New Stuff 2018

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: New Stuff 2018

Postby Moshe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Brand new and this is wonderful. A slightly trippy tex mex take on the Kris Kristofferson tune "Sunday Morning Comming Down". Easily the best version since Johnny Cash's!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Moshe wrote:Brand new and this is wonderful. A slightly trippy tex mex take on the Kris Kristofferson tune "Sunday Morning Comming Down". Easily the best version since Johnny Cash's!

Yeah, not bad. I've always found the Cash version to be irritatingly rumpty tumpty and lost the whole mournful tone of the song. Willie Nelson has recorded a couple of great versions, especially the one on his "Sings Kristofferson" album. I was also impressed by the version that Gretchin Wilson recorded, that's worth a listen!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:26 am

I wasn't aware Willie had done the song. I'll check it out. Johnny Cash's version I first heard in my teens. I loved it at once & listened to it over & over. I was disapointed when I heard Kristofferson's own version, & thought Ray steven's version unnecesary. I thing Cash's rendition will always be my favourite, but I will always check out different versions.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:48 pm

kev wrote:From Saving Country Music:

The new Kacey Musgraves album Golden Hour will finally be arriving from Mercury Nashville on March 30th. This was officially revealed on Friday (2-23) after bits and pieces of info have been leaking out over the past few months, and the release was originally scheduled for “late winter.” Her 3rd official LP was produced by Ian Fitchuk, and Daniel Tashian (the Silver Seas), and is preceded by the release of two songs “Space Cowboy” and “Butterflies”—at least via streaming and download services.

“Butterflies” is said to be about Kacey meeting her husband and fellow performer Ruston Kelly, while “Space Cowboy” is said to be about a previous boyfriend who doesn’t want to be fenced in, and finds Kacey using a bit of the same word play that has been a part of many of her her previous songs. However neither song has been released as a single. In fact very similar to Mercury Nashville label mate Chris Stapleton, it’s questionable if there is any singles strategy for Kacey Musgraves and Golden Hour at all at the moment. Often major label albums are preceded by the release of a new single many months ahead of the album itself for promotional purposes.

The title of the new record was said to be inspired by the recent solar eclipse, but Kacey’s hometown in east Texas is also named “Golden.” Other songs from the record that fans have heard live aldready include “Wonder Woman” and “Velvet Elvis.” Though in previous interviews Musgraves has said for fans to expect a “trippy” sound from the new album, and artists such as Sade and The BeeGees have been cited as sonic influences, the first two songs sound like Musgraves for the most part, aside from the fact that so far there’s no evidence of the campy country lyricism of previous works.

As the winner of two CMA Awards, an ACM for Album of the Year, two Grammy Awards, and the beneficiary of a strong grassroots following and a favored status among more traditional and critically-minded country fans, Kacey Musgraves should be considered one of the premier performers in the mainstream. However Music Row continues to struggle to understand how to market her. Hopefully a strategy reveals itself for Golden Hour as the release nears.

Listen to the whole album here ... if you want, I'm not forcing you!! :D : https://www.npr.org/2018/03/26/59576577 ... t=20180326
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Joshua Hedley’s Album MR. JUKEBOX out April 20

ALBUM OF THE MONTH 5 STARS – If you only buy one album this year this should be one. You’d be a fool to miss out - Duncan Warwick Country Music People (March 2018 Issue)
Featured Cover Artist in April’s Country Music People
Set To Make Grand Ole Opry Debut on Album Release Day
The country crooner will bring his live show to London's Waiting Room on Thursday 12th April 2018 - BLOG FULL DETAILS
Last edited by CRoutes on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby Moshe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:18 pm

The new single off Kacey Musgraves album, Golden Hour, (out tomorrow), is "High horse. Probably the least country track I've heard from her yet, but I love it.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:19 am

Kaceys album in the car this morning, she didn't release this album for me. It isn't bad but it isn't country. Its also very downbeat. Not for me.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:21 am

Moshe wrote:The new single off Kacey Musgraves album, Golden Hour, (out tomorrow), is "High horse. Probably the least country track I've heard from her yet, but I love it.

Awful!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 pm

Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:The new single off Kacey Musgraves album, Golden Hour, (out tomorrow), is "High horse. Probably the least country track I've heard from her yet, but I love it.

Awful!

Agreed!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 am

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... our-review

"Album of the Week" Review from The Guardian
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Moshe wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/29/kacey-musgraves-golden-hour-review

This is why I don't pay any attention to reviews!
My review: Dreary pop music with too much drum machine.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Smudger wrote:
Moshe wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/mar/29/kacey-musgraves-golden-hour-review

This is why I don't pay any attention to reviews!
My review: Dreary pop music with too much drum machine.

I agree re-reviews. Each review is simply an indevidual reaction to the music.
I myself am enjoying the music, though I agree that it is a departure from the sort of country music we have been acustomed to from Kacey.
My opinion is that her debut album, "Trailer..." was original and refreshing. I found "Pageant Material" weaker & simply treading water.
For me, the new album is refreshing and enjoyabale, though a departure from traditional sounding country music.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Moshe wrote: For me, the new album is refreshing and enjoyabale, though a departure from traditional sounding country music.

Do you like the Kacey Musgraves album enough to buy it? If you have a paid subscription then fair enough rather pointless paying twice unless you're after a best quality listen through a decent Hi Fi.
The reason with the departure from a "country" sound is that an artist requires a sound with global appeal as music sales are bad. Talk again has surfaced of iTunes download shop closing down in the next year or two reverting to subscription Apple Music only when a monthly fee gives you access to a huge amount of music. So far in 2018 US Country Albums down 1-million (26%), Country Digital tracks down 33% (-4.5 million)

If you want something country
Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (Warner Nashville)
Debut #2 UK iTunes Country (#16 overall)
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/a-lit ... 1332162125
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078VMMLKP

Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby Smudger » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Ashley McBryde's album is definitely better than Kacey Musgraves' album, but it's still not a great album. Or maybe I'm just too fussy these days...............
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:00 pm

CRoutes wrote:
Moshe wrote: For me, the new album is refreshing and enjoyabale, though a departure from traditional sounding country music.

Do you like the Kacey Musgraves album enough to buy it? If you have a paid subscription then fair enough rather pointless paying twice unless you're after a best quality listen through a decent Hi Fi.
The reason with the departure from a "country" sound is that an artist requires a sound with global appeal as music sales are bad. Talk again has surfaced of iTunes download shop closing down in the next year or two reverting to subscription Apple Music only when a monthly fee gives you access to a huge amount of music. So far in 2018 US Country Albums down 1-million (26%), Country Digital tracks down 33% (-4.5 million)

If you want something country
Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (Warner Nashville)
Debut #2 UK iTunes Country (#16 overall)
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/a-lit ... 1332162125
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078VMMLKP

The change is style may be to do with marketing considerations, but it may also be to do with an artistes' desire to continue to develop and explore their own musical styles.
Mark Knopfler is a good example of someone who has followed his own musical direction at a financial cost to himself. He has been offered huge sums to reform Dire Straits for a world tour, but has turned these down to pursue various, uncommercial roots projects and play medium and small sized venues. It is not always about the money
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music