Garth Brooks in Austin

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Garth Brooks in Austin

Postby kev » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:50 am

Garth Brooks seems to have set the feathers flying by pitching up in Austin during the SXSW festival. Saving Country Music had a rant about it: http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/go-ho ... g-at-sxsw/ and famous old venue Threadgills has upset locals by cancelling a gig by Johnny Bush so as to accommodate the pre-dinner crowd for a nearby Brooks concert (see below).

He also turned up at The Broken Spoke during a Billy Mata gig and performed a 30 minute acoustic set. This seems to have delighted/upset those in attendance in equal measure! I'm sure there'll be lots of youtube clips of this floating around soon.

kev

Ultimate Member

Re: Garth Brooks in Austin

Postby Moshe » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 am

I'm in two minds about Garth. He put out quite a few pretty good recordings back in the day, but I find much of his music more craft than art.
I saw him twice in concert. Once at a small London theatre where he put in a very impressive, rocking set with his tight band. This was in the early days of his career.
I saw him at wembley some years later at the height of his success and was less impressed.
Mind you, I thought the medley of country classics he and trisha did at the CMA Awards last year was pretty great.

I was surprised his "comeback album" was not bigger.
But then, he retired before many of today's country fans were born. I also think that his album has only a couple really solid tracks.
Shania is apparently planning a new album, but I think it will meet similar indifference to Garth's. Both will probably be remembered as stars of the Nineties. "So Ninetees"
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Re: Garth Brooks in Austin

Postby Smudger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Great introduction for Garth Brooks at the Broken Spoke:
Smudger

Supreme Member

Return to Worldwide Country Music