"Country Music" magazine

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

"Country Music" magazine

Postby Moshe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:43 am

I came across this new glossy magazine at Gatwick Airport on my way to Spain a couple of weeks ago.
The Shires are on the front cover, but inside an interesting set of articles on a wide range of country music by good writers.
Mostly really well written, (unlike much of the journalism in 'Maverick') with articles on Dolly Parton, Eric Church, Ward Thomas, The Cadillac Three and, of course, The Shires.
Inevitably, there are things like 50 Greatest Country Songs, which inevitably are arbitrary. (Is "I Walk The Line" REALLY the best ever country song? I am a Johnny Cash song, nut I don't even think this is a good song.
There's even a crossword!
The magazine is quarterly at present, but may become more frequent depending on sales and so on.

My overall opinion is fairly positive. Very much better than the country mag put out about a year ago by Classic Rock, and with the standard of journalism probably better than most of the competition.

Anyone else seen this?
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: "Country Music" magazine

Postby kev » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:53 am

Moshe wrote:I came across this new glossy magazine at Gatwick Airport on my way to Spain a couple of weeks ago.
The Shires are on the front cover, but inside an interesting set of articles on a wide range of country music by good writers.
Mostly really well written, (unlike much of the journalism in 'Maverick') with articles on Dolly Parton, Eric Church, Ward Thomas, The Cadillac Three and, of course, The Shires.
Inevitably, there are things like 50 Greatest Country Songs, which inevitably are arbitrary. (Is "I Walk The Line" REALLY the best ever country song? I am a Johnny Cash song, nut I don't even think this is a good song.
There's even a crossword!
The magazine is quarterly at present, but may become more frequent depending on sales and so on.

My overall opinion is fairly positive. Very much better than the country mag put out about a year ago by Classic Rock, and with the standard of journalism probably better than most of the competition.

Anyone else seen this?

Livewirer mentioned it in the UK Country section a few weeks ago. I looked at it in Smiff's the other day - it's one of those things I'd like to have a good look at but not necessarily buy. And yes, "Walk the Line" is a strange choice for Greatest Song: it's the sort of thing I'd expect to see in a non-country magazine - "Best country song? Gotta be Johnny Cash, cos I've heard of him!"
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:29 am

Walk the Line isn't even Cash's best song let alone the best in country music. That's a different thread though. Might give this a go but unsure if it is aimed at me, or indeed people who post here. The Shires on the cover this issue, Cash after, perhaps Dolly then.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:12 pm

In these days of instant internet access, I'm not sure of the purpose of any of the national country magazines, to be honest. I used to buy CMP and occasionally Maverick but there isn't anything in them that I can't find easily online now. Certainly by the time a mag features something like a new CD release or an American country star touring the UK, I already know about it via the internet (especially this forum!)

I might, like Moshe did, buy a country magazine if I saw one in an airport newsagents and had a longish flight ahead of me but I wouldn't buy one on a regular basis.

I used to subscribe to Southern Country when I lived in Bristol, but that was to give me news and reviews of local country music clubs. I now get the Scottish equivalent.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:01 pm

PeterJD wrote:Walk the Line isn't even Cash's best song let alone the best in country music. That's a different thread though. Might give this a go but unsure if it is aimed at me, or indeed people who post here. The Shires on the cover this issue, Cash after, perhaps Dolly then.

As to who this mag is aimed at, I think it is casting its net wide.
The writers appear genuinely knowledgeable about country, and I don't expect to see Cash on the cover of the next issue. The Classic Rock Country mag was poor, I thought, & done by people who do not know country music, but saw this as a possible market for their brand. I think this magazine in better thought out.
At £5.99 a pop, it is OK as a quarterly, but would you be prepared to spend £6 each month on one magazine?
I'll keep an eye out for the next issue in December.

