British Country Music Awards 2014

This is the place to discuss Country Music that is specific to the UK

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

British Country Music Awards 2014

Postby livewirer on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:16 am
IP:

Info/ Tickets are ON SALE - http://www.bcmawards.co.uk/
Acts who are booked to perform at the awards show include the headliner, Steve Wariner, Kate Armiger, Holly May, Madeline Smith (all from the USA), Raintown, Hicks (Sweden), Mike Ward, Luke & Mel, Darren Busby, Richard Palmer, Lisa Stanley and Henry Smith, along with the house band made up mostly by ex-members of C’est La Vie.

The first Nominees for the 2014 British Country Music Awards have been announced.
It says "there are the usual names in a lot of cases, there are one or two new ones joining the mix. The ultimate decision rests on industry people who will get the chance to vote on the nominees in many of the categories".

Entertainer of the Year:
Henry Smith Band, Next Of Kin, Raintown, Texas Tornados, Nathan Carter

Female Vocalist of the Year:
Nancy Ann Lee, Donna Wylde, Hayley Oliver, Claire Bain (Raintown), Michelle Hughes (Next Of Kin)

Line Dance Act of the Year:
Alan Gregory, Paul Bailey, Texas Tornados, Richard Palmer, Glenn Rogers

Horizon Act of the Year:
The Shires, Sam Hollyman, Sara Crockett, Trey Jackson, Hicksville Band

Duo of the Year:
Raintown, Jonny & Lynnette, Luke & Mel, Thrillbillies, West & Black

Solo Act of the Year:
Nancy Ann Lee, Bob Keeley, Darren Busby, Chris Raddings, Billy Curtis

Male Vocalist of the Year:
Gary Perkins, Richard Palmer, John Taylor, Gary Quinn, Steve Cherelle

Other BCMAwards categories still to be announced are:
International Act of the Year, International Album of the Year, UK Song of the Year, International Song of the Year, Irish Act of the Year, Band of the Year, Radio Act of the Year, Musician of the Year, European Act of the Year, UK Services to Industry, International Services to Industry, Peoples’ Choice which is still being voted on by Country music fans around the UK.

What are your thoughts on the above :?:

If the eligibility period works the same way as the CMA's there seems to be some glaring omission.
Awaiting an answer as to why Ward Thomas have NO nomination for Duo or New Artist.
Where are The Shires & My Darling Clementine in the Duo mix?
Where are a lot of the 2014 C2C Pop Up acts?

Will Nancy Ann Lee win yet again for the third/fourth time for Female or will Hayley Oliver finally win her first.
There are other good singers who also failed to make the cut.

It was very hard to try and find out just who exactly is on the BCMAward commitee.
Had to do detective work last year based on Sponsors and a few hints from former Country Routes mag editor Irene Treadwell.

It seems to be the CMC club scene circuit which drives the nominees and winners.

The last 2 years Irish Republic singer/songwriter Pete Kennedy has won the BRITISH album of the year.
Both albums I've never seen on UK iTunes top 1500 Country albums. Now he has moved to Nashville and his US released CD I Am The One currently ranked Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #603,464 again showing very little interest in his music.
However Kennedy was / is? being managed by one of the key players on the BCMAward committee.

Is it a case of who you know rather than reliable critical acclaim :?:
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Re: British Country Music Awards 2014

Postby camsgrandad on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 pm
IP:

This is a joke right?? Trey Jackson in the running for Horizon Act of the Year? He plays no instrument, has no personality, and can hardly keep in tune! Sometimes I wonder what the hell is going on in British country music.
camsgrandad

Postby lo&m on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:35 pm
IP:

If I was voting my choices would be ...

