Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Moderators: lo&m, Moshe

Re: Hayley Oliver Band - ABINGER GROVE

Postby lo&m » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:58 pm

livewirer wrote:Proper Records were a terrific label. They backed and supported some great touring acts. Names like Eve Selis and Gretchen Peters had some superb albums distributed by them which appeared in the shops. Also at gigs their free magazine was there for anyone to pick up. They used to regularly advertise in the UK country magazines. The thing is nowadays as far as my town is concerned all the Independent Record shopss have gone along with excellent retailers such as MVC. All I have is an HMV with a country section (unnamed) just 3ft wide with a very limited selection and several copies of the same disc one behind the other, often the Humphead Records ones.

Proper Records free magazine is called Propergander and it comes out about once a quarter. Distributed to the record shops still remaining. On which note, one of the directors of Proper records, Graham Jones wrote a book called Last Shop Standing. It's partly an account of his life in record retailing and partly a tour round the remaining independant record shops. One of which, Record Revivals of Scarborough is still standing today. Just as well as we lost HMV last year. If you want to know how the national charts were compiled (and manipulated) it's well worth a read.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby livewire » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:16 am

That's quite something that Record Revivals in Scarborough is still going. Been in it a few times.
Andy's Records was a great one to in the North England but that folded.
Proper haven't put out a digital magazine since the start of the year, only seen press releases from them.

I haven't followed the HMV situation in 2013 since they went into administration in January.
The one in my town escaped , I've no idea if other stores closed down.

The Hayley Oliver Band got great and deserved comments on the BBC for their new Hotdisc single last weekend and still it hasn't registered on iTunes UK Top 1500, and it has gone backwards on Amazon UK (#71,789 in MP3 Albums), its quite baffling.
Might of missed it but could not see a review in latest Country Music People.
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby lo&m » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:07 pm

A word about Record Store Day. It's an initiative organised by independent retailers on behalf of independent retailers. Been going a few years now. They have special items on sale, limited editions released for the day, live performances in-store and such like. Probably not so much for traditional country fans but worth looking out for if you're more americana or Alt-country. The next RSD is 19:04:14, the third Saturday in April. Check with your local store to see if they're participating.
Country is a state of mind, not a state of America.
lo&m

Postby livewire » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:39 pm

livewirer wrote:Stu Edwards Gone Country.... He admits to spending just £500 on the album compared to £16,000 which we were told on this forum went into the Hayley Oliver Band one.

gunner25 wrote:Hi Guys, I think you will find that it wasn't that much for the Album(Abinger Grove), it was about half of that, plus extra's , cd production etc
Nigel

gunner25 wrote:So far the last Album has cost upwards of 18k without any promotion costs yet, but we have a product that can stand up along side any professional recorded material, and the comments from our peers make it worthwhile.
thanks Guys Nigel

Hi Nigel, A bit of confusion between the 2 Forum threads concerning the cost of the ABINGER GROVE album.

Congrats on the band's 10th #1 on the Hotdisc British & Irish Chart.
The album has sneaked onto the UK iTunes and now has its first review on Amazon (5 Stars) although it was a one line first ever review comment
Please Visit - http://countryroutesnews.blogspot.com - Country Music News, UK Tours Dates, Album Releases, Press Releases, Billboard Chart News
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby livewire » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 pm

gunner25 wrote:Indeed, it has taken a lot of money and time to produce this album, and i couldn't have put it better myself.
We will be releasing one more track from the album, and then i think it will be it for the band and Hotdisc, a complete waste of time and money i'm afraid Nigel

Well I am baffled this week to see the Hayley Oliver Band now going with a 5th HOTDISC single from the ABINGER GROVE album which made its debut today at #8 on the Hotdisc Top 40.
Last year the band had 23 weeks at #1 on the Hotdisc British & Irish Chart.
Their great album was not a winner at the BCMAwards it went to an Ulster man for a second year!
They have had 4 and 5 Star reviews in CrXoss Country, Country Music People and Maverick and appeared live on Dave Cash BBC Kent.

10 months on from its release and ABINGER GROVE has not made the top 1000 on UK iTunes Country Album Chart and a lot of that time not even on the Top 1500 list with terrible rankings on Amazon (with a few planted fan reviews). Even a major popular music review website this week said that reviews do not sell albums and its true!
The Hayley Oliver Band Facebook has been very quiet since November and main website has remained static.

Why another single? Is it just an expensive hobby where critical acclaim and chart success means more than the music selling.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Harley Dave » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:36 am

Wow - Bringing in the New Year (2017), with the lovely Hayley quaffing a Bacardi & Coke at my side, and googling an old song (For A While) which brought me to this thread.