Peter, I agree with you about "I Walk the Line". As much of a Cash fan as I am, I always thought that song overhyped and only just OK. I think songs like "Big River", "Get Rhythm" & even "Folsom Prison Blues" (even though that is basicly a stolen song. Cash brazenly stole the tune & some of the lyrics of another song he heard & wrote a few new lyrics based on a movie he saw about Folsom Prison. A good song, but outright theft! Not sure that would land him in Folsom or San Quentin, but could have cost him a big fine if the original writers had taken it to court.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Moshe wrote:I came across this new glossy magazine at Gatwick Airport on my way to Spain a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone else seen this?

See My POST viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11795#p137506

I haven't bought a copy of MAVERICK since unsubscribed in 2008. It lost its way with content and switch to Roots music

COUNTRY MUSIC PEOPLE - I haven't bought a copy for 2 years. I find its aimed at the traditionalist, Honky-Tonk Texas scene and obscure features.
Also find the reviews can't be relied upon. I have sampled scores of albums they have reviewed and found little that I wanted to buy.
I've found some great albums and tracks the last few years that this mag & Maverick have never featured!
Editor Duncan Warwick has padded out the last 2 issues with best of Albums / Singles over the past 30 years.

COUNTRY MUSIC - A quick 5 min browse was enough for me to make me want to buy it. It's a very good balance and bettered suited to the C2C fan.
At least most of the artists you recognize and they also provide 2 useful Spotify playlist links to sample the artists music in the publication.
Normally I don't spend over £20 in Tesco but by buying this I was able to use a £3 voucher so in effect got it for £2.99.
Haven't had the spare time to read it through yet.
For the money they have 132 pages compared to CMP's 68 pages

If it's successful they say it will be published on a more regular basis.
Country Music is now available as an App for desktop, tablet or smartphone.
Download issue 1 for just £3.99 / $4.99 and read the magazine on the go wherever you are!
https://pocketmags.com/country-music-info-magazine#

It is much more widely available in Tesco, HMV, WHS, and selective Sainsbury stores.
They had them all on display with The Shires new album in HMV.
UKCountryRadio, CMR Nashville, Local BBC, C2C and lot of artists seem to be backing the magazine.

Be interesting if it bites into the CMP market share or will find a whole new audience with a lean towards a younger demographic.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:18 pm

livewirer wrote:

Anyone else seen this?

See My POST http://countrymusic.org.uk/community/vi ... 95#p137506

I haven't bought a copy of MAVERICK since unsubscribed in 2008. It lost its way with content and switch to Roots music

COUNTRY MUSIC PEOPLE - I haven't bought a copy for 2 years. I find its aimed at the traditionalist, Honky-Tonk Texas scene and obscure features.
Also find the reviews can't be relied upon. I have sampled scores of albums they have reviewed and found little that I wanted to buy.
I've found some great albums and tracks the last few years that this mag & Maverick have never featured!
Editor Duncan Warwick has padded out the last 2 issues with best of Albums / Singles over the past 30 years.

COUNTRY MUSIC - A quick 5 min browse was enough for me to make me want to buy it. It's a very good balance and bettered suited to the C2C fan.
At least most of the artists you recognize and they also provide 2 useful Spotify playlist links to sample the artists music in the publication.
Normally I don't spend over £20 in Tesco but by buying this I was able to use a £3 voucher so in effect got it for £2.99.
Haven't had the spare time to read it through yet.
For the money they have 132 pages compared to CMP's 68 pages

If it's successful they say it will be published on a more regular basis.
Country Music is now available as an App for desktop, tablet or smartphone.
Download issue 1 for just £3.99 / $4.99 and read the magazine on the go wherever you are!
https://pocketmags.com/country-music-info-magazine#

It is much more widely available in Tesco, HMV, WHS, and selective Sainsbury stores.
They had them all on display with The Shires new album in HMV.
UKCountryRadio, CMR Nashville, Local BBC, C2C and lot of artists seem to be backing the magazine.

Be interesting if it bites into the CMP market share or will find a whole new audience with a lean towards a younger demographic.

Yes, I like this magazine. An amusing item, to me, in it was coverage of the UK Country Awards. I think I am well versed in country, even moderately so in British Country, but I have not heard of any of the big winners in these awards.
Ward Thomas were not even nominated for anything and while The Shires were nominated, they lost out to Holloway Road (Duo) & Raintown (Album & UK Country Artist. OK, I have heard of Raintown, but their success compared to The Shires or Ward Thomas? Female singer; "Zenne".(??) No Callaghan or any other singer who has actually been played on the radio? Male Vocalist Thorn Hill (???) Not sure what criteria these awards use.