Entertainer: Henry Smith.
Female vocalist: Michelle Hughes
Line Dance act: Hang about! These aren't the Texas Tornados, are they? Doug Sahm and Freddy Fender died a while back but Augie Meyer and Flaco Jimenez are going back out with Doug's son Sean. If they are - what are they doing hanging round UK line dance clubs? If they are not these guys - It's bad form to use an existing band's name for your band. Maybe a job for Detective Livewire here.
Horizon act: The Shires
Duo: Johnny and Lynette
Solo act: Nancy Ann Lee
Male vocalist: Gary Quinn

There you go. No predictions, just who I'd vote for if I was on the panel based on acts I have seen, either live or online.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby camsgrandad on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:25 pm
IP:

lo&m wrote:If I was voting my choices would be ...

Line Dance act: Hang about! These aren't the Texas Tornados, are they? Doug Sahm and Freddy Fender died a while back but Augie Meyer and Flaco Jimenez are going back out with Doug's son Sean. If they are - what are they doing hanging round UK line dance clubs? If they are not these guys - It's bad form to use an existing band's name for your band. Maybe a job for Detective Livewire here.

There you go. No predictions, just who I'd vote for if I was on the panel based on acts I have seen, either live or online.

This Texas Tornadoes has nothing at all to do with the original band LOM. As you say it is bad form to use an existing band's name.
camsgrandad

Postby Palerider on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 am
IP:

I'm sure The Shires will be over the moon at a nomination for Horizon act of the year, considering they have just played Proms in the Park in front of 20-30,000 people and have a major UK tour later in year!
Palerider

Postby lo&m on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:46 am
IP:

What, you think they've got above their raisings? :)
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby livewirer on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:28 pm
IP:

lo&m wrote:If I was voting my choices would be ...

Thanks for sharing your picks.
I think the BCMAward panelists who represent the CMC scene come at it from a different angle compared to those who follow the current scene. As I don't follow the artists who play the club circuit some of the names are new to me.
I made my feelings known regarding Ward Thomas' omission in the early batch of nominees.
They have now received a couple for Songwriter and Album.

Forum member Brian Hughes gets a nod for Song Writer of the Year. Have I missed any new music from you Brian :?:

There is a Album of the Year and Radio Act nominations for young Sam Hollyman who had a British Hotdisc No1 this year but whose music just doesn't seem to sell.
European Act of the Year include Hicks, Crash ‘n’ Recovery and Pete Kennedy. All like Sam are promoted by Django Promotions whose CEO is a major player on the BCMAward panel.
Raintown are a named Duo according to their Facebook yet also get Band of the Year nomination despite the fact they draft in musicians (artists in their own right) to play band formats.

What on earth is the remit for "Radio Act of the Year" who knows? 5 country/pop acts who were A/B BBC Radio 2 playlisted in 2014 DO NOT appear.

Lee Williams on CMR Nashville said there are just a few tickets left for the Award event or is it a ploy to snap up the remaining available tix.
There are 21 Awards to be announced on the night.

Here are the final batch of Nominations for the "UK Country Music's Biggest Night"?

International Act of the Year:
Chris Young, Dierks Bentley, Zac Brown Band, Brad Paisley, Eric Church

International Album of the Year:
WHEEL HOUSE Brad Paisley, OUTSIDERS Eric Church, SAME TRAILER DIFFERENT PARK Kacey Musgraves,
AM Chris Young, RISER Dierks Bentley

UK Song of the Year:
Hannah Jane Lewis – “17 Again”
Ward Thomas - “Footnotes” (Happy Ending)
Luke & Mel – “Don’t Cry Because It’s Over”
The Shires – “Nashville Grey Skies”
Gary Quinn – “The Power Of Me And You” (Gary Quinn & David C Banning)

Band of the Year:
John Taylor Band, Henry Smith Band, Diablos, Gary Quinn Band, Raintown

Irish Act of the Year:
Nathan Carter, Derek Ryan, Lisa Stanley, Robert Mizzell, Daniel O’Donnell

Radio Act of the Year:
Sam Hollyman, Hicksville Band, Alan West, Jess Roberts, Gary Quinn

