Country Exclusives 2018

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Country Exclusives 2018

Postby Moshe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:18 pm

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:
The Cadogan Hall has become my favourite music venue. Great acoustics, and a quality enviroment to hear good music.
They are thankfully picking up on some of the finest roots music acts.

I see they've got Ry Cooder there in October.

Wow! That should be a good one. i'll probably book for that.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Moshe wrote:
kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:
The Cadogan Hall has become my favourite music venue. Great acoustics, and a quality enviroment to hear good music.

I see they've got Ry Cooder there in October.

Wow! That should be a good one. i'll probably book for that.

55 quid a ticket though!! :shock:
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Moshe wrote:

I see they've got Ry Cooder there in October.[/quote]
Wow! That should be a good one. i'll probably book for that.[/quote]

55 quid a ticket though!! :shock:[/quote]
Blimey! I'll think about it. Should be a good one, but pricey! I think I paid about £35 for To Paxton & The DonJuans. A bit steep!
Still, seems i have been paying too much tax so am expecting a rebate!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu May 03, 2018 5:12 pm

NASHVILLE MEETS LONDON 2018
last year Nashville meets london was held in Canary Wharf around my birthday. But it was a very wet weekend.
This year the organisers have arranged for the festival to take place a week later in an attempt to avoid the rain. Acts to be anounced soon.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Thu May 03, 2018 5:17 pm

[color=#FFFF00]I'm With Her, the popular female roots trio, play London's Union Chapel on Thursday 17th May[/color]
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Thu May 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Moshe wrote:NASHVILLE MEETS LONDON 2018
last year Nashville meets london was held in Canary Wharf around my birthday. But it was a very wet weekend.
This year the organisers have arranged for the festival to take place a week later in an attempt to avoid the rain. Acts to be anounced soon.

Move it a week to avoid the rain? Is it a combined country music and psychic festival and they've seen something in the tea leaves?
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri May 04, 2018 5:57 am

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:NASHVILLE MEETS LONDON 2018

Move it a week to avoid the rain? Is it a combined country music and psychic festival and they've seen something in the tea leaves?

Not sure that was actually the reason! It is a week later than last year, though.
Surprised they have no names to anounce yet.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Fri May 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Moshe wrote:]NASHVILLE MEETS [b]LONDON 2018[/b]

Moshe wrote:I'm With Her, the popular female roots trio, play London's Union Chapel on Thursday 17th May

There are some Nashville Meets Live events in Holborn

The I'm With Her album I personally found quite a tough listen, though London Union is a sell out
London, London, London!

Country Routes latest London Concert & Gig dates
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby Moshe » Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 am

AMERICANA MUSIC AWARDS 2018

The nomineees for the 2018 Americana Music Awards bash have been anounced, and it is an interesting list.
The CMA's and AMA Awards have become rather boring and predictable to me, seeming to be more a Hottest Hunk parade than about the music, but the nominations for the Americana Awards are far more in tune with the kind of stuff that drew me to country music in the first place.
So, here are the Nominees in the main categories-
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
ALL AMERICAN MADE- MARGO PRICE
BY THE WAY, I FORGIVE YOU- BRANDI CARLILE
THE NASHVILLE SOUND- JASON ISBELL
RIFLES & ROSAMARY BEADS- MARY GAUTHIER

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
BRANDI CARLILE
JASON ISBELL
MARGO PRICE
JOHN PRINE

DUO/GROUP OF THE YEAR
I'M WITH HER
JASON ISBELL & 400 UNITS
LUKAS NELSON & PROMISE OF THE REAL
NATHANIEL RADCLIFFE & THE NIGHT SWEATS

EMERGING ACT
COURTNEY MARIE EDWARDS
TYLER CHILDERS
ANDERSON EAST
LILLY HIATT
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby CRoutes » Sat May 26, 2018 7:56 am

