2016 British Country Music Awards Winners

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: 2016 British Country Music Awards Winners

Postby nickytt » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:30 am

Oh my, this is actually quite funny now. Good work livewire.

I think my favourite bit is the album (that hasn't yet been released) winning an award. The BCMAs gobbledegook answer was " if the record companies are slow to release stuff it will be reflected in the voting".... WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? It should mean "if its not released BCMA members can't listen/vote for it, therefore it can't win.... maybe it can go in next years awards" . What I THINK they are saying is " if the BCMA members haven't had a chance to listen to it because it hasn't been released yet, it's only fair that the committee IMAGINES how they would have voted"!!!

I'd be very surprised if the artists you mentioned had a major label anyway. Most stuff is self released these days (Ward Thomas, Shires, Nathan Carter being the exception). You record it, you pick a date and you release it.

The BCMA have a brand and they have responsibilities to ALL British artists. Please realise these responsibilities or your brand will be forever tarnished. We are only a few muppets on a forum but if someone serious picks up this baton and runs with it, you are in big trouble.
nickytt

Postby kev » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:40 pm

nickytt wrote:We are only a few muppets on a forum but if someone serious picks up this baton and runs with it, you are in big trouble.

As I said earlier in the thread, I doubt anyone gives a monkey's!!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:33 am

nickytt wrote:Oh my, this is actually quite funny now. Good work livewire....
I think my favourite bit is the album (that hasn't yet been released) winning an award.

Yes, The BCMA should adopt the same critieria in all the categories as the CMA in America.
The album nomination should have a set period of time in which it was actually released commerically prior to nomination consideration.
The British Country Music Awards 2016 nominations were announced in mid July so any British act who has an album they would like to be considered should get in contact with one of the BCMA panelists listed above to find out exactly how they should submitt it.
Too much of the awards is "loose" and that acts are made to be a "good fit" for a category and/or have a connection with a panel member

kev wrote: As I said earlier in the thread, I doubt anyone gives a monkey's!!

I guess award nominations don't mean a lot unless you win them.
They will be useful to the winners to build their CV which may help them, sell product, get gig and festival slots including the opportunity to play the C2C Pop up stages
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 pm

livewirer wrote:
kev wrote: As I said earlier in the thread, I doubt anyone gives a monkey's!!

I guess award nominations don't mean a lot unless you win them.
They will be useful to the winners to build their CV which may help them, sell product, get gig and festival slots including the opportunity to play the C2C Pop up stages

For artists, yes. For the average country fan out on the street? I don't think so.
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby nickytt » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:02 pm

^^ Well it must have interested you somewhat kev otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to click on this thread and post replys. I class myself as an 'average country fan' and I like to keep abreast of what's happening on the british scene. There are a few British bands/acts that I've got to know and go and see when they play my way and to be honest they seem less bothered about these rather odd awards than I am. It's just a shug of the shoulders and "that's the way it is". My feeling is that talent (in any field) should be recognized and judged on an even playing field with the right amount of encouragement for new artists. The first part of that criteria is clearly not happening -and yes- I give a monkeys because eventually if an artist doesn't feel recognised or encouraged they just throw in the towel and leave it to the few artists left in the limelight. Ultimately that leads to less bands less artists and less diversity of music to listen to.
nickytt

Postby Moshe » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:16 pm

I simply think that these awards are irrelevant and should be disregarded, as no major artiste with any success in the UK (Ward Thomas, The Shires, Nathan Carter) won an award and most were not even nominated for anything. Very odd.
I would imagine that for acts like the Shires, ward Thomas & Nathan Carter it would simply be a shrug of the shoulder. They are enjoying considerable success, while very few people will have even heard of the BCMA Awards, let alone know who won. So their importance is hardly one of note
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:12 pm

Moshe wrote:I simply think that these awards are irrelevant and should be disregarded, as no major artiste with any success in the UK (Ward Thomas, The Shires, Nathan Carter) won an award and most were not even nominated for anything. Very odd.

The Shires received a Special Achievement Award from the BCMAwards presented to them before I think the Basingstoke show.

Entertainer of the Year went to Jess & The Bandits who grew a national radio & TV presence, were very popular at the festivals and released both a standard & deluxe version of their album and a couple of singles.
The Shires and Ward Thomas on the other hand were in the process of putting together new albums and their first singles were released after the BCMaward nominations. If the BCMAward panel still consider them "country" enough then you'd imagine that MY UNIVERSE and CARTWHEELS will go head to head.

The BCMA had a double unit in a prominent position in front of the stage at Town Square at the C2C (And I still missed seeing it) and also they were at this year’s major UK festivals.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Previous

Return to UK Country music