CMP

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

CMP

Postby kev » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:19 pm

This month's CMP comes with a cover mounted CD! It's cleverly called CMPilation (vol 1) - well, I thought it was witty!! - and features 13 tracks, including exclusives from Mac McAnnlly and Dale Watson.

CD of the month is the new Chuck Cusimano release, "Broken Hearts and Honky Tonks". I picked this up when I met Chuck in Fort Worth last month - it's actually the first CD I've owned by him, it's always been downloads before. Can't really comment on it's worthiness for CD of the week, I've only listened to bits of it so far.
Last edited by kev on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
kev

Ultimate Member

Re: CMP November 2016

Postby livewire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:19 pm

kev wrote:This month's CMP comes with a cover mounted CD! It's cleverly called CMPilation (vol 1) - well, I thought it was witty!! - and features 13 tracks, including exclusives from Mac McAnnlly and Dale Watson.

Editor Duncan Warwick got some free promotion from his buddy Keith Greentree on BBC Norfolk "Rodeo Norfolk" mentioning the FREE CD which Keith said "was absolutely superb"

The November issue has almost a 1/2 page on Readers Comments/Letters adding to a FULL page in October's and first I've seen in 2016. Anything to say over 140 characters seems to be too much for people these days. Is there nothing that excites CMP readers.
There are a lot of talking points in November's issue.

I'm really not sure why there was a Duncan Warwick Top 50 Albums then Top 50 Songs followed by readers top choices padding out the publications.
The new COUNTRY MUSIC mag also ran with 50 Classic Songs and UKCountryRadio.com have spent a lot of time the past 3 years asking for listeners to submit their fav songs, Fave Lady singer now this year Fav guys to compile at the end of the year. What do these things achieve when you have no idea as to how many people voted.

With low sales of albums I think pages and pages of CD Reviews have had their day. 1/3 of CMP seems to be filled with them.
Publicists and artists might like the rave reviews but the only reviewer that matters is yourself.
I think they provide a way for reviewers to blag themselves FREE copies and to make a name for themselves.
A few pages listed with the latest releases and perhaps a playlist link provided to sample would suffice.

This is the BEST CD that Duncan Warwick can find you for November.
Country Music People November 2016 - Page 34
CD Album of the Month
CHUCK CUSIMANO Broken Hearts And Honky Tonks 5 STARS

She’s Someone / How Many / Broken Hearts / I Had Her Leaving’ Comin’ / Ten Thousand To One / Hangin’ Out In A Honky Tonk / Love That You Turned Down / You Can’t Bring Back Yesterday / There’s One In Every Bar / Home For The Heartache / I Only Forget You / What Can You Do
Producer: Chuck Cusimano
i2i Records 38:01
Audio Samples and available at http://www.i2irecords.com/ChuckCusimano.html

I’ve been going on about Chuck Cusimano for several years now and have referred to him as the Harlan Howard of Texas and one of the greatest undiscovered (outside of Texas dance halls) songwriters in country music. Just in case you didn’t believe me then, believe me now, Cusimano’s latest, Broken Hearts And Honky Tonks, is not only a perfect showcase for Cusimano’s songwriting chops, but also one of the best damn albums you’ll hear this year if it’s Texas country that floats your boat. He ain’t a bad singer either.

This could well be Cusimano’s strongest album yet, with his considerable talents focused more directly on Texas hardwood floors. In fact, it will be difficult to find anything more Texas than this. For conclusive proof that Cusimano knows his way around a proper country song check out Love That You Turned Down which Faron Young could have nailed in about 1968 and ought to become a future Texas classic. Then there’s the very Haggardish There’s One In Every Bar and if the Hag was still with us I can’t imagine him not cutting this because it’s as good as any Haggard song that I can think of. Best of all, though, and the one I had to play on repeat at least ten times, which is one of the best real country songs I’ve heard this year.

Chuck swings it on How Many; shuffles it on She’s Someone, Hangin’ Out In A Honky Tonk and You Can’t Bring Back Yesterday; and slows it down for What Can You Do. Absolutely any of these songs could be included in any set in any dance hall in Texas by any regular performers on that circuit, and are all deserving of future classic status in that sub-genre. Chuck doesn’t put a foot wrong anywhere and when it comes to writing songs in this style there’s no one coming close these days. Once again Chuck has delivered the goods and proved that with his songs out there (and who knows how many he might have demoed and not released) there really is no excuse for rehashing City Lights, There Stands The Glass and Walk On By no matter how great they are.

