Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Postby livewire » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Last week ABINGER ROAD appeared at #1419 on the UK Country Album chart then disappeared.

If a fan wanted to buy a physical copy can they do it instantly?
If you contacted the band via info @thehayleyoliverband.co.uk what happens next?
There are no albums on the online store - http://www.mjmusicshop.co.uk/

The single The Good Ole Days was still at #2 British & Irish Hotdisc. Can they overall Fergal Flaherty tomorrow?
I noticed a post on C2C Facebook last week by MapleStar Music & Media regarding the album, are they the new band promoters?

UK band Diablos and Atlanta having their albums promoted on CMR Nashville and UkCountryRadio.com
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:05 pm

On today's Hotdisc Chart The Hayley Oliver Band’s “Good Old Days” fell 2 places 8-10 but Fergal Flaherty’s “I Won’t Let You Down” fared worse with a 7-12 slide. This results in Hayley Oliver Band being declared “without doubt the most successful British or Irish act ever in Hotdisc chart history”, gaining their ninth No.1 single on the British & Irish Chart.

Why therefore are the band not charting on UK iTunes Top 1500 Country Albums or Singles?
This makes no sense?

Contrast to Nathan Carter who has an album of cover songs.
He charts at #23 with his single "Wagon Wheel" and at #41 with his album "Wagon Wheel"

Possible solution: For every purchase of The Hayley Oliver Band's ABINGER ROAD album they will send out a free packet of Wagon Wheels (c/o Tesco)

Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:06 pm

It looks like its the end of the HOTDISC road for the Hayley Oliver Band in 2013.
The last single was #1 for just one week.

Their Lee Williams stable mate Pete Kennedy with “Love Like That" has the British & Irish #1.

The Hayley Oliver Band’s “Good Old Days” fell 11 places 10-21 and 1-5 on the Hotdisc British & Irish Chart.
I'm sure millions (like with X Factor) heard the Hotdisc Top 30 rundown, I did "Way up high in a coconut tree", and then I woke up.

With 14 weeks at #1 in 2013 alone The Hayley Oliver Band are officially the most successful British or Irish act ever in Hotdisc chart history.
Their new album, released in JULY, "Abinger Grove" is still nowhere on the Top 1500 UK Country Album on iTunes
On Amazon Bestsellers it is ranked #15,181 in MP3 Albums

The moral of the story has to be there is NO MONEY in SELLING music anyone, especially if you're a Brit Country artist.
It's all about being live with the means to sell merch that way.
If you can stream albums for FREE at 160kbps on SPOTIFY or 320kbps unlimited plays on subscription why bother buying it
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby gunner25 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Indeed, it has taken a lot of money and time to produce this album, and i couldn't have put it better myself.
We will be releasing one more track from the album, and then i think it will be it for the band and hot disc, a complete waste of time and money i'm afraid.
Nigel
gunner25

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:54 pm

livewirer wrote:If you can stream albums for FREE at 160kbps on SPOTIFY or 320kbps unlimited plays on subscription why bother buying it

You are not exactly helping sales by publishing this.
Waylon Jennings.
" Don't take credit for what's written in the stars,
....... and don't apologise for who you are "
Space Cowboy

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Space Cowboy wrote:
livewirer wrote:If you can stream albums for FREE at 160kbps on SPOTIFY or 320kbps unlimited plays on subscription why bother buying it

You are not exactly helping sales by publishing this.

Listen in FULL then BUY?
Isn't that what Spotify is supposed to do?
The artists will have paid for its inclusion if they went through CD BABY.

The BBC are entering the Spotify type market too with their new stream service linking to it and YouTube
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 pm

I often buy albums after hearing them on Spotify, or hearing tracks on you tube or elsewhere.
After listening to willies new duets album I am seriously considering purchasing it. Spotify, YouTube & so forth are good marketing tools.
As to the Haley Oliver band, I downloaded the single "These Are The Good Old Days" because I think it is exceptionally good.
Even if sales of the album does not bring in money, if it gets airplay, it helps bring in the punters to live gigs. If Haley Oliver was anywhere in my area, I would certainly consider going to see her- having heard her music on radio & outlets such as Spotify. Had I not heard her discs, the name would mean nothing to me.
So, it goes hand in hand.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby kev » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Moshe wrote:I often buy albums after hearing them on Spotify, or hearing tracks on you tube or elsewhere.
After listening to willies new duets album I am seriously considering purchasing it. Spotify, YouTube & so forth are good marketing tools.

