New Stuff 2018

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: New Stuff 2018

Postby Moshe » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:03 pm

REVIEW: "HAPPY HOUR"- KACEY MUSGRAVES

Here is my own take on the album. I know not everyone will like it, but to me this is easily my favourite album of the year so far.
It is a step away from traditional country, but the direction is not in a Taylor Swift pop flavour, certainly not in a Bro country direction. The most mainstream commercial track is probably "High Horse", I shoe in for pop/AOR radio.

But the direction the album overall takes is a mellow, spaced out country sound. Certainly Kacey's experimentation with LSD can be felt in the music on this album. Kacey has called it "Cosmic Country". To me, a more acurate description would be Spacey Country. "Mother" is a very sweet an honest expression of her love for her mother, living a distance away. "Oh What A World" has a bit of a sixties feel, while Space Cowboy, while maintaining the spacey feel of the album, is a play on words with Kacey telling her Space Cowboy he can have his space.

Some tracks, such as High Horse veer some distance from country, but for the most part I would say this album remains country, just a very spaced out country.
It gets a big thumbs up from me.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Moshe wrote:REVIEW: "HAPPY HOUR"- KACEY MUSGRAVES

Also getting the thumbs up : "Yaaassssss queen!!!! Thank you for making one of the albums of the century and for the hours and hours of bliss you've just provided me with. Absolute masterpiece" - Dan Wharton BCMA Press Officer, CEO Your Life In A Song/ Sonnet Music tastemaker.

Regardless of genre, you’ll be hard pushed to find a better collection of POP songs this year. 5 STARS https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... our-review

Its a Slow Burn
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby Moshe » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:34 pm

CRoutes wrote:
Moshe wrote:REVIEW: "HAPPY HOUR"- KACEY MUSGRAVES

Also getting the thumbs up : "Yaaassssss queen!!!! Thank you for making one of the albums of the century and for the hours and hours of bliss you've just provided me with. Absolute masterpiece" - Dan Wharton BCMA Press Officer, CEO Your Life In A Song/ Sonnet Music tastemaker.

Regardless of genre, you’ll be hard pushed to find a better collection of POP songs this year. 5 STARS https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... our-review

Its a Slow Burn

"Album of the CENTURY"! That is quite a claim. I'll think about it again in the year 2099 :D
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:52 am

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole after a bank holiday weekend. Its an average album. Have we also become so far removed from what country music is to class it as country, I see zero country music in this, calling is space country or cosmic country doesn't make it country. As for being the best of the year or even the century. Nonsense.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:59 am

PeterJD wrote:Nothing like a bit of hyperbole after a bank holiday weekend. Its an average album. Have we also become so far removed from what country music is to class it as country, I see zero country music in this, calling is space country or cosmic country doesn't make it country. As for being the best of the year or even the century. Nonsense.

There is some nice trippy steel in there. In some respects harkens back to the Flying Burrito Brothers, but better acomplished, I think.

The lines of what is or isn't country have become pretty blurred.
Some tracks, such as High horse I would say are not at all country, others such as "Space Cowboy" and "Mother" have a bit of a country flavour to me.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:20 am

Now this could be a good question as to What is or isn't country. What makes this a country track?
The Shires have always been on the Country-Pop side. Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" was the inspiration for the Duo forming and the soun d they spought to achieve.

This is by quite a stretch less country than "Need You Now", but you can still hear the Lady Antebellum influence.
My own reaction to it? Better than anything that was on the rather bland "My Universe" album which sought to emulate exactly mainstream radio friendly American country-pop.
This feels to me more like the good time anthem of their early single "Friday Night". It has a definatively British sound, is very catchy and very pop. Country? I'm not sure. But a big improvement on their last effort.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:57 am

Worth mentioning Moshe, my post wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the articles I have been reading regarding Kaceys album.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:14 pm

PeterJD wrote:Worth mentioning Moshe, my post wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the articles I have been reading regarding Kaceys album.

Fair enough.
I think the lines between country & pop are so blurred these days. It is easy to tell when something is certainly country- Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, ernest Tubb.
But then you get to less obviously country stuff. Today, we think of Patsy Cline and Jim Reeves as straight ahead country, but back in the day purists considered them pop. Hard to believe now that Dolly parton's "Here You Come Again" album was considered as Dolly's pop album & she was accused of leaving country. That album today sounds pretty traditional.

