Country Exclisives 2017

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Country Exclisives 2017

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Livewirer, it is a matter of record that Tony Blair was one of the most successful British PM's. He was one of the very few PM's to win 3 general elections in succession, & the only labour PM to even win 2 successive GE's.
Regardless of what you think of his politics, just look at the facts. Thatcher was the other success as PM of the modern era.
No political leader in a modern secular democracy would claim to make decisions based on hearing God's voice directing them.

Joan of arc claimed that the Saints gave her directions for her hugely successful military tactics, but I think it came from her own good sense and analytical powers.

Anyway, that is enough politics here for the time being.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Oh, the Old Days of Country Music!
When Country Stars were influenced by Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Aerosmith & Linda Ronstadt!

These days the Bro Country guys name Drake, Jay Z, RunDMC and so forth.

Will any country artistes today actually own to be influenced by an actual Country Artist?

I have heard more rock and indie artistes cite Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash and George jones as influences than country artistes.
I have always been keen on musical cross pollination. after all, Western Swing came out of a cross pollination of country, jazz & western music. Jimmie Rodgers was working with Louis Armstrong and Ray Charles went all Country AND Western on us!

But the problem with the Bro country acts is that they want to be simply white hip hop artistes. And make hip hop of the crassest most basic sort.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 pm

COUNTRY GOSPEL!

When I started buying country lp's (you know, the vinyl sort!) , a country lp usually closed with a gospel song.
Dolly Parton would close an lp with a gospel favourite such as "How Great Thou Art", while many of her secular songs had religious imagery ("Letter to heaven" & many of her other death songs.

As Juliette Barnes in "Nashville" embarks on making a gospel album with her black church choir, we will look back on real life gospel albums by mainstream country artistes.
The tradition has not entirely died out. The Female vocalist with Lady Antebellum, Hillary Scott, recently teamed up with her family to do a gospel album.
The album includes her mum Linda Davis and her kids along with other family members.

Dolly has recorded a number of gospel albums, one of my favourites being an early effort from her, "GOLDEN STREETS OF GLORY"

The Whites and Porter wagoner are among others to have gone all Godly for a whole album, while Johnny Cash recorded several religious projects.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:06 am

Moshe wrote:COUNTRY GOSPEL!

As Juliette Barnes in "Nashville" embarks on making a gospel album with her black church choir, we will look back on real life gospel albums by mainstream country artistes.
The tradition has not entirely died out. The Female vocalist with Lady Antebellum, Hillary Scott, recently teamed up with her family to do a gospel album.

Yes bought Hillary Scott & the Scott Family's - Love Remains (Decca/ EMI Nashville) released in July 2016. Its a really strong album and a favourite from last year.

Released Feb 12, 2016 Joey+Rory - HYMNS That Are Important To Us (Gaither Music Group/Umgd) it didn't sell many over here but was the 2nd biggest Country seller by an album released in 2016 selling over 500K. After her death it became increasingly more difficult to listen to some of the tracks.
(7 April 2017) Joey Feek - If Not For You (Universal Music Digital Services/ Gaither Music Group)
12 Tracks/ Time: 43:19
Feek originally recorded If Not for You in 2005, but the record was only available via her husband Rory Feek’s online store and at live shows that the Feeks performed as Joey + Rory.
The disc contains 12 songs, including a tribute to Joey Feek’s brother Justin (“See You There”) and the original version of “That’s Important to Me,” a charting single (No. 51) for Joey + Rory in 2010.

In the past bought albums by Susie Luchsinger (Susie McEntire) the sister of Reba. Even got Radio 2 interested in her playing at least 8 tracks from her catalog.
Used to play this album a lot

(3 Feb 2017) Reba McEntire - Sing It Now: Songs Of Faith & Hope (Deluxe; NASH Icon) 22 Tracks/ Time: 1:24:09
UK iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/reba ... re/id48529
https://open.spotify.com/album/7Kanwex9PqtWauBPPZHWdc
Reba released new album SING IT NOW: SONGS OF FAITH & HOPE (Nash Icon/Capitol Christian). The new 2-disc, 20-song Gospel album features 10 of Reba's favorite hymns and 10 new inspirational songs. I cherry picked about 5 songs from the 2-CD, mostly from Disc 2.
Reba didn't treat the C2C audience to much from it playing just 2 tracks, though halve the O2 had upped and left heading for the bars and After Parties!

Maybe more of the young generation of country artists will add a gospel track after all one of the first people they thank at the Awards show are JESUS and GOD.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 am

I forgot about the Rory & Feek album and Reba's recent effort.
Though not particularly religious myself, I do enjoy some gospel music, but just couldn't get into Reba's effort.
Over the years, the religiously inclined songs from Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash have sounded to me the most heartfelt, and I still enjoy LeAnn Rimes 1997 release "You Light Up My Life"
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:33 am

Moshe wrote:Progressive liberal, Jewish atheist. Pro-gay, pro-womens rights,pro-trans, pro any resistance to facism. Anti-Trump/Farage/Putin/Bigots

Moshe wrote: Just a note, the bit about my political/ social stance were NOT published here, but my Twitter profile.

You should find this interesting
Drake Jensen & Patrick Masse release single "Go Your Own Way" #Goyourownway - BLOG POST

Moshe wrote:Livewirer, it is a matter of record that Tony Blair was one of the most successful British PM's. He was one of the very few PM's to win 3 general elections in succession, & the only labour PM to even win 2 successive GE's.

He inherited a golden economy in 1997. Neil Hamilton was defeated in the 1997 election after becoming widely associated with sleaze by Labour. The "Cash For Questions" later revealed that there were more Labour MPs than Tories with their noses in the trough. Many Labour MPs disowning Blair especially during his intervention during BREXIT. Not long ago Labour MPs tried to disown Corbyn with the coups and how he is being praised by them. Turning to the hard Left Labour may be dubbed the "Nasty Party" of 2017/18.