UK Album of the Year:
Gary Quinn - GARY QUINN, Emma Jane - WORKHORSE, Ward Thomas - FROM WHERE WE STAND
Sam Hollyman - THE RED REEL SESSIONS, Sara Crockett - BETTER BE GONE

Musician of the Year:
John Pettifer, Lee Guyer, John Permenter, Jon J Paul, Ian Bradshaw

International Song of the Year:
“Mona Lisa” Brad Paisley, “Cruise” Florida Georgia Line, “Follow Your Arrow” Kacey Musgraves
“I Hold On”Dierks Bentley, “Sweet Annie” Zac Brown Band

European Act of the Year:
Hicks, Jill Johnson, Rodrigo Haddad, Crash ‘n’ Recovery, Pete Kennedy

Song Writer of the Year: Shires, Ward Thomas, Brian Hughes, Gary Quinn, Steve Black

Festival Event of the Year:
Quickdraw, Kelso, Northern Nashville (Caithness), Rock Ridge, Copper Kettle

Hall of Fame inductees: Stu Stevens, Vic Woodhouse, Alf Roberts
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, 2016 Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewirer
Supreme Member

Postby Moshe on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:06 am
IP:

The Shires have only two singles out, so Horizon Award is about right.
Ward Thomas nominated for Album- should have got a couple of other noms. I've never heard of most of the other folks nominated. No nomination for hank Wangford? His current track, "Save Me The waltz" is fab.

My reaction to the name Texas Tornados was the same as other folks here. The Texas Tornados were of course that outfit with Flaco & the other guys. It is down right cheeky for some Brit act to just appropriate the name! Never heard this British group, but using another band's name is a mark against them
Moshe
Ultimate Member

Postby kev on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:57 am
IP:

Moshe wrote:
My reaction to the name Texas Tornados was the same as other folks here. The Texas Tornados were of course that outfit with Flaco & the other guys. It is down right cheeky for some Brit act to just appropriate the name! Never heard this British group, but using another band's name is a mark against them

I bet it's more likely that these guys have never heard of the original Texas Tornadoes and don't realise the names clash.
kev
Ultimate Member

Postby Smudger on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:31 pm
IP:

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:

I bet it's more likely that these guys have never heard of the original Texas Tornadoes and don't realise the names clash.

Yeah, that's probably right. Up here there's a country band who until recently were called Broken Wing; however they have had to change their name due to pressure from an American rock band of the same name.
Smudger
Supreme Member

Postby kev on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:03 pm
IP:

The Winners Are:

Entertainer of the Year: Raintown

Female Vocalist of the Year: Claire McArthur Bain (Raintown)

International Act of the Year: Chris Young

International Album of the Year: The Outsiders - Eric Church

Male Vocalist of the Year: Richard Palmer

UK Services to Industry:
Lee Williams

UK Song of the Year:
Gary Quinn - The Power Of Me And You (Gary Quinn & David C Banning)

Line Dance Act of the Year: Richard Palmer

Horizon Act of the Year: The Shires

Duo of the Year: Luke & Mel

Band of the Year: John Taylor Band

Irish Act of the Year: Nathan Carter

Radio Act of the Year: Sam Hollyman

UK Album of the Year: Ward Thomas - From Where We Stand

Musician of the Year: Lee Guyer

International Song of the Year: Mona lisa - Brad Paisley

Solo Act of the Year: Darren Busby

European Act of the Year: Jill Johnson

Song Writer of the Year: Gary Quinn

Festival Event of the Year: Northern Nashville (Caithness)

International Services to Industry: Jeff Walker

People’s Choice: Henry Smith Band

Hall of Fame inductees: Stu Stevens, Vic Woodhouse, Alf Roberts

Hotdisc - UK Most successful track of the year: The Hand That Rocked The Cradle - Hayley Oliver Band
kev
Ultimate Member

Return to UK Country music