If Chuck’s songs were around at that time then we’d all be considering them classics now. Cusimano releases can be notoriously tricky to get hold of, but, even if the dollar price makes them expensive thanks to our crashing pound, and postage is high, this album is still a bargain at double the price: it really is that good.
Duncan Warwick
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:51 am

You know, there's a really easy answer to all this - if you don't like CMP, don't read it! Simple!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:33 pm

kev wrote:You know, there's a really easy answer to all this - if you don't like CMP, don't read it! Simple!

Perfectly put!!! :D
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:05 pm

Moshe wrote:Perfectly put!!! :D

Not much of a contribution to the thread.

Any thoughts on Chuck Cusimano album or other albums reviewed over some 18 pages.

I liked CMP enough to browse it but haven't bought a copy for 2 years.
The Digital version looks to have got cheaper for the Nov issue which may make it worth considering in the future.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:54 pm

Oops! Meant this to be in the 2017 thread! :oops: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11833

Last edited by kev on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:00 pm

Mmm. Livewirer hasn't bought a copy of CMP for TWO YEARS- yet he is still posting lengthy rants about it!!! :lol: :lol:
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: CMP Thread

Postby kev » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:57 pm

Here's the December cover ... especially for livewirer!

kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:14 pm

I can see why you bought it Kev..................................Shakin' Stevens!
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:10 am

kev wrote:Here's the December cover ... especially for livewirer!

So an upgrade for Dale Watson from the editor after his 5 STAR Under The Influence Honky Tonker Of The Month review in Novembers issue.
It really defines what Country Music People is all about aimed mostly at core readers who are purists, traditional and honky-tonk fans.
It's good there will be a feature on Irene Kelley, been a fan since her debut.
Looks like Duncan Warwick's trusty obituary man in Nashville Walt Trott has put together a piece remembering Holly Dunn
Denny Strickland name on the front cover too! A terrific single and hot video that went #1 in Europe recently on Hotdisc.

Prior to his gig on Tuesday 1 November 2016 at Bleach, Brighton Dale Watson spoke with CMP Reviewer Chris Smith.
This is what he said to say on Ameripolitan:

Dale Watson: People get it, it became a very positive thing that started out very negative (Ref: from Blake Shelton "nobody likes Grandad's music"...).
It incensed me that's why I wrote "I'd Rather Be An Old Fart, Than A New Country Turd"
There's venues that wanna get roots music out there where a natural progression of what country music would have looked had it not been polluted by POP stuff . So I said I'm going to do an awards show.
Dale: Country music today is for people who don't like country music.
Chris Smith YES.
Dale: That's why I do Ameripolitan, what is perceived as country music has got nothing to do with me. I can't relate to it I have no connection to it whatsoever.
They could haul up the dead carpets of Merle Haggard and Hank Williams all day long and tie it around and say they care about it but they don't. It needed to have a new name because I can't say wherever where I go that I tell people I do country music they automatically think of Taylor Swift the stuff that is light years away from me. It confuses people when I say I do country music, that's what they think of, were talking about the mainstream people.
It's easier to tell people something new than it is to refine their thinking.

One of the talking points I thought this forum would pick up on was editor Duncan Warwick in Country Music People raised the question in the November issue whether the UK success for Ward Thomas & The Shires is a good thing or not. I doubt many of their fans will be avid readers of CMP so doubt there will be a readers letters backlash. Duncan doesn't seem to mind ruffling the feathers at Decca Nashville or Sony UK and went to print saying what a lot of people are probably thinking but too polite not to say it.

In a 2 page feature he said
Whilst it can be argued there is a whole new generation of fans for whom this is country music would this total annihilation of everything that made the genre what it is be tolerated in any other genre?”..
Regarding The Shires on National Lottery Show talking with Gaby Logan and having to mention the word "Country":
But do they have to tell us this because anyone who has heard a REAL country record wouldn’t recognise this as country if the “C” word country hadn’t been mentioned.
Would audiences sitting at home in their armchairs be saying "Oh that's a good country record or would they see it as just another POP record....Whereas an act like The Shires who are are PURE POP yet are considered country.

