Hello, I'm KentuckyHolly

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Hello, I'm KentuckyHolly

Postby KentuckyHolly » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Hello! Just discovered this forum, must have been livin' under a rock for some time as I had no idea ya'll existed. I posted about my band in the Artists forum already but thought I'd introduce myself here as well.

I was born and grew up in Louisville, Kentucky in a God-loving, church-going family so there was a lot of good old country, bluegrass and hymns/gospel/spiritual music in my early years. I sang in church and the school choirs and played the piano. The music was so important to me but as I hit my mid-teens I started to rebel and pull away from both the church and the music I knew so well. I was embarrassed by it. It was great in some ways as I got to learn about and listen to bands that I'd never really heard before except when they'd had a hit single on the radio or whatever. I went to the University of Kentucky and got to meet all sorts of people and it really made me question everything I'd ever believed and thought about the world. I opened my mind and my heart, but had low self confidence and got married to the wrong man way too young, but made some really good friends and started my more independent lifestyle living in Lexington, Kentucky.

I experimented with all sorts of fun stuff in my 20s, spent a lot of time in Tennessee (but not Nashville or Memphis for some reason), but I wanted out (of my marriage) in the last half of that decade. I was not happy. I always had an empty place in my soul, but I just pretended it wasn't there and kept running. I met my English husband Josh over the internet shortly thereafter and ended up moving to this side of the pond. He's been a musician most of his life, and you'd think it would have been music music music from then on, but no. We had some really good times and hard and lonely times and some too with lots of 'growing up' together and self discovered. It's difficult moving to a different country, but I stuck with it and our solid foundation of love and respect endured. A few years of being involved deeply in professional bellydance was really fun and culturally exciting for me, introduced me to some really wonderful Middle Eastern music and lovely people but it also took up a lot of time, money and distracted me from finding my song again and being more creative with music. It wasn't under the last few years of attending local pub sessions, singing and playing with my husband that my old love for the old music started coming back. I've always been enamored with Johnny Cash again (and still am) and feel like my spirit is so like him in a lot of ways, and it was his words that helped to place me back in the direction that I needed to be going. I've stumbled a lot on my way, but I made it, I'm here, and I'm so excited about singing and performing for people as Kentucky Holly, sharing songs and making new friends.

I know a lot of English people would gasp at my openness, but I'm all about honesty and I assume the people on here are good people. It is nice to meet all ya'll, and I'll be seeing you around the forum.
"What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away in the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt"
KentuckyHolly

Re: Hello, I'm KentuckyHolly

Postby lo&m » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Holly, welcome to the forum. Anybody who uses Hurt as a sig line is ok by me.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Re: Hello, I'm KentuckyHolly

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi, Holly. interesting introduction. I look forward to seeing you on the forum. Enjoy!
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Return to Introduce yourself