I am usually OK with "crossover" stuff & my country boundaries are pretty blurred. What i can't get on with is most Bro country. The current single from Florida Georgia line with Bebe Rexha to me is just irritating. I can't stand their vocals, & Bebe's are only ok, and the overall sound is just tinny to me.

But then, that stuff is hugely popular.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:50 am

Moshe wrote:

Now this could be a good question as to What is or isn't country. What makes this a country track?
The Shires have always been on the Country-Pop side. Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" was the inspiration for the Duo forming and the soun d they spought to achieve.
This is by quite a stretch less country than "Need You Now", but you can still hear the Lady Antebellum influence.
My own reaction to it? Better than anything that was on the rather bland "My Universe" album which sought to emulate exactly mainstream radio friendly American country-pop.
This feels to me more like the good time anthem of their early single "Friday Night". It has a definatively British sound, is very catchy and very pop. Country? I'm not sure. But a big improvement on their last effort.

Yes Don't forget The Shires non-country de-twanged UK mix of Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" was Ben Earle's inspiration who was then pleasantly surprised to learn that it was "country" and he wasn't the only UK country act to think so.

I agree it does have that Friday Night Mk2 good time party drinkin' vibe to it. It was inspired by an Ed Sheeran after party who held up Crissie Rhodes in a an American drinking game having beer sprayed into her mouth.

I disagree that 'Guilty' is better than tracks from MY UNIVERSE.
Country song "Daddy's Little Girl" is far superior and Other People's Things, the wonderful "Naked' and "Common Language" are better.
You say My Universe" sought to emulate exactly mainstream radio friendly American country-pop. Well if they are still with Big Machine (Even the Shires had no idea a year ago what was happening) the label didn't promote it, there was no US single, no radio tour.
You will have heard their interviews last week the plan with this album is to get it out over in America, tour, to "hopefully get the radio stations behind" them.
Should how good a single is be determined by [url]how many streams it is receiving[/url] rather than how many people like it enough to BUY it.
'Guilty' has added 120K Spotify streams in a week (429K total) but they will be lucky if they sold 150 - 200 copies and is dropping down the iTunes chart to now #229 despite the Radio 2 "A" playlisting and other exposure. BBC stations I think feel obliged to play it.

The Shires have never got anywhere near charting a single on the Official UK Country Chart.
Meghan McKenna is the only British act I could find since 60s and 70s to actual chart 2 singles in the Top 100 Official chart (I bought them both) Heeled Shoes (No.43, 8,500 sales) and Far Cry From Love (No.53, 7000 sales) . So it can be done.

BBC Radio Norfolk's Keith Greentree has a PRE_COPY of the album and says it is REALLY GOOD!
There is NOTHING country about 'Guilty' for me
After they performed live song 'Echo' which I wasn't keen on Keith Greentree said "WOW! Absolutely brilliant, that was super, typically Shires, 'Echo', I could of picked that out if I didn't know who was singing it, I'd say that was The Shires.
Their second live song 'Sleep Walk' was vastly better and I liked it instantly
Keith Greentree's response: That was BRILLIANT, that's absolutely superb, that was 'Sleep Walk' from the album ACCIDENTLY ON PURPOSE .... Yes, the hairs on the back of my neck are all standing on end it's so LOVELY isn't it".

Ben Earle explained what makes 'Guilty' country: "It was a big step on for us it is definitely more towards the POP side but I think what retains the countryness for us is the way we wrote the songs. We sat down in a room and wrote them generally on a guitar and a piano and as long as you have the great building block of the song, the foundation, the most important thing in some respects then you can take it wherever you want sound wise and that's what we kinda did to have a bigger poppier sounding record this time around"

So there you have it. Not that many will care on this forum which has been pretty dead the last 8 months

#AOPTheShires # CountryMyAr*e
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:17 am

Moshe wrote: I am usually OK with "crossover" stuff & my country boundaries are pretty blurred. What i can't get on with is most Bro country. The current single from Florida Georgia line with Bebe Rexha to me is just irritating. I can't stand their vocals, & Bebe's are only ok, and the overall sound is just tinny to me.

But then, that stuff is hugely popular.

Yes, CMA International Broadcaster of the Year Chris Country Radio must be following the trends as it's on the top playlist.
Expect to see this chart very high on UK Official Singles chart tomorrow as its been selling 800 - 1200 copies a day this week and massive streaming. 17-weeks also at #1 on Hot Country Songs chart.

