Ameripolitan Week in Austin

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is NOT specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Ameripolitan Week in Austin

Postby kev on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:40 pm
IP:

Have a look at this list of gigs during the Ameripolitan festival in Austin when I'm there later in February. On top of this I'll also be heading out to see The Wagoneers and Heybale! at the Continental, the Cornell Hurd Band at Patsy's Cowgirl Cafe, and the great Alvin Crow at Ginny's Little Longhorn. Gonna be a tiring week I think!

kev
Ultimate Member

Re: Ameripolitan Week in Austin

Postby Smudger on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:56 pm
IP:

I thought Whitey Morgan was on somewhere? Looks like a late Saturday night for the other bearded one!
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:27 am
IP:

Smudger wrote:I thought Whitey Morgan was on somewhere? Looks like a late Saturday night for the other bearded one!

He's on the bill for the awards show.
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:37 am
IP:

Have a good trip!
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:40 am
IP:

Just back from Saturday after gig at The ABGB, a fantastic 5 hours, and a really nice venue - a working brewery! Michael Dart & The Skyline Wranglers were as good as I hoped they'd be, nothing earth-shattering but excellent traditional bar room country music (check out their debut album from a few years ago). I didn't know anything about the second act, Paul Pigat, but he turned out to be a fantastic rock & roll guitarist who mixed in some classic country and western swing. He was backed by Dale's drummer and bass player. Marvellous stuff!

Dale was as great as ever, very relaxed and happy to share the stage with Ameripolitan Awards nominees in the audience. Looking forward to his swing concert later in the week.

Met some nice people and spent most of the afternoon with Casey James Prestwood and his band!

kev
Ultimate Member

Postby kev on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:22 am
IP:

I was at Ginny's this afternoon to see Casey James Prestwood and the Burning Angels. Marvellous stuff - would certainly recommend getting to see them play if you get the chance.

Met some really people people at the Dale Watson gig yesterday, including a group of rockabilly fans from the US and Europe. I was chatting to one chap and didn't realise he was Charlie Thompson, who's up for an award at the Ameripolitan Awards, until he was asked to get up and sing with Casey James Prestwood. His album, "The Foothill Sessions", is well worth a listen - nice guy too, and, boy, can he dance! Got tired just watching him!

I’m just back from the Continental. I managed to get in there and back without injuring myself!! The Wagoneers were fantastic - they must be the coolest band on the planet. Truly excellent, not a dull moment in the 90 minutes they were on stage! Lots of great songs from the 3rd album which has, incredibly, been ready to go for a couple of years but the record company won't release it!

The Wagoneers were followed by Heybale! I'd been looking forward to seeing them for years but despite having Dallas Wayne, Redd Volkeart, and pianist Earl Poole Ball in the current line-up, they came across as some grumpy old geezers plodding through some songs! Shame, but never mind - a chance for an early night!

kev
Ultimate Member

Postby kev on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:34 am
IP:

Just an average night in Austin .... happened to bump into a few people!

kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:49 am
IP:

Ray's a big lad, isn't he? You should have worn a big hat!
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:25 pm
IP:

It was a strange evening over all. The band for the whole evening was Dale's Lone Stars together with Redd Volkeart, Earl Poole Ball on piano, and Jason Roberts on fiddle. There was also an underused horn section. The turn round between the acts was very slick, with those acts appearing with a band making use of the same instruments. Best performances were from Jason Roberts, demonstrating just why he was a double award winner on the night, and Charley Pride, sounding great and being very funny!

I think my only criticism of the event would be its Texas-centric nature. In the non-musician categories, if Texas was in the line-up, it seemed to win. There were some people sitting behind me who were getting quite worked up about this, possibly rightly so. I was very surprised that the Best Venue award went to the White Horse in Austin ..... I only know one of the other nominees (The Nashville Palace, very nice place!) but for the award to go to the White Horse seemed an incredible choice - the place is an absolute dump!! I think they'll have to watch that in the future if they don't want the awards to be seen as just Texas awards!

kev
Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
IP:

I was looking at the winners Kev and of course there are exceptions but you are correct, very Texan.
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD
Supreme Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music