A bit of a digression there. But nice features, including a short piece on the Bluebird Café.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:16 am

Moshe wrote:Yes, I like this magazine. An amusing item, to me, in it was coverage of the UK Country Awards. I think I am well versed in country, even moderately so in British Country, but I have not heard of any of the big winners in these awards.
Ward Thomas were not even nominated for anything and while The Shires were nominated, they lost out to Holloway Road (Duo) & Raintown (Album & UK Country Artist. OK, I have heard of Raintown, but their success compared to The Shires or Ward Thomas? Female singer; "Zenne".(??) No Callaghan or any other singer who has actually been played on the radio? Male Vocalist Thorn Hill (???) Not sure what criteria these awards use.

You can read more about the artists and hear all the award presentations and live performances in my blog review/feature
UKCountryRadio.com Listeners Awards - 9th Party

As followed the UK Country scene more by logging the artists gig dates and receiving press submissions etc I was aware of all the names that both won and were nominated for the awards.
It was at the UKCountryRadio.com awards that I first heard about COUNTRY MUSIC mag with the exclusive announcement which the editor presented the Female Country Singer of The Year Award to Zenne.

Callaghan you mention. Despite her playing C2C Pop ups twice I've always considered her back from 2007 a singer-songwriter in the Sarah McLachlan mold.

Holloway Road - Seen them at C2C Pops Ups in 2015 and 2016. Blogged about some of their singles. They have supported a lot of acts around the UK and been the DJs at the Nashville Nights events. Quite a insightful award win!

Thorne Hill - He has been around quite a lot of years. In Fact I think he posted on this forum before along with nearly all the artists headed off to Facebook pastures news. He brought out a couple of EPs and mostly played the CMC scene. He played C2C Pop Up stage in 2013 or 2014 but used backing tracks. This last year he has joined the "other camp" cool singer-songwriter Brit Country scene. His album got 5 STARS in Country Music People and has joined a whole load of artists who have all had their music recorded by Justin Johnson (mentioned in my Blog Post) at Parr Street Studios. There have been so many you can instantly identify the recording style and musicians with similar riffs and guitar runs.

It was the musicians Parr Street particularly guitarist Scott Poley and Claire Bain's vocals who are the stars of Raintown's Award winning album. Raintown are also up for 6 BCMAwards later this month.
I think there were a few other Brit Country albums which should of been in the mix. Danni Nichols was a very strong album.
It was a fairly quiet year for Brit albums and Raintown played relatively few gigs to support WRITING ON THE WALL.
Both The Shires & Ward Thomas toured and played some notable Festivals including Radio 2 Hyde Park but both parties were in the process of writing and recording their now "recording breaking" country (?) albums.
2 years ago when Ward Thomas were not even in the top 10 for Artist of the Year despite achieving so much I campaigned online and emailed UKCR presenters to mostly embarrass them. It probably resulted in the Facebook and Twitter bans. But then suddenly Ward Thomas became a surprise 11th nominee but never won. I very much doubt very many Shires or Ward Thomas fans listen to UKCountryRadio.com there's much more chance they tune into the repetitive Chris Radio.

It doesn't matter how good or how bad an artist you are to be nominated.
It's not based on MERIT but on online voting.
You could nominate any artist and voting for all of the Awards were open to everyone until midnight on 31st May.
Based on the number of ONLINE votes, five finalists were identified in each category, with the exception of the UK Country Artist Of The Year category in which ten finalists were identified.
The finalists were voted on by a panel made up of UKCountryRadio.com's presenters and staff together with people who have held a Gold, Silver or Bronze subscription to UKCountryRadio.com since before January 1st 2016.

