2015 British Country Music Awards Winners

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

2015 British Country Music Awards Winners

Postby livewire » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:58 am

British Country Music BIGGEST NIGHT

2015 British Country Music Awards (BCWAwards 2015)
The Ascot Lawyers British Country Music Awards were back for 2015, with a fresh brand new look and feel.
Were you there? Did you watch it online? What did you think to the blive stream and presentation :?:
Firstly congratulations to all the winners.
Check out all the WINNERS and nominees, review of Live Broadcast, spotlight features on all the winners and the 2015 BCMAward Hall of Fame Inductees
BLOG POST

WINNERS
Entertainer of the Year: The Shires
Group of the Year: Raintown
Male Vocalist of the Year: Ben Earle (The Shires)
Female Vocalist of the Year: Laura Oakes
Duo of the Year: Ward Thomas
Musician of the Year: Iain Bradshaw
Horizon Act of the Year: Outlander
UK Song of the Year: Luke & Mel (“Something About A Woman”)
UK Album of the Year: The Shires (BRAVE)

Hotdisc Award (Most #1s in the UK & Irish Charts): Frank Jennings - Rose Of El Paso
CM&T Award (Most voted International Video on CM&T): Jess and The Bandits (“My Name Is Trouble”)

The Club Awards
People’s Choice: Solo Act: Donna Wylde
People’s Choice: Dance Act: Richard Palmer
People’s Choice: Act of the Year: Texas Tornados
People’s Choice: Festival of the Year: Quickdraw Festival

Hall of Fame Inductees: Lloyd Coles, Jackie Storrar, Stu Page
Services to Industry
UK Services to Industry - Les Evans
International services to Industry - Bobbi Boyce (CMA)

International Awards
International Song of the Year: Brandy Clark (“Stripes”)
International Album of the Year: Darius Rucker (SOUTHERN STYLE)
International Act of the Year: Striking Matches
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Re: 2015 British Country Music Awards Winners

Postby nickytt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:21 pm

Something that struck me about the winners list was the total lack of Bands (just one for the Horizon Award). Why is that? Don't we have any good ones? Even the Award for Best Group went to a duo (Raintown). That just seems odd, like they wanted to give both Ward Thomas and Raintown an award so they put them in different categories. Maybe next year Ward Thomas will win Best Group?! Come on BCMA what's going on ,bands are the life blood of Country Music.
nickytt

Postby Smudger » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:35 pm

nickytt wrote:Something that struck me about the winners list was the total lack of Bands (just one for the Horizon Award). Why is that? Don't we have any good ones? Even the Award for Best Group went to a duo (Raintown). That just seems odd, like they wanted to give both Ward Thomas and Raintown an award so they put them in different categories. Maybe next year Ward Thomas will win Best Group?! Come on BCMA what's going on ,bands are the life blood of Country Music.

Here's a good one:
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:41 pm

nickytt wrote:Something that struck me about the winners list was the total lack of Bands (just one for the Horizon Award). Why is that? Don't we have any good ones? Even the Award for Best Group went to a duo (Raintown). That just seems odd, like they wanted to give both Ward Thomas and Raintown an award so they put them in different categories. Maybe next year Ward Thomas will win Best Group?! Come on BCMA what's going on ,bands are the life blood of Country Music.

Hi welcome to the board

I think your right in that it was a way of sharing the awards around and somewhat bending the rules.
As the sponsors put up several hundred pounds to sponsor an award my opinion is that if the BCMAwards are to be taken seriously they need to adopt the same criteria as the CMAs or Canadain Awards.
I have been accused of moaning regarding my comments in the blog but one sponsor wholeheartily agrees and they may pull out in 2016 if things don't change.
These were the nominees for Group of the Year.
Dexeter; Raintown; Honey Ryder; Henry Smith Band; Gary Quinn Band.

Before this year Gary Quinn was known as a solo act.
Dexeter and Raintown have 2 named members which is why quite rightly Raintown were nominated for Duo.
IMO You can't be both a Duo and a Group. You are one or the other.
It's like saying that Florida Georgia Line and Lady Antebellum can be considered for Vocal Duo and Group or have the Eric Church Band
So many times in radio interviews The Shires are being referred to as Britain Top Band. Again they are 2 named principal members with 3 other young members playing with them.

A group should be defined as an act, composed of three (3) or more people, all of whom normally perform together and none of whom is known primarily as an individual performing artist. This Award is based on the musical performance of the group as a unit on an album.