Yes the lines are very blurred Keith Greentree BBC Norfolk presenter seems to have convinced his listeners that Kylie Minogue is country being played most weeks.
Despite 600 -700 country albums released that I know of (360 in Country Music People alone) in 2017 we had MILEY CYRUS, TAYLOR SWIFT and PINK chosen in Best of 2017 album lists! A shame as a lot of very good country releases in 2017.
Maybe its time GENRES were dropped completely with so few record shops and stories of iTunes download shop ending in the next year or so. People playlist and stream literally anything these days.
CRoutes

Postby kev » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:36 am

CRoutes wrote:

Yes Don't forget The Shires non-country de-twanged UK mix of Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" was Ben Earle's inspiration who was then pleasantly surprised to learn that it was "country" and he wasn't the only UK country act to think so.

Yikes! And there was me thinking they'd formed and named themselves in honour of Amanda Shires!!! :lol:
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Tami Neilson to release new album, SASSAFRASS! on June 1, check out the pre-grat track ‘Stay Outta My Business

With a soulful voice straight from the golden age of country and rockabilly music, Tami Neilson has been described as "A red-hot honky-tonker, somewhere between Patsy Cline and Wanda Jackson with perhaps just a little bit of Peggy Lee sophistication.” :wink:

BLOG POST
CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:36 am

Released on Friday:
Johnny Cash: Forever Words album ft. Chris Cornell, Kacey Musgraves, Elvis Costello
BLOG POST

Found it a bit of a hard listen. Rosanne Cash and Alison Krauss and Union Station where the easiest on the ear

1. Forever/I Still Miss Someone - Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson
2. To June This Morning - Ruston Kelly and Kacey Musgraves
3. Gold All Over the Ground - Brad Paisley
4. You Never Knew My Mind - Chris Cornell
5. The Captain's Daughter - Alison Krauss and Union Station
6. Jellico Coal Man - T. Bone Burnett
7. The Walking Wounded - Rosanne Cash
8. Them Double Blues - John Mellencamp
9. Body on Body - Jewel
10. I'll Still Love You - Elvis Costello
11. June's Sundown - Carlene Carter
12. He Bore It All - Daily and Vincent
13. Chinky Pin Hill - I'm With Her
14. Goin', Goin', Gone - Robert Glasper featuring Ro James, and Anu Sun
15. What Would I Dreamer Do? - The Jayhawks
16. Spirit Rider – Jamey Johnson

Released on Friday:
Various Artists - Restoration: The Songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin (An MCA Nashville Release; This Compilation (P) 2018 UMG Recordings, Inc.)
Debut #1 UK Country iTunes (#18 UK iTunes overall). Tracks sprinkled on UK iTunes Country singles chart. Most popular 'The Bitch Is Back' by Miley Cyrus and 'Sacrifice' by Don Henley & Vince Gill.
'Border Song' by Willie Nelson Won't you please excuse my frankness but it's not my cup of tea
13 Tracks
Amazon UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Restoration-So ... B07BDQXSRF
UK iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/resto ... 1358371229
SPOTIFY - https://open.spotify.com/album/25I3CO8X ... mgF2krvBtw

BLURB: Elton John's affection for country music runs deep. Its sweet, simple melodies and direct, heartfelt connection are hallmarks of his biggest hits. On Restoration, country stars make this glaringly clear. Chris Stapleton breathes fresh life into the deep cut “I Want Love.” And Dierks Bentley and Little Big Town show how “Sad Songs (Say So Much)” and “Rocket Man” are country songs at their core. When Lee Ann Womack drawls, “I quit those days and my redneck ways” on “Honky Cat,” it's all too perfect.
CRoutes

Postby CRoutes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:26 am

ICYMI
Release Date: 6 April 2018
Sarah Shook & the Disarmers - Years (2018 Bloodshot Records)
10 Tracks
Country Music People March 2018 4.1/2 STARS

Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Years-Sarah-Sh ... 079HG5Y9B/
UK iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/damne ... 1342842185
SPOTIFY - https://open.spotify.com/album/11HcrLOF ... bO-mUJziVw

Top Tracks: 1. Good As Gold 3. Over You 7. Lesson
FREE available to stream & download for an email share from Noisetrade - https://noisetrade.com/sarahshook/a-few-years?utm_
CRoutes

Postby Smudger » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:45 pm

Just been listening to Ashley Monroe's new album "Sparrow" on NPR. Having previously heard a couple of tracks, I wasn't expecting much - and I was right. The songs are OK, I suppose, but I just don't like the arrangements at all. Way, way too much strings, horns and other orchestral stuff. She should have gone back to Vince Gill.....
Smudger

Supreme Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music