It was pretty embarrassing that UKCR had to announce Wayne Jacobs as the winner of the Listeners Cub song award for the 5th year running.
He has a new song out which is #1 on a Worldwide Airplay chart. I believe he will promote it to UKCR so there is every chance he WILL win in 2017. It's already a done deal based on number of online voting before the final voting that he wins. He has 11K loyal fans and has Facebook groups and radio community voting for him. Social media guru Mr. Meakin (namechecked most weeks on Rodeo Norfolk) spends time on social media encouraging people to vote for Jacobs.
Some DJs refuse to believe that when they introduce a song as "Wayne Jacobs" it is not him SINGING or playing on the recorded tracks. He writes the songs and has people in Nashville record them. Wayne Jacobs singing voice isn't great! He was an early exit (before TV stages) a few years back on The Voice UK auditions.

Some of the most played songs on UKCR are pretty awful as are their Weekend Spotlight Artists.
The best presented show in terms of quality of music played has gone so I rarely listen to the station anymore.
I read recently that this years awards nearly didn't happen with mounting costs but an unknown sponsor stepped in at the last minute. They are now hoping you will buy one of their 2017 Calendars with photos from the awards.
It was good I thought that COUNTRY MUSIC printed that 2 page photo feature that you mention and also that UKCountryRadio.com are backing the magazine.

Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:36 pm

I gave up on UK Country Radio a while ago.
I think Chris Country is OK, & when I want to listen to country on the radio, that is where I usually go. They maybe play it a bit too safe by being too mainstream, but not bad. I wouldn't tune into them all day.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:56 am

Justin Johnson is local to me, my daughter knows him and I think has contributed vocals to one of his tracks. He does have a very distinct sound. Interesting post above Livewirer, a good read.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:22 pm

PeterJD wrote:Justin Johnson is local to me, my daughter knows him and I think has contributed vocals to one of his tracks. He does have a very distinct sound. Interesting post above Livewirer, a good read.

That's interesting. I guess Justin records lots of genres not just country.
Jeannine Barry and Kira Mac are 2 other UK country acts who have recorded with him

Moshe wrote:I gave up on UK Country Radio a while ago.
I think Chris Country is OK, & when I want to listen to country on the radio, that is where I usually go. They maybe play it a bit too safe by being too mainstream, but not bad. I wouldn't tune into them all day.

Take the prizes and run ! LOL
UKCR Spotlight artist this weekend Gone Country. Really naff and had a famed 1 STAR Album review in CMP.
You won't be buying & hanging a £12 UKCountryRadio.com Calendar up then?

Here is the UKCR Male Singer of the Year in said Calendar
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 am

I think Country Music magazine deserves to bite into the sales of Maverick Magazine.

You know when a publication that says its "The Leading Independent Country Music Magazine" has lost its way when it runs with a 7 page Cover feature on Beth Hart.
They seem to have developed a habit of handing out 5 STAR reviews for advertising too.
She's been on the Radio 2 Playlist had 5 STAR Reviews but there is NOTHING Country about her album , to my ears JAZZ!

UK iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/fire- ... 1142170935
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/album/4dd5Bj6h0y58Qi0027fJu0

As Beth said, “we’re human beings, we use eight per cent of our brain at the most – we don’t know what the f**k we’re doing! So I kinda decided ‘give yourself a break’… We’re trying to do the best we can and we’re gonna mess up – a lot!”

livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:00 pm

Yes, I have seen that.

Oddly enough, I am still getting Maverick in the post.
I don't think their subscription department is too efficient, because I often used to not get it when I subscribed. Then I didn't get it for a while, then suddenly it started coming every two months. It is fine as a freebie.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:53 pm

PeterJD wrote:Walk the Line isn't even Cash's best song let alone the best in country music. That's a different thread though. Might give this a go but unsure if it is aimed at me, or indeed people who post here. The Shires on the cover this issue, Cash after, perhaps Dolly then.

New issue out. Cash, Willie and Waylon on the front.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:55 pm

PeterJD wrote:

New issue out. Cash, Willie and Waylon on the front.

Yes, I saw this in WH Smith. I was tempted to but it, but at £5.99 seems a bit pricey. I looked through the new issue, but was undecided.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Next

Return to Worldwide Country Music