Moshe wrote:Oh, the Old Days of Country Music!
Will any country artistes today actually own to be influenced by an actual Country Artist?

Look at most Profiles of the new generation of UK Country (?) acts and they cite mostly Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert. The Shires named Lady Antebellum, conveniently converted (ben Earle) to country music after hearing airbrushed UK non-country version of Need You Now. Crissie Rhodes cites LeAnn Rimes and Faith Hill as some of hers. For Ward Thomas it was The Dixie Chicks and Miranda.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

Well, there you have it! UK Country Stars actually admit listening to country music, unlike their US counterparts! Taylor Swift, proper country music royalty :D
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Moshe wrote:COUNTRY GOSPEL!

When I started buying country lp's (you know, the vinyl sort!) , a country lp usually closed with a gospel song.
Dolly Parton would close an lp with a gospel favourite such as "How Great Thou Art", while many of her secular songs had religious imagery ("Letter to heaven" & many of her other death songs.

Keep us in the loop regarding Juliette Barnes making a gospel album and when it will be released. Perhaps she was too busy in the studio so couldn't come over for the Nashville Cast UK dates. The only female to attend was Scarlett O'Connor (aka Clare Bowen).
You seem to have taking to the recent release and theme of Rhiannon Giddens albums. You may like some of this:
(27 Jan 2017) Kasey Chambers - Dragonfly (2CD-Import/ Essence Group Entertainment. Marketed and distributed by Warner Music Australia Pty Ltd)
20 Tracks Pop, Music
Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragonfly-Kase ... B01MR5TQJE
Dragonfly, Kasey Chambers 11th studio album features two separate sessions in a special two disc release - the first of which was recorded during The Sing Sing Sessions and produced by Australian music legend Paul Kelly, whilst the second disc was recorded at The Foggy Mountain Sessions and produced by Kasey's brother and long-time producer, Nash Chambers.
There were only 3 tracks I liked and bought.
One of the tracks "Golden Rails" on CD1 is described as a loping dustbowl spiritual/train song!
SPOTIFY - https://open.spotify.com/track/3ZHa6myEqONzOIMSZwsg9Z

(7 April 2017) Mick Flavin - Country & Gospel (Rosette Records) 15 Tracks/ Time: 45:40
Described as "a great listen from start to finish...exactly what it says on the tin, 15 tracks, his voice is really strong, this album is very strong"

UK iTunes - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/count ... 1225270193
SPOTIFY the fu*ker here: https://open.spotify.com/album/3ss3Hgbk0QOsJtnonSbpP4

Moshe wrote:Well, there you have it! UK Country Stars actually admit listening to country music, unlike their US counterparts! Taylor Swift, proper country music royalty :D

Go to a Facebook Page, click on About and more often then not influences are named.
I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood named Shania as their influences.
I'm also pretty sure Sam Hunt didn't name Jim Reeves as one of his!
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:33 pm

MILEY CYRUS goes "Back to Country Roots"
As Miley Cyrus rides high with her new single, "MALIBU", she anounces that her forthcomming album will see a return to her "Country Roots".
Miley, after all, is the daughter of Billy "Achy Breaky Heart" Ray Curus. Her Godmother is none other than Dolly Parton and she has a tatoo of Johnny Cash's signature.
She has also "got clean". She hasn't smoked weed in three weeks, is not doing drugs or drinking. She says she hates the fact that country fans feel alienated from her, & wants to win them back. But not at the expense of plain speaking."Dolly Parton is my f--king Godmother!" She peppers her speech with expletives, but Dolly Parton loves her and when she was a kid Johnny Cash gave her his autograph with the legend "I'm in your corner!"
You don't get much more country than that!
"
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Livewirer, I will check out the Kacey Musgraves album. I recall listening to her about a decade back, & did not get on with her voice. But I will give this a listen.
And, yes, Taylor Swift cites Shania & Dolly among her influences and Carrie talks about Dolly as an influence.

Not sure about some of the Bro Country guys, tho.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Moshe wrote:Livewirer, I will check out the Kacey Musgraves album. I recall listening to her about a decade back, & did not get on with her voice. But I will give this a listen.
And, yes, Taylor Swift cites Shania & Dolly among her influences and Carrie talks about Dolly as an influence.

Not sure about some of the Bro Country guys, tho.

Yes many get the names mixed up especially in the baking hot London heat. I know you love Kacey Musgraves.
It's Aussie singer-songwriter / Americana / Pop Kasey Chambers
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am

LOL!
Yes IO love Kacey Musgraves.

I did mean Kacey Chambers. She has a odd voice, I will have to give the new album a listen!
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:24 pm

To celebrate Father's Day, Miley Cyrus posted this pic of herself with her dad back in the day
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby markus67365 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:06 am

Lindsay Ell Performs "Waiting on You" Jimmy Kimmel Live
https://youtu.be/YzNlL2usoYQ
markus67365

Postby Moshe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:41 am

LORETTA CANCELS SUMMER CONCERTS, BUT PLANS AUTUMN FESTIVAL
Country ison LORETTA LYNN, has now cancelled two concerts due to take place this summer, which were to be her first since suffering a stroke in May.
But this does not mean that the 85 year old singer is planning to retire from singing just yet.
She has plans for a Motorcycle and Music Rally at her Hurrican Mills ranch at the end of September/ beginning of October. The festival will include motorcycle rallies and a closing concert featuring Loretta Lynn.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

PreviousNext

Return to Worldwide Country Music