Yeah, I agree with you! As for the Willie Nelson release, I bought it yesterday and think it's a bit patchy. Mostly good but a few tracks I don't much care for. But the version of "Always On My Mind" with Carrie Underwood is particularly shocking - sounds like she's singing a different song in parts!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:49 pm

kev wrote:
Moshe wrote:I often buy albums after hearing them on Spotify, or hearing tracks on you tube or elsewhere.

Yeah, I agree with you! As for the Willie Nelson release, I bought it yesterday and think it's a bit patchy. Mostly good but a few tracks I don't much care for. But the version of "Always On My Mind" with Carrie Underwood is particularly shocking - sounds like she's singing a different song in parts!

I havn't listened all the way through yet. I'll have to check that out.
I tend to like duet albums. I liked the two Tony Bennett duet albums. The Tony Bennet one was a bit of a revelation to me- my favourite track on there is the duet with Lady Gaga, "The Lady Is A Tramp". Lady Gaga is someone I would never listen to, the wearing meat & silly hats make me sing she is just gimmicky, but on that song she really songs. A great version.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:00 pm

What do you reckon on the duet with Miranda Lambert? I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. I never think of Miranda as a particularly inspired vocalist, but I think the result on this track is very pleasing. A good performance from both of them.
I thought the Carrie duet was OK, but I got a bit bored during it. No sparks fly. The thing most pleasing on that track was Willie's guitar playing.
I'm a sucker for Loretta Lynn's voice. I think "Somewhere Between" is quite lovely
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 pm

As to the Haley Oliver band, I downloaded the single "These Are The Good Old Days" because I think it is exceptionally good.
Even if sales of the album does not bring in money, if it gets airplay, it helps bring in the punters to live gigs.....
Had I not heard her discs, the name would mean nothing to me.So, it goes hand in hand.

I don't think the Hayley Oliver Band play that many gigs a year?
They did play some of the festivals. Sometimes hear of Norfolk shows like The Rubber Duck or some solo Hayley gigs which are probably with backing tracks.
Would certainly help to tour an album.

I think it was a post on here years ago that led you to pick up their last album.
It's pretty pathetic that the 2 magazines you subscribe to Country Music People and Maverick have not done a proper feature on them.
When Alan Cackett was a co-presenter on BBC Radio Kent (The county Hayley resides) he did not play their music despite requests knowing he was in procession of a couple of albums but seemed to mislay them or had sold them on to Maverick subscribers?
When he saw them at the British Country Music Awards a few years back I think he said something like "He wondered what all the fuss was about" regarding the band despite praises they received elsewhere.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Yes, I have never seen any of their gigs in my vicinity listed. A pity.
I am not sure why the UK country media tend Maybe because many of their tracks are covers? But I think they are good quality. I have not listened to the album, but I really like the single "The Good Old Days". Quality stuff.
I have heard Hayley Oliver played on UK Country Radio or CMR Nashville (probably on the Hot Disc show), but I don't believe I have ever heard Jaywalkers on radio. I only bought their album after seeing a review in CMP.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby gunner25 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi Moshe,

The new album has 14 tracks and only 2 of them are covers, the other 12 are all originals :0)
Nigel
gunner25

Postby Moshe » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Gunner
That is good. I am impressed with what I've heard of it & I love the single.
I hope that Haley starts to get the recognition that she deserves. I saw on Facebook she was on radio Kent today. I just missed it. I will listen again during the week.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:12 am

I'm just listening to Dave Cash on BBC Kent on listen again. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01j9s8w
The Hayley Oliver Band are very impressive here. Great vocals, good instrumentation, excellent songs. The best of luck to them. They need more exposure like this. Here they are better than several American acts. This is a big jump for them from the last album of theirs I bought a few years ago. Great stuff.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

PreviousNext

Return to UK Country music