Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Postby livewire » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:30 am

gunner25 wrote:Hi Livewirer,

Yes you are correct about Hotdisc, i must admit that we have had no success from this at all. This is the bands 8 release,(so far the other 7 have all gone to number one).............I always get the feedback charts about 6 weeks after the single has charted, and it's very interesting to read the remarks of the DJ's, 99.9% are very positive but there is always one very bad score and always from the same DJ. A man called Lawrence John. Now if i'm not mistaken is this the same guy that also releases tracks into hotdisc under the name The Lawrence John Project? Well some of tyhe comment from him about all seven of the past releases have bordered on rude. .....I would never bad mouth another artist, especially on a sheet that 1000 DJ's get and see, and he seems to be the only one that has negative things to say about the band or Hayley, have we found ourselves an enemy, i think we have...... Travelling Rose seem to have the time to push their album to all and sundry, i don't think we would do it the way that they do it, but it's whatever works for you i suppose. I'm not knocking them, but unless we employ a person to promote us or the album we have to rely on trying to put as much information on the sites that we are able to post to......
The UK public just don't seem to be interested and seem to prefer reworked or straight copies of old american tunes, do we stand a chance, well i don't think we do unless someone puts money into a TV or radio show for original artists and get it out there to the public who listen. It seem that The Phil Mack Show is the only program that broadcasts to the Uk,

Hi Nigel
Thanks for taking the time to reply with such detail.
Did the Hayley Oliver Band play the Rubber Duck Festival? These sort of events would be best for taking orders or selling product if a CD were available.
Thanks for confirming about the third single. You say you have had "no success" with Hotdisc. You have had success on the chart with 7 #1's congrats. I therefore took it that is why you continue to use it with what will be your 8th Hotdisc single.
You mention your Hotdisc feedback sheet. ONLY the artistes would be privy to such information with the feedback. They are not circulated to all the DJ's, industry (?) folks, I'm very surprised you mention 1,000 as the number who report and rate the Hotdisc tracks.

On the old Hotdisc site it used to say : Hotdisc is one of the most successful media groups in Europe providing content for broadcasters throughout Europe.
Hotdisc is the leading promotional company for country music in Europe via its Rush Released imprint
renowned Hotdisc and distributed to over 800 DJs, Country Music industry professionals

Now its is shortened to
Hotdisc is one of the most successful media groups in Europe providing content for broadcasters throughout Europe.
Hotdisc is the leading promotional company for country music in Europe via its Rush Released imprint.

You are in a better place than anyone to judge the effectiveness of Hotdisc and to see exactly which radio station DJ's receive it, how big these radio shows are IF THEY EXIST.
A few years ago after another UK artist had 2 weeks at No.1 on the British & Irish Chart I found out that only 2 DJ's said they would the track and they actually didn't. This made me research Hotdisc and as you can appreciate from an outsider this is even harder to do and took months to do it. Some artists listed their positive Hotdisc feedback on Myspace, Reverbnation and even CD Baby.
I found numerous errors and reported my findings in good faith. I have just looked at the current listing of Hotdisc Radio stations on the website and it still has errors. There are radio shows which closed down years ago and timings are wrong. Bob Harris is listed on Thursday schedule, he has NEVER played from Hotdisc in 13 years and requests I have made for tracks have been ignored. If you were to look a lot of radio shows are just internet podcast
If a DJ does play from Hotdisc they have 20 tracks to pick from and some like my local station receive promo discs from the likes of Hillcrest and CDX.

Lawrence John - Interesting this, I just Googled he is on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/lawrence.john.56
Self-employed at deejay, tv presenter, songwriter, lives in Belfast. It is the same guy with Lawrence John Project.
He has his own TV show: Tuesday 09:00 pm The Lawrence John Show 9pm on SKY 191 or the repeat at 10pm on SKY193.

You mention Phil Mack Show - I do record it and fast forward through it. It started off quite well now a lot of videos repeat and basically it now heavily promotes the Phil Mack Show events in the UK and Ireland so you see videos from Jimmy Buckley, Raymond Froggatt, Ben & Carmen Steneker etc over and other. Some of the videos go back to the late 90's early 2000's that were shown on VH1 and picture quality of others transferred from the original DVD is degraded. Did your "Heartless" video on Phil Mack a few backs generate any interest?

Current shows on Showcase TV (SKY and Freesat):
The Lawrence John Show, Hot Country, Ireland Music West, The Phil Mack Country Show, Top Country ,
Classic Country & Irish, Country Is, Kilkenny Country and Inside Music Row.

I watched Hot Country once and once was enough. Inside Music Row (which Hayley Oliver has appeared on) is pretty good.
Again audience numbers unknown NO transparency as is much the case with the Brit Country scene with little regulation, small-time profile and organisations and radio that follow the Nashville shop window covering the bland commercial stuff.

