Country Music's Greatest Vocalists

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Country Music's Greatest Vocalists

Postby Moshe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:51 pm

There are many fine country artistes, but only a few are really great singers.
Cash had a great deal of emotion in his vocals, & he had a resonant, warm voice, but not technically a great singer.
Dolly Parton has one of the greatest voices- she has everything. A great songwriter, a superb, emotional voice & brilliant presentation.

My standard bearers of truly great vocalists are Ella Fitzgerald, Barbra streisand and Patsy Cline. See, country just got in there. Purely as a vocalist, I don't think there is anyone in country to match Patsy Cline. She can tackle just about any song, and make them sound great, even some of the awful stuff Four star forced on her.

Running Patsy a close second in the country stakes i would say was Jim Reeves. The style he developed, the smooth baritone, after some early hicups, made the most of his voice & put him in the lead of the smooth crooners who became popular in country after the birth of rock & roll.

Today's artistes? To me, Eric Church has no voice, and much as I like Miranda Lambert's recent songwritting efforts, she hasn't got much of a voice.

LeAnn Rimes has one of the best voices in today's arena, but I think it is best displayed on her rendition of straight country as on her self titled album from some years back. I love her "Remnants" album, but to me the power of her vocals is best displayed on more stripped down production with a country slant.

An artiste does not always have to have a great voice. Most of my favourites don't. But when you get a really great voice & a great singing style, performing great material- that is something!

How do you guys feel about country singers, and how inportant is the voice and singing technique?

To me, Merle Haggard didn't have much of a voice but he had a great technique & could convey great emotion with his meager voice.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Country Music's Greatest Vocalists

Postby PeterJD » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:52 am

I am a middling fan of Lady Antebellum, but Hillary Scott has my favourite voice in country music, really love her voice. As far as males go, I like the tone of Tom T Hall, but unsure if I would say it is the best.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:23 am

Moshe wrote:
Running Patsy a close second in the country stakes i would say was Jim Reeves. The style he developed, the smooth baritone, after some early hicups, made the most of his voice & put him in the lead of the smooth crooners who became popular in country after the birth of rock & roll.

That's interesting, cos I much prefer Jim Reeves' earlier honky tonk style. I read somewhere that he never really liked it and much preferred the later smooth style. For me, it's just a little too smooth!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:22 am

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:

That's interesting, cos I much prefer Jim Reeves' earlier honky tonk style. I read somewhere that he never really liked it and much preferred the later smooth style. For me, it's just a little too smooth!

Yes, Jim Reeves started out real Texas Country. I recall reading that he was encouraged to try the smooth, crooner style, and that certainly worked for him.
I think his earlier recordings with the higher, more country vocals were OK, but with the deeper voiced vocals & that smooth style, he really killed it. I know it is not to everyone's taste.
Patsy Cline's natural inclination was to more country stuff, but Owen Bradley wanted her to record the smooth pop ballads that became so succesful for her. I think she sounds great in both.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:24 am

PeterJD wrote:I am a middling fan of Lady Antebellum, but Hillary Scott has my favourite voice in country music, really love her voice. As far as males go, I like the tone of Tom T Hall, but unsure if I would say it is the best.

Yes, Hilarry Scott has a very good voice. Was shown off to good effect on her gospel album.
For me, among male singers, I will most often listen to Johnny Cash. But I think Jim Reeves had the better voice, & was the better singer.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:39 pm

FEMALE: Suzy Bogguss, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Trisha Yearwood, Reba, Lorrie Morgan, Wynnona, Patty Loveless, Michelle Wright all reduced me to tears right through the 90s with the emotion and storytelling they conveyed.

MALE: Vince Gill, Jon Randall, Billy Dean
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music