Regarding Honey Ryder they were a Folk/Rock band then possibly eyeing an opportunity to play the C2C Festival became a "country" outfit.
Their new album (5 STARS; Country Music People) nominated for a BCMAward still isn't generally available at Amazon or ITunes.
I like what I hear but never really think of them as country.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby nickytt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:51 pm

Thanks for your reply. Agree totally that a group should be considered as a minimum of three people.

It must be galling for a four or five piece band, paying their dues for what must divide into small money, plus lugging huge amounts of gear around the country, to then see a duo win Group of the Year. I'm sure Raintown or the guy in the vid that someone posted (who was good) hire session guys for bigger gigs but sorry, that does not make them a band or a group. And it shouldn't give them a free pass into an extra category at the BCMAs. They might also be up for Best Song or Album or Entertainer so lets be fair.

Surely we should be trying to give as many talented acts as possible a piece of the spotlight or are the BCMAs just trying to push a selected few acts in the hope that one make's it big like The Shires. That is shortsightedness in the extreme IMO because if that plan fails you are left with nothing but fed up or retired acts who felt unappreciated. If there is no other talent out there then fair enough. I'm not totally familiar with the scene but I suspect there is plenty if the BCMAs look a bit harder.
nickytt

Postby PeterJD » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:26 am

do you get the feeling that its always the same people?
Ask forgiveness, not permission.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:42 am

Don't want to get into the whole 'awards' debate (again) but have to reply I am 'the guy in the vid' and have never hired session guys for 'bigger gigs' whatever they are? I have always had my band with me since I started playing at 17 years old, and that wasn't yesterday!

btw, WE have never been nominated for 'Group Of The Year'.

Good thoughts to all

B

http://www.brianhughesmusic.com
LoneShark

Postby kev » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 am

Talking of Ward Thomas, I almost choked on my cornflakes when I read this today: http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/the-a ... thomas-now
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby PeterJD » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:04 pm

LoneShark wrote:Don't want to get into the whole 'awards' debate (again) but have to reply I am 'the guy in the vid' and have never hired session guys for 'bigger gigs' whatever they are? I have always had my band with me since I started playing at 17 years old, and that wasn't yesterday!

btw, WE have never been nominated for 'Group Of The Year'.

Good thoughts to all

B

http://www.brianhughesmusic.com

Overnight success hey Brian.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:09 pm

You got it in one Peter.

I wish only the best for any new or young artistes trying to make their way in this country scene of ours.

I just feel very old at times LoL

Best to you and yours

B

www.brianhughesmusic.com
LoneShark

Postby livewire » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:50 pm

PeterJD wrote:do you get the feeling that its always the same people?

Do you mean getting nominated or winning awards?

nickytt wrote:Thanks for your reply. Agree totally that a group should be considered as a minimum of three people.
I'm sure Raintown or the guy in the vid that someone posted (who was good) hire session guys for bigger gigs but sorry, that does not make them a band or a group. And it shouldn't give them a free pass into an extra category at the BCMAs.

In 2011 the BCMAward winner for UK Album of the Year was Brian Hughes - My Kind of Paradise
Brian's "Damascus Rd" when 2 years old from it's release date (3 Oct 2010) qualified for the 2012 UK Song of the Year and won. He got to meet the legend that is Whispering Bob Harris who was inducted into the Hall of Fame I think in the hope Harris would give British artists more of a helping hand. Bob never did play "Damascus Rd" and it was probably the only opportunity for it to ever get aired.
I think the video share above is 2 for the price of one. Highlighting a former winner and the very worthy forthcoming charity show.

Raintown as a trio have always called on the services of guitarist Stevie Lawrence and as a band format for the likes of C2C, Festivals and their October Tour have used many different musicians including several Parr Street Studio session players credited on their album.
Raintown wrote "Download a great acoustic version of a track we wrote with the brilliant, Brian Hughes, called 'Right Here with Me.' We hope you enjoy it! Download the track (192 kbps MP3) CLICKING HERE<<
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby nickytt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:37 am

I've been living in France for a while so I'm not totally clued up with the current scene but I'm trying to get into it (big country music scene in France by the way). Brian Hughes looks a good act playing original material and good to see he's collected some BCMAs . I'll check out his site. I have a Raintown album actually so I like them but my point is this. They are not a band or a group. If they were they shouldn't have been eligible to win the Duo of the Year in 2013 which they did. You cannot have it both ways. I don't doubt that they have great backing musicians but are they officially part of the group Raintown? Did the whole group collect the award this year? I'm not picking on Raintown because there's others too in the same boat and artists don't make up the categories it's the BCMA.