Really interesting reading, with some very astute observations made along the way. I sense Nigel's frustrations with the lack of real success for Abinger Grove, which is an excellent album, and I'm sure he's very proud of the part he played in bringing it to life. Sadly, the HOB split due to differing views of the best way forward and, reading the posts here, one wonders if there WAS a best way forward for a six piece band playing original country music in the UK? Sad - I really think they deserved better. I saw them at Butlins, and was absolutely blown away! They had a groove which isn't often found this side of the Atlantic.

Now? Hayley hasn't abandoned the UK "CMC" scene, but her new five piece band has similar logistic issues with the fees available, so we tend to play more festivals and weekenders than clubs, plus we have our sights set on Europe, especially after the rave reception at Truckstop Festival in Denmark a few months back. What is different now is that we regularly scale down and perform more roots and acoustic shows, where we can. Hayley and I really love the stripped down approach and the "space" that these shows afford us. If I were writing a review, I'd probably say that Hayley had discovered "Americana" and has obviously taken it to her heart, especially after the two of us did a few acoustic spots in Texas, earlier this year - actually "last year", now!! She wowed them, and we've been asked back to a few venues, there. We'll see, as regards that.

The website hasn't been updated for a while, but we are contemplating a brand new one for 2017, that will better reflect the musical diversity that Hayley is currently enjoying.

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge the interest shown, and the insights provided, by the contributors to this thread. I hope that 2017 is a great year for all. Cheers. HD.
Harley Dave

Postby livewire » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Harley Dave wrote:Wow - Bringing in the New Year (2017), with the lovely Hayley quaffing a Bacardi & Coke at my side, and googling an old song (For A While) which brought me to this thread.

Sadly, the HOB split due to differing views of the best way forward and, reading the posts here, one wonders if there WAS a best way forward for a six piece band playing original country music in the UK?

Now? Hayley hasn't abandoned the UK "CMC" scene, but her new five piece band has similar logistic issues with the fees available, so we tend to play more festivals and weekenders than clubs, plus we have our sights set on Europe, especially after the rave reception at Truckstop Festival in Denmark a few months back. .......If I were writing a review, I'd probably say that Hayley had discovered "Americana" and has obviously taken it to her heart, especially after the two of us did a few acoustic spots in Texas, earlier this year - actually "last year", now!! She wowed them, and we've been asked back to a few venues, there. We'll see, as regards that.

We've seen that away from the CMC Club & Festival circuit that acts like The Shires, Ward Thomas and Jess and the Bandits in band formats have had the success (with strong support teams behind them) with their modern image and making their own original material with the odd cover song thrown into their live sets or deluxe album track listings.

The frustrations on the CMC scene was it's members wanting to hear familiar stuff. Also we keep hearing of clubs closing with dwindling numbers and only able to pay for a duo or solo act.
After the break up of the Hayley Oliver Band I saw some of the former members in Liv Austen's backing band at C2C 2015 on the Brooklyn Bowl and it was a great set. Since then Liv has built up her profile but I've no idea but happened those HOB band members since then with websites and Facebook closed down.

Hayley's website hasn't been updated for 2 years. I've noticed one or two gigs for her in 2016 (more by chance) as don't follow her Facebook on a personal level.
If you hadn't of said I'd no idea she has a "new five piece band" though struggling again with "similar logistic issues" or that she played the Truckstop Festival in Denmark and Texas in 2016.

Nigel had said that Hayley would move forward with her own career and the remaining 5 members of the band would continue on a new project and they would be concentrating on a more Americana/ Country rock sound and not a covers band.
Now you're saying that "Hayley had discovered "Americana" in 2016. Interesting!
Last edited by livewire on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
livewire

Supreme Member

Postby Moshe » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:41 am

Good to see Hayley still doing her stuff.
I understand the financial logistics of playing clubs. I used to frequent a blues club, & we would often wonder at the financial impossibility of sustaining a four or five piece band at the takings of a small club which on quiet nights had maybe a dozen members in it.
Even difficult for a solo artiste.
Noted American country singer-songwriter Kinky Friedman faced similar issues as his band coming to the UK kept getting smaller till he began coming over as a solo artiste.

Anyway, best of luck to Hayley & her band in 2017! Have a good year
Moshe

Ultimate Member

Postby livewire » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:55 am

Moshe wrote:Good to see Hayley still doing her stuff.
Anyway, best of luck to Hayley & her band in 2017! Have a good year

As you're a Facebook friend of Hayley please keep us up to date in future
livewire

Supreme Member

Previous

Return to UK Country music