Duncan gave The Shires new album MY UNIVERSE 3.1/2 STARS....saying in fact overall the album relies on "ooh ohhs" & "heys" & "ooh ahhs"..Frankie Boyle likened Kylie Minogue to a chicken nugget and I'm inclined to liken this album to one for the same reason

Ward Thomas' CARTWHEELS got 4 STARS..... it seems to me it's very clever marketing to big it up and make a big thing out of its chart success and that "country" is a badge of convenience...feels to me like a country-pop album designed to win over POP audiences and be radio friendly.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:11 pm

livewirer wrote:
One of the talking points I thought this forum would pick up on was editor Duncan Warwick in Country Music People raised the question in the November issue whether the UK success for Ward Thomas & The Shires is a good thing or not. I doubt many of their fans will be avid readers of CMP so doubt there will be a readers letters backlash. Duncan doesn't seem to mind ruffling the feathers at Decca Nashville or Sony UK and went to print saying what a lot of people are probably thinking but too polite not to say it.

In a 2 page feature he said
Whilst it can be argued there is a whole new generation of fans for whom this is country music would this total annihilation of everything that made the genre what it is be tolerated in any other genre?”..
Regarding The Shires on National Lottery Show talking with Gaby Logan and having to mention the word "Country":
But do they have to tell us this because anyone who has heard a REAL country record wouldn’t recognise this as country if the “C” word country hadn’t been mentioned.
Would audiences sitting at home in their armchairs be saying "Oh that's a good country record or would they see it as just another POP record....Whereas an act like The Shires who are are PURE POP yet are considered country.

Duncan gave The Shires new album MY UNIVERSE 3.1/2 STARS....saying in fact overall the album relies on "ooh ohhs" & "heys" & "ooh ahhs"..Frankie Boyle likened Kylie Minogue to a chicken nugget and I'm inclined to liken this album to one for the same reason

Ward Thomas' CARTWHEELS got 4 STARS..... it seems to me it's very clever marketing to big it up and make a big thing out of its chart success and that "country" is a badge of convenience...feels to me like a country-pop album designed to win over POP audiences and be radio friendly.

I think it's a bit like the comment I made over on the UK Country thread and the stuff about the UK Awards - does anyone really care enough to make a fuss? It's not what I think of as country but the great thing is I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Re: CMP

Postby Moshe » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:32 pm

as the professor said, "pop, shmop. Country, shmuntry!" It is what it is, till it ain't anymore.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:17 am

livewirer wrote:

One of the talking points I thought this forum would pick up on was editor Duncan Warwick in Country Music People raised the question in the November issue whether the UK success for Ward Thomas & The Shires is a good thing or not.

Something that I thought was interesting was the feature about reader's top 10 songs and artists (I think that was in the last edition?). Obviously it's a matter of opinion and both lists were pretty much what I expected, though there were a couple of songs I didn't recognise (I keep meaning to listen to them ... ). The real anomaly for me was that in joint 10th place for favourite song was Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt". OK, fine piece of music in itself but I can't say I find particularly 'country' and can't imagine it would even scrape into my top 100 Johnny Cash songs of all time let alone top 10 country songs of all time! Any one else out there who would put that in a top 10?
kev

Ultimate Member

Re: CMP

Postby PeterJD » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:39 am

Agree entirely Kev, its a Johnny Cash song for people that don't know Johnny Cash's songs.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:54 pm

kev wrote:I think it's a bit like the comment I made over on the UK Country thread and the stuff about the UK Awards - does anyone really care enough to make a fuss? It's not what I think of as country but the great thing is I DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO IT!!

CMP Editor Duncan Warwick thought it worthy and newsy enough to devote 2 pages to it in the November issue.
Maybe he just wanted to get his opinion across as a country purist and see what other people thought.
Both albums are NON COUNTRY enough to appeal to the UK public at large. I have relations who aren't country fans but have been to a Shires Festival appearnce and bought the Ward Thomas album. Both acts still seem to convince BBC DJs including Bob Harris that they are country.
CARTWHEELS & MY UNIVERSE have shifted 90,000 copies between them since their release. It's now dubious that The Shires can still claim "Fastest Selling UK Country Album of all time"
livewire

Supreme Member

Next

Return to Worldwide Country Music