One thing I noticed when looking back at past winners, any ideas why this year they subtly changed the name of award from BEST BAND to BEST GROUP? To me Best Group sounds like they are trying to broaden the award and move it away from the band format which may not be that strong at the moment. That is a shame if true.
nickytt

Postby livewire » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:30 am

nickytt wrote:I don't doubt that they have great backing musicians but are they officially part of the group Raintown? Did the whole group collect the award this year? I'm not picking on Raintown because there's others too in the same boat and artists don't make up the categories it's the BCMA.

Yes they do have good studio session players. Their producer Justin Johnstone was playing drums for the BCMA House band. Perhaps he couldn't make it from the main stage to the presentation stage at the back on the venue.
Members: Paul Bain & Claire McArthur-Bain - Facebook

No,It was just Paul & Claire who accepted their award.
Although it's myself and Paul that pick this award up tonight for "Group of the Year" we want to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved who help make it all work. You guys ROCK! Posted Claire on Facebook It had the usual and predictable flood of "well deserved" comments from their fans who clearly aren't bothered at the award criteria. In a calender year Raintown the 2014 BCMAward Entertainers who claim "are fast gaining the reputation as one of the hottest Country acts in Europe" and "wowed an expectant crowd at the ‘Brooklyn Bowl’" haven't played very many shows. There was only 4 dates outside their hometown of Glasgow for their UK headlining October tour so not much demand so far. They had some pledge Music gigs to fulfil, opened for Ward Thomas twice and three times for Larkin Poe (as a acoustic trio) and were late additions to the Cornbury Festival bill after another band dropped out. They played the Midwinter Festival, Welshpool Country festival and Fort San Antone too and that seems to be it. Quite a few of those were after the BCMA panel announced this years nominations.

Quite how do you define a Group as opposed to a Band? Do all band members have to play an instrument?
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby nickytt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:26 pm

livewirer wrote:
nickytt wrote:I don't doubt that they have great backing musicians but are they officially part of the group Raintown? Did the whole group collect the award this year? I'm not picking on Raintown because there's others too in the same boat and artists don't make up the categories it's the BCMA.

Yes they do have good studio session players. Their producer Justin Johnstone was playing drums for the BCMA House band. Perhaps he couldn't make it from the main stage to the presentation stage at the back on the venue.
Members: Paul Bain & Claire McArthur-Bain - Facebook

No,It was just Paul & Claire who accepted their award.
[i
]Although it's myself and Paul that pick this award up tonight for "Group of the Year" we want to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved who help make it all work.
You guys ROCK[/i]! Posted Claire on Facebook It had the usual and predictable flood of "well deserved" comments from their fans who clearly aren't bothered at the award criteria. In a calender year Raintown the 2014 BCMAward Entertainers who claim "are fast gaining the reputation as one of the hottest Country acts in Europe" and "wowed an expectant crowd at the ‘Brooklyn Bowl’" haven't played very many shows. There was only 4 dates outside their hometown of Glasgow for their UK headlining October tour so not much demand so far. They had some pledge Music gigs to fulfil, opened for Ward Thomas twice and three times for Larkin Poe (as a acoustic trio) and were late additions to the Cornbury Festival bill after another band dropped out. They played the Midwinter Festival, Welshpool Country festival and Fort San Antone too and that seems to be it. Quite a few of those were after the BCMA panel announced this years nominations.

Quite how do you define a Group as opposed to a Band? Do all band members have to play an instrument?

You see that's why I'm starting to have a problem with this. They win Group of the Year, collect the award alone and then thank "everyone involved". I think a name check is the least the other band members should get! "thanks to Tom on bass, Richard on drums and Harry on guitar.They can't be with us tonight but they would like to thank you too", That sort of thing. My partner was in of bands years ago and it was very much 'all for one and one for all'. They traveled together, played together,eat together and got paid together. If it was a badly paid gig they would try and get free beer and then sleep in the van. The money was always split evenly, and if success arrived they would all benefit equally. That's what being in a band was all about.

Maybe times have changed because I don't see much of that out there. Ward Thomas, The Shires, Raintown - they maybe good buddies with their backing musicians but I expect they are no more than hired hands who get paid a flat rate and then at the end of the evening they all go their separate ways. I am of course assuming and I am prepared to be told I'm wrong. But one thing I do know, you can tell a bunch of muso mates having fun as a band on stage a mile off. They may not all be virtuoso musicians but it really doesn't matter to me. If I want perfection I'll put on a CD.
nickytt

Postby PeterJD » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:30 pm

With regards the shires, it may have changed but there used to be just two of them, they really needed a backing band in my opinion to fill out their sound. Raintown do have a band, as do Dexeter, but again they are considered a duo I think. Ward Thomas have a band.
PeterJD

Supreme Member

Return to UK Country music