Travellin Rose - They don't look to be any more successful than you are selling their product using the same iTunes Top 1500 Country as a guide to what the public actually buy. Their album didn't come out till 6 months after their BCMAward album nomination.

Reworks and covers - Personally I'm not interested in them and I know some DJ's feel the same.
Most of the upcoming UK artists have their own songs some professionally recorded in Nashville and I wish them success.
Some artists have already decided the UK market is too small so have headed to America where they feel their biggest audience is.
Last edited by livewire on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby LoneShark » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:48 am

Mornin' guys

Without going over old ground again, I will repeat succinctly, the UK has no interest in homegrown original material. Those that enjoy it and support it are in the vast overwhelming MINORITY.

I genuinely feel for you, and those trying their best to make an impact Nigel, and of course wish you every success.

B
LoneShark

Postby livewire » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 am

According to 2Country.net Country Music is taking the UK by storm - http://www.2country.net/country-music-t ... -by-storm/
They are probably cheering on the Florida Georgia Line remix with rapper Nelly.
Will Mike Ward be the next thing and will McKay get a call from C2C to play the actual O2 stage.

I don't see that this so called surge is having that many ripples for our own home grown artistes.

Things take time but I believe we’re finally on the right path for here in the UK. Still got a lot to do BUT, we’re currently in the best commercial position we’ve ever been in....It’s a VERY exciting time right now for us as a UK based Country band because of the upsurge. The UK is finally being taken more seriously in the country music industry so there are now far more opportunities for a band like us than there ever has been before.
Music is universal and country music is the biggest selling genre in the world. I believe a UK country band can make it in the country music industry
” - Tim McKay from McKay

Wishful thinkin' ?
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Smudger » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:26 pm

LoneShark wrote:the UK has no interest in homegrown original material[/b][/i]. Those that enjoy it and support it are in the vast overwhelming MINORITY.

I totally agree Brian, but as for myself, I only like homegrown original material if it's "good" - I don't feel obliged to support it if I just don't like it! I would much rather go to a CMC or festival and listen to a British band play a good cover version than listen to a boring self written song. There are exceptions of course, and your good self tops the list, but unfortunately these exceptions are few and far between. I appreciate that there may be lots of homegrown songs out there that are probably well written and crafted, but if I don't like the tune I ain't going to buy the CD, no matter who wrote it.
Smudger

Supreme Member

Postby kev » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Nicely put Smudger!
kev

Ultimate Member

Postby LoneShark » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Absolutely Smudger

Wasn't suggesting for a minute that ANY original material betters covers, it is the acid test for all songwriters that their work stands up to recognised recordings.

Trying to get the general public to firstly listen, then like/purchase your songs is a tough road, and in this Great Britain of ours, country is not a genre where originality is encouraged, so the quality has to be there, which in my opinion is in relation to HOB, before the promo circus begins.

I too have listened to a band play original material not to my liking, yet loved the musicianship and performance of a covers band that followed.

Such is life in world of music.

Hope you and your family are well.

B
LoneShark

Postby Moshe » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:03 pm

There is a demand for a brand of contemporary American Country in the UK. This would be the type of artistes the C2C feature.
There may be some crossover of C2C fans who also like more traditional-type country, but probably not the majority, and certainly I don't see them being eager to hear British Country artistes.
I saw Carrie Underwood at the RAH, & most were not what one stereotypically think of as "country fans". Seeing these guys made me feel quite old. The majority probably in their twenties & thirties, fairly metropolitan types. Not necessarily "country fans" as such.

As for British Country- if I come across a good artiste I like, I will listen to them. Jaywalkers are a very good British bluegrass/ acoustic outfit. I also liked the album from My Darling Clementine. Much of the British stuff I hear on UK Country Radio I am not too excited by, but some is OK.
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor! 8)
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby lo&m » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:44 pm

LoneShark wrote:Those that enjoy it and support it are in the vast overwhelming MINORITY.

I can vouch for that. Sad but true.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby livewire » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:19 am

gunner25 wrote: Yes you are correct about Hotdisc, i must admit that we have had no success from this at all.......... I always get the feedback charts about 6 weeks after the single has charted, and it's very interesting to read the remarks of the DJ's, 99.9% are very positive but there is always one very bad score and always from the same DJ. A man called Lawrence John. Now if i'm not mistaken is this the same guy that also releases tracks into hotdisc under the name The Lawrence John Project?

I recorded and watched the Lawrence John Country show on Showcase TV.
He splices into his show some features from the Inside Music Row show and showed some videos that have appeared on Phil Mack (probably doing the rounds) but also a few good videos I had not seen before.

The show carried an advert for Hotdisc
Lawrence John made a point of saying that Hotdisc goes out to OVER 800'DJ's so that 800 DJ's can't be wrong.
Strange why so few of those radio DJ's shows are listed on the Hotdisc site, I'll leave it at that.

Maybe this the show that can make The Hayley Oliver Band a household name

livewire

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm sure forum members will have finally calmed down after the excitement of one of the closest battles for the Hotdisc #1 spot yesterday.