Moshe wrote:AMERICANA MUSIC AWARDS 2018

The nomineees for the 2018 Americana Music Awards bash have been anounced, and it is an interesting list.
The CMA's and AMA Awards have become rather boring and predictable to me, seeming to be more a Hottest Hunk parade than about the music, but the nominations for the Americana Awards are far more in tune with the kind of stuff that drew me to country music in the first place.
So, here are the Nominees in the main categories-
EMERGING ACT
COURTNEY MARIE EDWARDS
TYLER CHILDERS
ANDERSON EAST
LILLY HIATT

Courtney Marie Andrews
Americana Music Association® announces its 2018 Honors & Awards Nominees During an Intimate Ceremony at the Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum - BLOG POST
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9263&start=510#p141765

More miss than hit with the material from these artists. Anderson East (No longer Miranda Lamberts boyfriend) was tipped by the Americana Music Association CEO as an Album of the Year but I couldn't get into it.
These awards also becoming a bit predictable too eg JASON ISBELL
Visit Country Routes News Blog (News on Indes/ Mainstream/ Charts/ UK News & Live Gig & Concert dates) https://countryroutesnews.blogspot.co.uk/
CRoutes

Postby kev » Tue May 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Willie Nelson walks off stage ... was he unwell or was it just a strop??

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed May 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Strange. He was apparently suffering from a stomach bug.
But, reportedly, no information as to why the performance would not take place- or if it would- was forthcomming for over an hour.

In the movie "Crazy Heart" the alcoholic singer walks on stage in some dive, starts in on one of his golen oldies, then barely a verse in staggers off stage & out the back where he repeatedly throws up.

Not suggesting anything similar with Willie, but maybe someone put something in his canabis.

Willie looked a bit unwell the way he walked on. But between picking up his guitar, starting to put the strap over his head, then thinking "**** this!" & he throws the guitar strap into the audience, he seemed pissed off!!

That performance was even shorter than the one George Jones gave at Wembley back in the 80's. Jones started in to his song, "No show Jones", saying they'd be playing tlll "about 3 or 4 o'cclock in the morning", then hightailed it off the stage before the song was done! He was almost a no show that time!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:57 am

Taylor Swift made a statement in support of Pride Month on stage during her Reputation tour, as in the clip bellow.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:13 pm

WHERE COUNTRY MEETS FOLK
Country, like blues, is a form of Folk music, and the musical genres share considerable common ground, as well as some major differences.

I will concentrate here on areas where Folk meets Country. Of course, the Folk music that sounds most like Country is American folk rather than, say, British folk music. Having said that, much of traditional US Country was based on the folk songs & tunes brought over to the US by early settlers from the British Isles and Europe.

The Carter Family and their songs formed the basis of what would come to be known as country music, but they are also an important part of American Folk music. I recall the late radio dj Bob Powell recalling that he met a folk music enthusiast who loved The Carter Family, and who said Mother Maybell Carter's guitar playing had influenced her own. What perplexed Bob powell was that she followed this up with saying that she "hates" country music!

Woody Guthrie was another music veteran whose influence straddled both folk and country. Nanci Griffith, when she first burst on the scene, would describe her music as "Folkabilly"- "A liitle bit of Woody Guthrie and a whole lot of loretta Lynn."
Tom Paxton, one of the heroes of the 60's folk revival & whose folk songs often had a bit of a twang to them, these days tours with Nashville songwriters Don Henry and Jon Vezner (Mr Kathy Mattea). They are his backing band and partners in music, their rootsy country songs blending perfectly with his country-invibed folk songs.

Sometimes the two musical genres diverge sharply, but to my ears country will always be closer to folk than, say, Hip Hop, though this may be news to Florida Georgia Line. Artistes like Suzy Bogguss, Gretchen Peters and John Prine- and Kris kristofferson, come to that- could ceertainly hack it in a folk club. Not too sure about Florida Georgia Line, though.

But even some surprising country acts could make a credible stab at Folk. The ultimate country-pop star, Carrie Underwood, for example. Take her outstanding current single, Cry Pretty. Cut out some of the extra instrumentation, and that is a killer folk song! Mind you, I just heard it on Radio 2 & it is a good pop song, too. A good song is a good song!

Folk songs that could cut it as country? My favourite is the old English folk song "Three Drunken Maidens." That's a great drinking song in anyone's books!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music