?
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby brian ahern » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:29 am

lonesome on'ry & mean wrote:Wow ! all that work, and in a place where there are more sheep than people. My only question is how do the Northern Nashville folk turn a profit ? Is it because it is the only entertainment available in the area ? So the locals would turn out regardless of who was appearing ?

I'm not having a dig at anyone connected with it. It's a genuine question. How do they manage to make a profit ?

I was on holiday in the States last year with a couple of the organisers. Nice genuine people and smashing country music fans.

The club has a long history and a dedicated following of fans. Is it not possible that any profit from their monthly shows is ploughed back into a yearly festival......this makes sense to me and an example for all of good bookkeeping, organising and promoting.

brian.
brian ahern

Supreme Member

Next

Return to Festivals