As the new September Hotdisc hits the 800 (?) DJ doormats, here is a an interesting development.
The Hayley Oliver Band have a premier cut with all the bells and whistles with their track "Good Old Days".
They will go head to head with Track 23 "We're On Our Way To Heaven" from The Lawrence John Project.

Joining the Hayley Oliver Band from the Lee Williams stable will be Madeline Smith who is described on CMR Nashville ad as the "new sensation" from America.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:34 am

So Lee Williams has played the Hayley Oliver Band's new single "Good Old Days" saying "the unmistakable voice of Hayley Oliver" and its "sure its going to be a big hit"

Will this be the single to generate some album sales?
The nation will be patiently waiting with excitement to see if they will score their 3rd successive British & Irish Hotdisc No.1.
Something that even Gone Country have achieved in July with a No.1 despite a ZERO RATED album in Country Music People
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby gunner25 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi Livewirer,

I think that if you check we have had 8 number ones on the trot, everything that we have released so far including one solo track from Hayley has ended up in the UK No1 slot. Personally i don't think this one will, even though i released this track knowing that there are stronger tracks on the Album, which maybe a mistake, but as you have said, Hotdisc seems to mean nothing or effect album sales etc. We are in the meantime getting the Album and the bands profile raised by employing someone in the know to promote us, lets see if this works, and especially with C2C in mind
Nigel
gunner25

Postby livewire » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 pm

gunner25 wrote: Hotdisc seems to mean nothing or effect album sales etc. We are in the meantime getting the Album and the bands profile raised by employing someone in the know to promote us, lets see if this works, and especially with C2C in mind

Yes Hotdisc British & Irish #1's don't mean a lot even though 800 DJ's made their votes.
The Stu Edwards & Gone Country album (whose song "My Kind Of Music" was a recent #1) got torn apart by Country Music People editor Duncan Warwick with a ZERO rating and he said on Facebook we would have given it minus marks if he could. It does sound awful.

Last week was unlucky 13 for the Hayley Oliver Band with a No.13 debut and #3 on the British Chart.
This week its up to No.9 and #2 on the British Chart.
The Lawrence John Project debuted at No.4 and is now at No.2 on the Top 40!

Despite an apparent good review for ABINGER GROVE in Cross Country magazine (which I haven't seen) and 2 more weeks Hotdisc exposure it still isn't generating any iTunes sales to log a position on the Top 1500 Country charts.
I hope your new promotions person can start making things happen where Europe's #1 Country Radio station (CMR Nashville) and Europe's #1 Promotional Disc seems to not to be doing the trick.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Palerider » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi, firstly apologies for going slightly off track here but reading the comments from Nigel regarding promoting the album, and the band in general, got me a bit frustrated. We have tried to book the band for our festival next year and seem to have had no interest from the band at all. I have messaged Nigel via this forum with no response. We left messages with the telephone contacts on the website with no response for over a week. we rang again and spoke to someone who said would check with other band members, no one got back to us. We chased again and spoke to someone again who advised Hayley missed last rehearsal so they had been able to check anything yet (phones do exist), and we finally tried one more time and left a message, still with no response. Rock Ridge is one of the major country festivals within the UK with people travelling from all over the country. The Hayley Oliver Band have never played in the North of England so would open up a large new audienc, and we were very keen to book the band. It's just frustrating when seeing the band promoting themselves but then making it so difficult to obtain a booking. Apologies again, rant over!!

Kevin
Palerider

Postby gunner25 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:02 am

Hi Mike,

It was me that a lovely lady rand and asked me about the gig in County Durham. Because we all work and always seem to be busy we are not in contact with all the band members all of the time, that's not an excuse thats fact i'm afraid. I will say this is purely my fault in not coming back to her on two fronts, firstly the lady who rang never left a return number for me to call her back and never told me what the event was called, so i couldn't google it to find a number, and secondly i forgot to mention to it to Hayley when we last met up. I have now spoken to Hayley an we have just one small problem and thats the distance that we have to travel. Durham is nearly in Scotland and we are all based in South Kent, and as mentioned before we all work so it can be a logistical nightmare trying to organise it all. Also by the time that we have paid for the transport and the accommodation gig's this far away are not finically viable all the time. We are not like alot of the bands on the circuit that do this for a living, we put all of our time and money into producing high quality products like the cd that has just been produced. We never go down the cheap route when we produce a product such as this, as we aim for quality.
Mike if you would like to give me a call on 077342034139 then we can discuss the gig, and all i can do is apologise about my lack of response, and it is purely down to me that i have not replied, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day, so again i'm sorry.
And by the way we have played in the North before, The Lake District, Nottingham, and a few others that i can't remember, the gig's that we can't seem to get are any in Kent or South East England.
Thanks
Nigel
gunner25

PreviousNext

Return to UK Country music