wembley

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

wembley

Postby markw » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:06 pm

hello, nice to be back - it's been a while.
found an old video of me playing with Stonewall Jackson at the Wembley festival - think it was about 1986? I'm sure Mr Ahern will know the exact date!
the band were West Coast with the late great Phil Rothwell on drums. I am the callow youth on lead guitar- I was about 24!
that was a great festival and a great weekend - whatever happened? any suggestions - I think CMT killed it off - but I could be wrong.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq69hny3nZE&feature=g-all-u

anyway, enjoy!
markw

Re: wembley

Postby brian ahern » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Welcome back Mark.....don't become a stranger mate. Yes it was about 1986. I was there, bet I had a couple of beers too :lol:

Question for you mate. I recognize Martin. Dermot. You and Phil. Cannot remember the name of the bass player though :oops:

I think you will find that Wembley suffered most because of the tobacco advertising ban on television so Mervyn lost valuable advertising revenue and the national TV carrot that was dangled in front of American Country Music Stars at the time.

By the way mark did you see that over 220,000 turned up at Heaton Park Manchester to see The Stone Roses....wow who said live music's dead :D

brian
brian ahern

Supreme Member

Postby markw » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:35 am

hi Brian, yes, bass player was called Brian - affectionately known as Lord Lucan because of his striking similarity to the slippery aristocrat!
I remember you were there that year. I went with my dad - who was the 'roadie and guitar-tech' for the weekend. I spent a lot of time at the Wild Turkey stall!I'm pretty sure you and I downed a few bottles of Miller and a few shots! I think that was the year Merle Haggard was on - I remember standing next to one of the Proclaimers watching Merle from backstage. I also met DJ Fontana - Elvis' original drummer. There's a great story about Stonewall Jackson from that weekend - also a great story about Dermot the steelie losing his backstage pass - which were like gold dust!
It's a shame that country music can't attract that level of national media these days -it was a great opportunity to see some real legends - and if you were fortunate enough to be in a good band, to get to play with some of them!
markw

Postby brian ahern » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:39 am

Mark its nice to get reminders of some of the past fun and good music of yesteryear. Yes lad we did sup some stuff :lol:

You mentioned Elvis's drummer DJ Fontana. That's a coincidence for sure. I saw his son Dave Fontana playing drums with a four piece out of Nashville called Shane Douglas Band, last weekend and they will also be playing this Saturday at Winninck for the Winchester Gentlemen's Festival. This band is hot and good ol boys to boot :lol:

Please keep us of this forum up to speed with your band Red Moon Joe. I am bound to catch up with you soon mate.

brian.
brian ahern

Supreme Member

Postby markw » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 pm

hey brian, it was 1988! found this from the merle set - duet with Tammy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Ivl_JxSfk
markw

Postby brian ahern » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:15 am

Most of my CM memories tend to roll into one these days mark. All I know is that I was there and bet for sure I had a drink or two :lol:

brian.
brian ahern

Supreme Member

Return to Festivals