Different strokes for different folks

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is NOT specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Different strokes for different folks

Postby livewirer on Tue May 10, 2016 9:19 pm
IP:

Keith Greentree BBC Radio Norfolk
- Different strokes for different folks
We play songs to suit everybody, I try and reflect the way country music is today and has been over the years, we play a bit of everything. Stretching it from over here to over there...The further we go the further its becoming very close to POP, in fact it's almost POP

Should a 3 hour Saturday morning Country show be able to really mix it up and appeal to be a broader listener base :?:
It seems as though the nostalgia and country traditionlists don't think so.
Opening with a country/rock track Jason Greeley "Wasn't That A Party" was met with a immediate complaint.
I can remember that when Taylor Swift was played on the show she was put down and also on the Easternn counties on BBC Essex

Keith went on to play some Bluegrass saying that he didn't play much because a lot of it sounded the same.
Listener Kev :bowdown: messaged in to say he agreed and that some people might say that the same could be said for "the great" Texas Honky Tonk sound and Western Swing.
So many bluegrass tracks do sound like the The Beverly Hillbillies! Why the same high pitched yelp on Swing songs :?:
Alison Krauss & Union Station was a bit of a turning point and then the first Nickel Creek (Bluegrass purists didn't think they were Bluegrass)
There are artists like Kristy Cox, Claire Lynch, Sierra Hull and some of Rhonda Vincent's more mainstream songs I enjoy.

A while ago with so many templates of cringeworthy Bro-country tracks and bland and boring country songs a video was made showing how they all sounded the same.

Keith Greentree then told the listeners "I've got a song lined up by Beyonce, it's on the new Lemonade album and it IS country, YES you know what I took a listen and it IS country . You tell me what you think. That's country in my book. When I'm stretching the genre I reckon that comes under today's country music. If the Dixie Chicks do it, that's country in my book"
Beyonce "Daddy Lessons"
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/lemonade/id1107429221

Listen back on BBC Radio Norfolk from 2 hr 35
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03sclwj

You've guess it 5 minutes later an irate listener Phyliss texted: I DON'T like it, keep it country, that's NOT what I call country

Whether Blake Shelton is a Beyonce fan or not, he defends her right to make whatever kind of music she wants (and Greentree's right to play music he wants), including one of her new country-flavored tracks, “Daddy Lessons.”
Several critics have come out saying the song isn’t actually country, but Shelton says it doesn’t matter.
“People that criticize can kiss my a–. That’s what I say,” Shelton told ET. “I can’t believe people that don’t contribute to music that criticize music, it just blows my mind and Beyonce — tell them to kiss that a–, is what I would do.”
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Re: Different strokes for different folks

Postby kev on Wed May 11, 2016 8:49 am
IP:

I thought the Beyonce track was OK, certainly as country (or even more so) than the stuff that Sam Hunt or FGL have churned out in the last couple of years. But is Blake Shelton really the person to preach to people? Judging by his output over recent years, the silly ar*se has obviously forgotten what country is supposed to sound like!!!
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe on Wed May 11, 2016 9:01 am
IP:

A few points.
I havn't heard the Beyoncé track- can't listen online at work- but I will check it out later.
I often enjoy non-country artistes doing country. Millie Jackson did a nifty country album in the eighties, & Cyndi Lauper has a cracking new country album out.

With regard to Bluegrass, I agree some of it can sound samey & I am bored by the old murder ballads, but I do like a lot of bluegrass stuff now & again.
Alison krauss, Ricky Skaggs, The Grascals are a few of the Bluegrass acts I like
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby kev on Wed May 11, 2016 10:17 am
IP:

livewirer wrote: Why the same high pitched yelp on Swing songs :?:

kev
Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m on Wed May 18, 2016 7:13 pm
IP:

Well, here you go. Now you can judge for yourselves.

It's not what I'd call country. Just because the lyrics reference soldiers, whisky, motorcycles and rifles don't make it a country song.
But it may be what some other person (some sad, misguided fool) calls country. It's not a bad song. In fact I can see it being really popular in the US. It certainly ticks all the right cultural boxes.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Return to Worldwide Country Music