Best of 2017

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Best of 2017

Postby Moshe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 am

It is that time of the year! Most of the big albums of 2017 have been released or will be in the next two weeks. So, what are the best albums of 2017 in your book, and the best gigs you have attended this year?

I'll kick off with some gigs I have attended this year.

MARGO PRICE is a frequent visitor over here and she gave a kicking performance back in January at Islington Assembly Halls. Certainly one of my musical highlights of the year!

In February LeAnn Rimes at the London Palladium put in a powerouse performance.

CMA songwriters at the Indigo in March was a good gig, most memorable for performances by LIZ ROSE and MAC McANNALLY.

Finally, in October, BRANDY CLARK put in a a good performance at the Union Chapel.

Not forgetting the free fest in the summer rain London Meets Nashville & Angeleena Presley's strong performance there! It was nice to meet her, too!

But the gig I enjoyed most? Has to go to Margo Price, with LeAnn Rimes comming in second!

I'll get to the albums later!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Best of 2017

Postby kev » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am

Best live event of the year, for me, was the Legends of Western Swing event in Wichita Falls. It was a fantastic 3 days of music with lots of great acts - Jason Roberts, Bobby Flores, Billy Mata & the Texas Tradition, Dave Alexander's Big Texas Swing Band, and ending with Asleep at the Wheel. Best of the weekend was Dave Alexander - really superb show, with lots of guest vocalists. Award for 'going through the motions' would have to go to Asleep at the Wheel ... it would probably have been great at any other time and place but having gone through two and a half days of amazing music, there's was a very lack lustre performance!

Almost certainly attending again next June, looking forward to it already!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:51 am

I was pretty much of the opinion Gods Problem child was the best of the year, by Willie Nelson, however it seems that the Midland album continues to impress and delight me. Really enjoying it and haven’t thought negatively about a single track. So Midland, they take my prize this year.
Gigs have sadly been few and far between, really disappointing how little I have been to, country music gigs, as I seem to be getting to quite a few non country gigs.
So Miranda Lambert was pretty good, not exceptional but enjoyable,
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:39 am

Here are my Top 5 Albums for the year, though this might change

1. GODS' PROBLEM CHILD- WILLIE NELSON
2. SWIMMING ALONE- LIZ ROSE
3. CLOSE TIES- RODNEY CROWELL
4. YOUNGER NOW- MILEY CYRUS
5.BARE FEET-CAROLINE JONES